magic mask or sales hype

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: magic mask or sales hype

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:15 am

Some do, others are waiting . . .
Not many reviews, but you are welcome to look.

Marillion

Post by Marillion » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:16 am

It's not spam...feel free to opt out of their informational/promotional emails at any time that you want to.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:40 am

One review on their product page :
"This is the only full face cpap mask that has ZERO leaks. I have worn it for 5 nights now and checking my stats it shows no leaks. This is a first for me in all the years I've worn a mask. Its comfortable and I like the quick release on the hose and the magnetic clips on the lower straps. Resmed has a real winner with this memory foam mask!"

I am pretty happy with the AirFIT F20, but have requested the foam cushion to try.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:One review on their product page :
"This is the only full face cpap mask that has ZERO leaks. I have worn it for 5 nights now and checking my stats it shows no leaks. This is a first for me in all the years I've worn a mask. Its comfortable and I like the quick release on the hose and the magnetic clips on the lower straps. Resmed has a real winner with this memory foam mask!"

I am pretty happy with the AirFIT F20, but have requested the foam cushion to try.

Froggy, did you see the note on the product page "you have to replace the memory foam cushion every 30 days" that might pinch into the budget somewhat .
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:43 pm

nanwilson wrote:Froggy, did you see the note on the product page "you have to replace the memory foam cushion every 30 days" that might pinch into the budget somewhat .
Well it all depends upon what the meaning of "month" is... They say that for all of the cushions, as far as I can tell -- heck, I don't even wash mine once per month!

(Seriously -- on me the cushions leak a lot more when they are new. Even when I wash them they leak more. Apparently that coating of oils from my face helps the seal...)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:30 am

cathyf wrote:Well it all depends upon what the meaning of "month" is... They say that for all of the cushions, as far as I can tell -- heck, I don't even wash mine once per month!
They do recommend that for all cushions and I guess it remains to be seen just how long the memory foam will last. I imagine it will be just like all the other masks out there and some people will barely get 30 days and others will likely get more...now how much more we don't know as this foam thing is a whole other ball game and it can't be cleaned like the silicone can. Does it really need to be cleaned anyway....that's another question. Again I think it is going to depend a lot on the user's skin and facial oils.
I am like you....I do good to wash my stuff once a month...more often it's 2 or 3 months.
nanwilson wrote: that might pinch into the budget somewhat
It might if they end up finding the cushion only lasts 30 days and falls apart but here in the US with US insurance (I will use Medicare as example) the monthly cost wouldn't be horribly high. It would only be 20% of the allowable fee which is going to be a lot lower than the retail online price anyway.
I suspect the allowable amount will be similar to my nasal pillow allowable and my 20% that I pay for a nasal pillow amounts to around $6.
Now granted that for some people that $6 will be a pinch but for most it won't and some lucky people have supplemental policies that will pay the difference or they have other insurance that might even pay all of the cost.

For those that don't have any insurance or the small % out of pocket is a hardship then they have to decide if the benefit outweighs the cost factor or not.
Heck, they might find they get 3 months before it falls apart and they just absolutely love the mask otherwise and they just find a way to make it happen.

I wouldn't let that 30 day thing keep me from trying it though if I was of a mind to try it and then I could decide based on my own personal experience with it what I wanted to do about the cost of replacing it.
I doubt if I myself will try it unless they come out with a nasal pillow version. I haven't had such great luck with nasal cushions and for sure not interested at all in the full face version (don't like anything touching the bridge of my nose) so I probably won't go there unless someone ends up donating one in a package they send to me. It's been said that the N20 nasal cushion is like a marriage of the N10 and the Wisp ...I hated the Wisp and have never tried the N10 so I don't know how it will go. The only nasal mask I have ever been able to sleep with has been the Nano. Maybe when my DME gets the N20 I can try it and see because they will let me exchange it if I hate it. It's be a while though because they are always slow to get any new mask.

