Just Had A Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
richeastlack

Just Had A Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy

Post by richeastlack » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:23 am

Has anyone here had a tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy and CURED their OSA.
I'm on day 3 of the recovery and experiencing alot of pain and swelling but it's manageable.
Background Info:
21 yr old male
Very fit (not overweight at all)
Had kissing tonsils. VERY huge. ENT told me this surgery will change my life and get rid of this apnea.
Anyone here had any success or something positive to say???

Pugsy

Re: Just Had A Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:33 am

Well......if I had the the surgery and it cured me I sure wouldn't be hanging around a cpap help forum would I?

Time will tell if the surgery resolves your problem. There's no guarantee that even if it worked for someone else that it would also work for you...or if it failed for someone else that it will fail for you also.

I do wish you the best of luck though and hope that the surgery fixes your issues. Be sure to follow up with another sleep study once you are healed up to make sure one way or the other about the sleep apnea status. There's no way to tell for sure without another sleep study.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 am

richeastlack wrote:something positive to say
How about this:
CONCLUSIONS:
Substantial tonsillar hypertrophy can rarely cause OSA in adults. In the carefully selected patient a tonsillectomy should be considered an effective and safe surgical option for the treatment of this disorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10983961
Given that you
richeastlack wrote:Had kissing tonsils. VERY huge.
, I will say you were a carefully selected patient, and there is a high chance your sleep apnea is cured!!

Will you have a sleep study some months after recovery from the surgery?

richeastlack

Post by richeastlack » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:04 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
richeastlack wrote:something positive to say
How about this:
CONCLUSIONS:
Substantial tonsillar hypertrophy can rarely cause OSA in adults. In the carefully selected patient a tonsillectomy should be considered an effective and safe surgical option for the treatment of this disorder.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10983961
Given that you
richeastlack wrote:Had kissing tonsils. VERY huge.
, I will say you were a carefully selected patient, and there is a high chance your sleep apnea is cured!!

Will you have a sleep study some months after recovery from the surgery?
My plan is I feel no changes in energy levels or sleep quality in a few months I will surely have a study!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 am

richeastlack wrote:My plan is I feel no changes in energy levels or sleep quality in a few months I will surely have a study!
Good plan!

If you ever think about us when you are out there conquering tall mountains, post here again letting us know how you are doing. For the sake of others with enlarged tonsils, it would be good to have another tonsillectomy/sleep apnea success story to encourage them to consult with an ENT about surgery.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 am

richeastlack wrote:Has anyone here had a tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy and CURED their OSA.
I'm on day 3 of the recovery and experiencing alot of pain and swelling but it's manageable.
Background Info:
21 yr old male
Had kissing tonsils. VERY huge. ENT told me this surgery will change my life and get rid of this apnea.
I hope the ENT that told you that, was told by his TIRE DEALER, that Set of Tires he bought for his sports car would last forever TOO! Jim

It could change your life, everything we do does..
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:15 am

Tonsillectomy trends come and go.
Apparently, medicine has not figured them out fully--yet.
However, they are easy to reach, leave no visible scars, and are immensely PROFITABLE.
My folks had mine removed when I was six--and here I am now!

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:21 am

As usual, there are some nonsense answers. Did anyone even see that he had " kissing tonsils. VERY huge."?

Surgery is certainly indicated in that condition. Do you people just look at the subject line and post without reading? (Not you, Pugsy and Granny. Your comments show you read.)

xxyzx wrote:i would not remove tonsils unless badly infected
You for sure did not read; he clearly indicates he is in recovery from already having the surgery.

richeastlack

Post by richeastlack » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 pm

This picture was taken 2 days before surgery. This is how they've looked for YEARS and I've felt like crap for YEARS. So for anyone underestimating the size of my tonsils, here they are!!

Again, they are removed and I will stay updated to let everyone know if my symptoms of sleep apnea disappear!

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:02 pm

richeastlack wrote:Has anyone here had a tonsillectomy & adenoidectomy and CURED their OSA.
Background Info:
21 yr old male
I had a tonsillectomy when I was a little girl so can't speak to having it done as an adult. As has been said, it's worked for some and not so much for others. I hope you are one of the lucky ones! From the looks of those tonsils I'd say your doctor has a very good chance of being 100% correct. You'll know for certain when you have another sleep study. Much good luck and come back and tell us that the surgery worked for you!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:27 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Cereal Killer wrote:As usual, there are some nonsense answers. Did anyone even see that he had " kissing tonsils. VERY huge."?

Surgery is certainly indicated in that condition. Do you people just look at the subject line and post without reading? (Not you, Pugsy and Granny. Your comments show you read.)

You for sure did not read; he clearly indicates he is in recovery from already having the surgery.
==============

i read quite well thank you

he got taken
just like i did
only 50 years ago tonsil removal was the norm
medicine has changed since then

i can see problems if they were overly large and touching
but i dont see that causing apnea type problems

imho the surgeons love to do surgery if there is any hint of an excuse to start cutting things up
even if there is not a solid reason to do it for the patients OVERALL well being
eg they sub optimise and fixing a minor problem can often cause other bigger problems

XXYX, the google doctor has spoken.. he must have read a googled info sheet. so now HE/SHE knows the answers that are correct XXYX you are not always right, there are others that know how to do things and don't push their wrongful info here.

Rich, your tonsil looked HUGE, hope this works for you. Let us know how things go with your recovery and future apnea (or not) problems. Just don't listen to the google doctor, he just thinks he knows everything.
I had my tonsils out at age 29, long before I was found to have sleep apnea and they were huge too...... good luck to you.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm

I also had both mine out for infection reasons at age 4, and here I am, found out I has sleep Apnea, AHI 150 before treatment, now under 2. Using my XPAP. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:24 pm

xxyzx wrote:
nanwilson wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
Cereal Killer wrote:As usual, there are some nonsense answers. Did anyone even see that he had " kissing tonsils. VERY huge."?

==============

i read quite well thank you

he got taken
just like i did
only 50 years ago tonsil removal was the norm
medicine has changed since then

i can see problems if they were overly large and touching
but i dont see that causing apnea type problems

imho the surgeons love to do surgery if there is any hint of an excuse to start cutting things up
even if there is not a solid reason to do it for the patients OVERALL well being
eg they sub optimise and fixing a minor problem can often cause other bigger problems

XXYX, the google doctor has spoken.. he must have read a googled info sheet. so now HE/SHE knows the answers that are correct XXYX you are not always right, there are others that know how to do things and don't push their wrongful info here.

Rich, your tonsil looked HUGE, hope this works for you. Let us know how things go with your recovery and future apnea (or not) problems. Just don't listen to the google doctor, he just thinks he knows everything.
I had my tonsils out at age 29, long before I was found to have sleep apnea and they were huge too...... good luck to you.
Cheers
Nan
you have way too much faith in surgeons

i am a professional researcher and analyst
dont need to use whizdumb from the internet to support what i say

you pretty much disproved your claim
when you said you got apnea without the tonsils
kind of makes you wonder if it will stop him from having apnea
I stated I was 29 at the time, am now an old lady, time and other problems like asthma have made my whole body change..., your SURMISE is dead wrong again. Not so smart are you today.
And nobody cares what your profession is or was, you just like to keep stating it... makes you feel feel like a BIG guy or Gal huh.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:02 pm

nanwilson wrote: Not so smart are you today.
Bottom-of-the-alphabet brain wasn't smart yesterday, and he won't be smart tomorrow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:53 pm

nanwilson wrote:
xxyzx wrote:typical idiocy
Not so smart are you.
ftfy.

keep up the good work, Nan.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.