Some people are really cranky here...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tedtomato

Some people are really cranky here...

Post by tedtomato » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:07 pm

I haven't really seen a public forum where so many people are rude and cranky. Seems to be specific to this forum, and the moderators are doing nothing to stop it, which is a shame.

I am assuming that all those so called experts in CPAP therapy must have managed to adjust their therapy perfectly, are therefore sleeping well, and feel the need to share their experience and wisdom.

But wait, being so cranky is usually one of the symptoms of lack of sleep...

Are we getting advice from people who can't actually sleep???

Uncle_Bob

Re: Some people are really cranky here...

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:20 am

tedtomato wrote:

No, just people with different AHI's

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:25 am

Between the cranky people and those who post inane garbage to get their post count up, there are a handful of decent people who stay to help new folks. Unfortunately they are in the minority these days.

Hence my signature.

Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 am

Moderators...what moderators?

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:11 am

tedtomato wrote:I haven't really seen a public forum where so many people are rude and cranky. Seems to be specific to this forum, and the moderators are doing nothing to stop it, which is a shame.
There's your answer. This is a self moderated forum. I think this forum is representative of society - personalities galore. Some of the grouchy ones are quite knowledgeable, others seem to add little but their grousing. If you hang around for a while, it becomes predictable. Some seemed poised to pounce, just waiting for somebody to misspeak so they can be demeaning. And then there's the pile-on crew with their various ways to rephrase and reiterate the original mentioned "offense". It's really not that many members who are ugly acting - could probably count them on one hand. It's just that they are prolific posters. Some would be grouchy no matter how much sleep they got. Some are living with chronic and/or serious illness. If one feels there is a value to the information gained here, they can always "foe" the personalities they don't appreciate and see less of the grousing. It is unfortunate when the pack attack happens to new people. Sad behavior for self proclaimed help forum. But like I was saying, I find the vast majority of the members here helpful and pleasant. And oddly enough I feel if I needed help from one of the less friendly types, I believe even they would be right there to help me. I've had it happen on multiple occasions. Some of the most notorious personalities over the years have reached out to me in the background and offered help. Doesn't excuse their public behavior, I know. We each have to follow our conscience on when to speak up and how.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 am

kteague wrote:Some would be grouchy no matter how much sleep they got. Some are living with chronic and/or serious illness.
Prudent advice from long time member kteague who I have never ever seen exhibit that kind of behavior even while she has had mountains to climb in her life.

Like she said some have undiagnosed problems beyond the scope of this forum and others have no clue they have personality problems. There are those who just have so much anger in their lives that it spills out all over and they have no clue (you can't tell them either). Then there are those who have accomplished little in their life and get satisfaction from belittling others - they pick on tiny minute details (that don't matter) to make them feel perfect while other just pile on after others have started the rudeness - its a type of group/gang mentality where they feel safe in numbers and for unknown reasons want to be one of the crowd.

Others just hate for no known reasons mostly just cuz they don't know you. Odd I know. Then of course, there are those who will complain no matter what - they are just miserable, unhappy people - you know the old saying, "Misery loves company".

Unfortunately, these people thrive in an unmoderated forum and seem to multiply.

Then there is the addiction factor - I don't know if you noticed last weekend when the forum was basically unusable for two days - after it came back online some were noticeably moody and appeared to be going thru some withdrawl. Was it because they couldn't insult someone? Couldn't get their fix?

All that aside, there is a lot of useful information in this forum. So take what can and will help - leave the mod swings and unhappiness behind for those who have no self-control to waddle in.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:30 am

tedtomato wrote:Are we getting advice from people who can't actually sleep???
Why are you so cranky?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:17 am

Here we go again....

Sheriff

bigdave36

Post by bigdave36 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:26 am

I think, given the subject matter, that the variety of posters here help keep it interesting. If you are thin skinned,though, this may not be the best place for ya.
Just my opinion...

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:51 am

Lucyhere wrote:.
Between the cranky people and those who post inane garbage to get their post count up, there are a handful of decent people who stay to help new folks. Unfortunately they are in the minority these days.

Hence my signature.

Totally agree with LH and that recent thread attacking Jane Asimov for being a spammer was a disgrace to this forum. Unfortunately, I shouldn't have been surprised but I still stunned at how heartless people are.

Hence the quotes that Pugsy gave me permission to use that are so applicable.

49er

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:01 am

Sadly, it's not just on this forum. People in general are cranky, selfish and just downright rude. The anonymous nature of the forum makes easier, but I see it every time I venture out into the real world.

As someone who is disabled and gets around in a power wheelchair, I see a lot of kindness and I truly appreciate it when some stranger helps my husband by holding open a door so I can get through or gets something off a high shelf for me when my husband is in another aisle. And I thank them profusely.

I also see a TON of rudeness. I've had people intentionally block my path, park over lines next to handicap spots (thus making the other spot unusable by someone like me) and I've even had people look at me like I have no business being out in the world, disabled. They look down on me with total disgust as though my being alive is an insult to them. I know that sounds bizarre, but it's happened to me more than once.

Yes, this forum has a lot of rudeness (unnecessary IMHO) but it's there. It's everywhere now. This forum isn't unique on that front for sure.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:34 am

Great points Madalot.

On a related note, a few weeks ago, I was hospitalized because my immune system tanked from chemotherapy. I found that hospitals are a great microcosm of society. Some medical professionals were very kind and helpful and others I hoped to god I never crossed paths with them again. One nurse, whom I initially took a dislike to for various reasons ended up being the most helpful.

Because I got extremely agitated from an antibiotic being run at the maximum infusion rate, she suggested lowering it and while it didn't completely eliminate the problem, the effects were alot more tolerable. I made sure this was put in my chart so that all the nurses would follow the protocol. One, unfortunately, didn't and tried to claim this couldn't be done but I set him straight.

Back to your situation - I would love to know what goes on in the brain of people who are so mean to folks with disabilities. Not that one should be mean to anyone but it must take a special kind of a---h to act that way to someone in your situation.

Danmarsengill@aol.com

Post by Danmarsengill@aol.com » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:11 am

I was and am having sleep problems. I posted once seeking advice. I got only one helpful response. The rest was posturing. And , almost unbelievably, two responders got into a long multi response argument over a CPAP technicality.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:42 am

tedtomato wrote:I haven't really seen a public forum where so many people are rude and cranky. Seems to be specific to this forum, and the moderators are doing nothing to stop it, which is a shame.

I am assuming that all those so called experts in CPAP therapy must have managed to adjust their therapy perfectly, are therefore sleeping well, and feel the need to share their experience and wisdom.

But wait, being so cranky is usually one of the symptoms of lack of sleep...

If you were truly informed you would know there are NO moderators here. There are forums that post pictures and videos of Puppies and Kittens, maybe they have mod's and XPAP advice too. Google for them. Jim
Last edited by Goofproof on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:18 am

Nobody is changing this forum.
If we want to use it, we sniff the roses carefully.
We can curse the thorns until we are out of breath;
but they will still be thorns.