I think that this new foam cushion thing is going to be just like any mask out there...there's going to be lovers and haters of it for any number of reasons and the only way someone will know which way they will be (lover or hater) is to try it themselves.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:52 am

Wash a mask? Who knew?
I change my SleepWeaver cushion at least once a year. Haven't got around to washing one yet.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:29 am

When I was suffering with a Mirage Quattro, those cushions were designed to GTH in 30 days, anyway.
The foam screams out for a t-shirt liner, though. That should help.

Grouch

Post by Grouch » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:57 pm

I've tried it. For me - it's a magic mask. Really comfortable.

I've recently had to go to a full face mask after years of nasal pillow masks. Yes, I posted my tale of woe on that. I kept with it and finally got my F20 under control, but am not a fan of the feel of the silicone on my face.

When I saw this variation, I jumped on it! The first 2 nights were so so. Huge leaks. I spent an hour or so to get it so I could go to sleep. But it was comfortable!

By the 4th night the memory foam seemed to have adjusted. Maybe softened up a bit. The past 2 nights I haven't had to make any adjustments and there were no leaks. I've even gotten 2 nights of 0.00 AHI with it. I do think it needs a few days to "break in", so anyone else trying it out shouldn't give up on it too quickly if you get a lot of leaks at first.

I was concerned about the foam making the mask hot. I can't abide memory foam bed pillows, because of the heat. But that hasn't been a problem with this pillow.

They do caution you not to get the foam wet, so I've been cleaning it with mask wipes, which they suggest. Not sure how well that cleans the foam. And I don't know how well it will hold up in the long term in comparison to the silicone, but for now it's great.

I'll be getting more of these. They make the mask so much more comfortable. Since I'm on Medicare, I can get one pillow every month.

Dsimmons16

Post by Dsimmons16 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Some do, others are waiting . . .
I have been using the memory mask for about 3 months and I LOVE It!!!!! No marks, no leaks and it feels great. You will not be disappointed!!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 pm

I did finally get the Airtouch mask, and the fit is even better than the airfit F20.
I will only be using it on the rare occasion that my nose will NOT work at all;
because getting it is too big a hassle, since Resmed's dealer cost is higher than the Medicare allowable.
(((Also because I am so used to nasal pillows that I highly prefer the minimal mask)))
Mainly, Resmed is too greedy, and Medicare is too stingy. I pass . . .
Luckily, I do not HAVE to use a full face mask.

flightco

Post by flightco » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Some do, others are waiting . . .
I have been using the memory foam F20 for, I think, about 2 months now.

Have not tried to wash it and the performance seems the same as when new

I do have more problems with leaks, will try a liner tonight and see if that helps. I have to tighten the straps up quite a bit more than I did with my F10, I wish the foam was even thicker. I was picturing a half inch piece of memory foam that would melt into your face; so far not my experience but I must not hate it because I continue to use it.

Grouch

Post by Grouch » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 pm

I've been using this for just under 3 months now. Still loving it! I've worn the same cushion for 2 1/2 months with no problems. It probably can go at least a few more weeks. About half the nights now I'm getting an AHI of zero. My leak rate is under 3 L/min at most and usually hovers around zero to 1 L/min.

But it is a major pain to fit. I'd get the mouth straps adjusted and it would blow air in my eyes. I'd adjust the eye straps and it would leak around my mouth. Etc. It took me nearly an hour the first time to get a proper fit. But once I found the right combination, It stays steady night after night with no adjustments. Before I wash the mask section (not the cushion!) and headgear, I take a Sharpie and mark where the straps end, so I can put them back to the same spot later.

I do have to tighten it more than the silicon F20 cushion, but I think that's due to the foam. It has to compress a bit to fit to your face.

My DME doesn't carry this cushion or set yet, so I've been using the cushion with my F20 AirFit headgear. As far as I can tell the only difference between the F20 AirFit and the F20 AirTouch is the cushion type.

Omne

Post by Omne » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm

One thing, if it's actually memory foam it's reactive to body heat. Until it warms up it's not going to seal as well.

I already have the Airfit F20 so may as well give it a shot since I only have to buy the cushion.

I have way too many masks and probably too many machines....