First week: pleased to have found this forum

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DerwentDiva

First week: pleased to have found this forum

Post by DerwentDiva » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:34 am

Hello everyone. I am so thrilled to have found this support group. The posts I have read so far are very informative.
I am newly diagnosed and about to head to bed for the third night with my loaner auto ResMed. My journey has been a bit strange, I went to the sleep medico and he thought I did not have SA based on the sleep disruptive symptoms my boyfriend described. I thought I would have a test anyway to rule it out as I seem to have been tired for years. I have crashed after work all too often and have trouble getting up in the morning as I am still tired but haven't fallen asleep while driving. I also didn't have headaches and didn't snore much. I went for a hospital based sleep clinic a few weeks back (I am in Tasmania Australia). The technician said the next morning he thought I was "borderline at most'. When my results were analysed they showed I was having 68 episodes per hour!
My first two mornings I have woken feeling like my lungs have had a workout but my brain fog already seems to be lifting. I am sitting here at the computer at 7.30 pm on Sunday night doing some data entry for a committee I'm on when last week I would have been in bed with my book.
I go back to the sleep doctor on Thursday when I will probably rent a machine for a few months to see what suits me best. I must admit all your posts on machines and pressures sounds rather confusing but I hope to be fully fluent in CPAP over coming months
Anyway, I'm just here now to say hi and thanks for the stories and information on this board.

zoocrewphoto

Re: First week: pleased to have found this forum

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:19 am

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are already having some success, so you are off to a good start. I found this forum my first day with cpap, so I was lucky too. Good start and a great place to get help with the little issues that popped up.

Also good that you did the sleep test anyway. Too many times, doctors either assume we don't have it, or they just don't even consider it. I wish I had been tested many years earlier. I knew I had it, but I didn't really understand what it was doing to me, so I didn't say anything. Looking back, my doctor should have suspected it several years before I asked her for a sleep study.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:26 am

Welcome to the forum.
I like your avatar.
One of the prettier matryoshkas I've seen.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 am

DerwentDiva wrote: I will probably rent a machine for a few months to see what suits me best.
Please make sure you get a suitable machine for this period. I would insist on a data-capable auto.

What are your pressure settings? What machine model do you have in mind?

Members are happy to help you get the right machine.

DerwentDiva

Post by DerwentDiva » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi ChicagoGranny
I'm not sure what the full pressure settings are yet. It starts at 4 when I turn it on but have no idea what the auto program does. I noticed this morning that my reading for last night was down to 14 episodes an hour so I assume my base pressure will need to go up. I go back on Thursday. I will definitely go for an auto machine as this is all new, and Greek, to me!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 am

DerwentDiva wrote:I go back on Thursday.
Make sure to get a copy of the summary of your sleep study. The summary is usually one or two pages.

Also, make sure to get a copy of the prescription for your machine.

DerwentDiva wrote:I went to the sleep medico and he thought I did not have SA based on the sleep disruptive symptoms my boyfriend described.
It's common for the diagnosis to be missed.

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:16 am

DerwentDiva wrote:Hi ChicagoGranny
I'm not sure what the full pressure settings are yet. It starts at 4 when I turn it on but have no idea what the auto program does. I noticed this morning that my reading for last night was down to 14 episodes an hour so I assume my base pressure will need to go up. I go back on Thursday. I will definitely go for an auto machine as this is all new, and Greek, to me!
you have been reading
If you aren't having a lot of CA, you might as well buy a machine at the end of the month trial, resmed 10 autoset or respironics dreamstation full auto. check prices online and ask.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 am

Just a reminder, since you live in Tasmania, you may need to use a reshipper if ordering from the US.
Some manufacturers prohibit shipment of their products outside of the US--but workarounds exist.

DerwentDiva

Post by DerwentDiva » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Just finished night 4, where the mask felt awkward all night and i wasn't sure if the machine was working. Only 6 hours sleep with 12 ahi average. My nose is inflamed where the mask touches - the perfect fashion accessory for a presentation i need to give this morning.
Any tips from the brains trust? I have to spend the night travelling for work so unlikely to have a good sleep tonight either. On the plus side, several colleagues commented how well Iooked yesterday. Imagine when the ahis get down to normal!

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 pm

DerwentDiva wrote:On the plus side, several colleagues commented how well Iooked yesterday.
Post photos!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Deadly--cute!

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:16 pm

get a full face mask fitted and swap them around as needed, a full face and nasal mask should be included in your trial month. it's better to give your nose a rest, than create a sore. the skin will toughen over time. I'd go back after work and get the minimum pressure put to your median number. If you want to you can adjust the pressure yourself. post the machine and model and you will be pointed to the information on how to do it,

Nedge

Post by Nedge » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:52 am

Welcome DerwentDiva from another Aussie newby

If you consider buying a machine from the US, have a look at the humungous post re CPAP on the Whirlpool forum - very long thread but good advice on codes to use for importing medical equipment and recommendations of providers who ship to Australia.

Re the attractive marks left by mask, I'm aware of a number of options recommended on this forum which may be better, but I successfully tried a small strip of "opsite flexifix" (only 2 nights before changing back to nasal pillows, and only cos that's what I happened to have in the cupboard). It's sort of like a thin plastic "skin" used to heal wounds and worked well for me to buffer the mask irritation Might be worth a try and I know you can get it in Aus.

Good luck with your apnea treatment!
"I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" -Ernest Hemingway

DerwentDiva

Post by DerwentDiva » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi all
Had a really good night's sleep even in motel. I put a bandaid on nose where nasal cup was pressing/rubbing. AHIs down to 6.5! I am nailing this!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:44 pm

When I had a mask that irritated my nose, I used either a band aid over the sore spot, or I would place a piece of moleskin on my nose at night. The RT I worked with when I first started treatment said that is what her husband did to keep his mask from irritating his nose.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.