ASV Questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tom One Tree

ASV Questions

Post by Tom One Tree » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Newbie here...recently diagnosed complex central/obstructive apnea, & I have an Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) unit on order.
Does anyone here use one & if so are nasal pillows compatible? Thanks!

Pugsy

Re: ASV Questions

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Yes, nasal pillow masks are compatible with the ASV models even at the higher pressures over 20 if the machine goes there.

They will work just fine. I have the ResMed S9 Adapt which is the ASV model name for the S9 line. S9 was prior to the AirSense/AirCurve 10 models.
ASV in the current ResMed machine would be the AirCurve 10 ASV.
There is a similar machine just recently released in the DreamStation model line by Respironics. I don't remember off the top of my head the exact name or model number but probably has "Auto SV" somewhere in the model name.

I would see pressures over 20 cm nearly every night and I have never used anything but a nasal pillow mask. Many, many years ago..no they wouldn't work but with the last 2 model lines nasal pillows could be used successfully.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:56 pm

I use resmed swift lt nasal pillows. I have to tape my mouth.

If you are in Las vegas, this seller has an asking price of $1,000 for a 2016 resmed aircurve ASV. Given that the seller won't ship, the price should be more.like $500 for a face to face exchwnge:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/2689489 ... 2c2ee15c51

TOM ONE TRE

Post by TOM ONE TRE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:07 pm

THANKS.....at this point I do not know the brand or model number of the ASV machine I will be receiving. The doctor spec'd it through a home health care middleman to Medicare. I should get it next week.
I am a nose breather & don't anticipate any issues in that area, but these are uncharted waters for me....so who knows.

Tom One Tree

Post by Tom One Tree » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:22 pm

xxy
No ASV titration yet...it is on order. Delivery & setup scheduled for the end of next week.
Had both CPAP & B/PAP titrations.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 pm

xxyzx wrote:what am i missing here

if you had a bipap titration that machine is code E0471
but an ASV is a code E0471 too
Your are missing the fact that there are 2 different HCPCS billing codes for non invasive bilevel devices and which one gets used depends on if it has a back up rate available or not.

The regular bilevel devices (non ASV) have the E0470 billing code....pretty much glorified cpap/apap with higher max pressure and wider PS range offered.
I suspect that the previous bilevel titration was with this regular bilevel device in hopes that it would be successful in dealing with the centrals and the OSA because sometimes it will work but didn't with the OP here so he gets to move on to the next step up in bilevel devices.

The bilevel devices that have backup rate available (either fixed or auto) have the billing code E0471...and that's what the ASV is because it has a back up rate available (among other things it can do that the regular bilevel devices can't).

An in lab titration study for the ASV is the more optimal way to go if at all possible because they can do the little tweaks on the fly as needed and to try to do the titration at home takes a lot more time and trial and error. They aren't as self adjusting as you might think and there are lots of little tweaks possible to get desired results. Can it be done at home...well, yeah but most docs and insurance companies won't let a person do it and it takes more time, more work and someone educated on all those little tweaks.
E0601 Continuous airway pressure (CPAP/APAP) device
E0470 Respiratory assist device, bi-level pressure (BiPAP) capability, WITHOUT backup rate feature, used with noninvasive interface, e.g., nasal or facial mask (intermittent assist device with continuous positive airway pressure device)
E0471 Respiratory assist device, bi-level pressure (BiPAP) capability, WITH backup rate feature, used with noninvasive interface, e.g., nasal or facial mask (intermittent assist device with continuous positive airway pressure device)
E0472 Respiratory assist device, bi-level pressure (BiPAP) capability, WITH backup rate feature, used with invasive interface, e.g., tracheostomy tube (intermittent assist device with continuous positive airway pressure device)

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:22 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
xxyzx wrote:what am i missing here

if you had a bipap titration that machine is code E0471
but an ASV is a code E0471 too
Your are missing the fact that there are 2 different HCPCS billing codes for non invasive bilevel devices and which one gets used depends on if it has a back up rate available or not.

The regular bilevel devices (non ASV) have the E0470 billing code....pretty much glorified cpap/apap with higher max pressure and wider PS range offered.
I suspect that the previous bilevel titration was with this regular bilevel device in hopes that it would be successful in dealing with the centrals and the OSA because sometimes it will work but didn't with the OP here so he gets to move on to the next step up in bilevel devices.

The bilevel devices that have backup rate available (either fixed or auto) have the billing code E0471...and that's what the ASV is because it has a back up rate available (among other things it can do that the regular bilevel devices can't).

An in lab titration study for the ASV is the more optimal way to go if at all possible because they can do the little tweaks on the fly as needed and to try to do the titration at home takes a lot more time and trial and error. They aren't as self adjusting as you might think and there are lots of little tweaks possible to get desired results. Can it be done at home...well, yeah but most docs and insurance companies won't let a person do it and it takes more time, more work and someone educated on all those little tweaks.
E0601 Continuous airway pressure (CPAP/APAP) device
E0470 Respiratory assist device, bi-level pressure (BiPAP) capability, WITHOUT backup rate feature, used with noninvasive interface, e.g., nasal or facial mask (intermittent assist device with continuous positive airway pressure device)
E0471 Respiratory assist device, bi-level pressure (BiPAP) capability, WITH backup rate feature, used with noninvasive interface, e.g., nasal or facial mask (intermittent assist device with continuous positive airway pressure device)
E0472 Respiratory assist device, bi-level pressure (BiPAP) capability, WITH backup rate feature, used with invasive interface, e.g., tracheostomy tube (intermittent assist device with continuous positive airway pressure device)
===========

not what they told me or the little i read
Pugsy is right, you're not right. that's all there is to it.

that statement works on multiple levels

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Tom One Tree...if you need further assistance feel free to register and send me a private message. Unlike mr know it all I actually have and use an ASV machine and kinda know what I am doing and talking about.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to bruise my fingers typing. I might as well be....

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Doesn't it seem a bit crazy to have to use private messages to cut through the BS?
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 pm

TASmart wrote:Doesn't it seem a bit crazy to have to use private messages to cut through the BS?
Yeah, well, maybe but I don't mind and would rather offer that then get into a pissing contest with mr know it all and show my butt here in this thread.
I am trying to keep my blood pressure down if possible....so as much for me as someone else before I say something not very ladylike.

I get private messages all the time from people who don't want to post on the forum because of all the not so nice interaction. Just letting Tom know that if he happens to feel that way that I don't mind PMs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Pugsy wrote:Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to bruise my fingers typing. I might as well be....
hmm.. now sees a whole class of posters on the forum as "the wall".....

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

trollhunter

Post by trollhunter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:04 am

that's very quickly answered:
You read some advertising brochures and take that for hard facts. (and from what it looks like you didn't got even got that right)
the more knowledgeable users here have real world experience.

that's leaves us with you beeing just a troll (and not even a good one) ... messing up threads, giving away really bad advice .. and in the end just messing up the threads

Tom One Tree

Post by Tom One Tree » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

WHOA....what have I started?
Folks, I am a total newbie, having not yet received my ASV unit...(next week). These billing codes & numbers are waaaay above my 'pay grade' at this time. I am fortunate that all of my testing, and ASV unit are covered by Medicare & my secondary insurance. I will meet with the home health care company that is supplying the unit next week. At that time it will be set up for me, to specifications from the doctor. I will be instructed in the use of the unit & take delivery at that time, with doctor followup in about six weeks...sooner if needed.
Thanks for the interesting input.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 am

It's not you, it's the forum. The use of the foe feature is strongly recommended for this forum.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very