Claustrophobic Having a Hard Time

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: Claustrophobic Having a Hard Time

Post by Julie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:01 am

You say you take a long time falling asleep now (re using the ramp) but has it occurred to you that you'll likely sleep a lot sooner if you're getting enough air - after adjusting pressures?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:38 am

Thank you wrote:My wife tells me to not look at it so negatively but look at the positives, but i am finding that very difficult and i find that it is easier to say than actually do.
LISTEN to your wife, and stop putting words in her mouth. Maybe a quiet, peacefully sleeping you is more attractive than the snoring, gagging person you were... Or maybe she gets a sexy fighter pilot vibe...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:54 am

When I first got my cpap, I was worried about sharing hotel rooms with my friends when we travel since I felt awkward with the mask on. But then I remembered how embarassed I was to snore all night and keep them awake. The cpap is so much better. My friends were all amazed at how quiet was. My sister doesn't yell at me all night and keep me awake (She thinks I get quiet because she makes me roll over, but the truth is I am uncomfortable on that side, so I am quiet because I am awake.)

Using my cpap keeps me from being embarassed because I am not apologizing for disturbing somebody else's sleep.

I do have to be careful when sharing a bed as I don't want my exhaust blowing on the other person. I have to sleep on the other side of the bed so that I aimed away from them when sleeping on my better side.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

OboeVet

Post by OboeVet » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:04 am

It took about 5 visits in 6 months to get the minimum pressure raised, the maximum lowered, try several different mose-hoses and full face masks. Thankfully, I had a superb DME (Durable Medical Equipment) vendor and great support team at VA.

Next, I had made a promise not to drop out for 6 months for a Post Traumatic Stress & CPAP-APAP study with a very small research cohort. So, I started a little mind game: I would prepare for sleep by thinking I was on a long range B-52 bomber mission where all crew had to be on oxygen masks in case of depressurization, or you would die. So, to get my 2 hours of sleep time (guessed flight duty schedule was like Guard Duty in Vietnam ... 2 hrs down & 4 hrs on) I had to quickly drop off. I pretended to check in with the Flight Deck reporting on the mask ready for rack time. I also had been wearing foam earplugs for a couple of years (due to my beloved ' s snoring), which I always did when I used to travel by commercial air lines.

So, nicely pester your support team to get the machine to fit you, not the other way around. Glean every good idea from this virtual community, CPAP Talk was a huge contributer to getting me started, and helping me describe waking up suffocating and ripping the mask off (too low minimum), walking up with leaks and ripping the mask off (too high maximum) and changing masks several times to find a mask that did not require cinching the straps so tight I wore a hole on the bridge of my nose. For me the F&P Simplus is the one that "floats" on my face, including sleeping on my sides.

DON'T GIVE UP! Set reasonable targets for working up to 4 hours of treatment per night and if you can take naps on days off. When I woke up for the first time in decades of OSA feeling totally relaxed, rested and feeling all is well, I was hooked on CPAP-APAP. For me, the added bonus of getting REM sleep is the frequency and severity of my nightmares has dropped almost to zero!

All the best on your "new normal."

Don

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:49 pm

A cpap mask's similarity to many exciting and heroic other masks opens up the possibilities for fantasy.
Creative imagery can help in many ways.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:59 pm

I would really focus on making sure your mask is comfortable. I'm not sure how to do that, but, there are some great suggestions from others above. I knew almost instantly, that the full mask that I tried on was not going to work at all. I switched to a Nasal Pillow and was immediately much more comfortable. With a little practice, I learned that it didn't need to be tight and that I could get excellent treatment and be comfortable.

I won't say that I love it, but, what I do love is the confidence that I am protecting my health. I want to keep my brain and heart healthy. Without proper oxygen, I can't do that properly. I think that once you have some level of success with the treatment, you begin to feel more positive about it. While, I haven't really struggled with many issues, I still think it's a matter of getting your mind ready. With the right mindset and proper feedback, I think you have a much better chance of feeling good about it.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

Muttmom

Post by Muttmom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Has anything gotten better for you.
I never found an option that worked for me and quite frankly, I felt like they just didn't care that they were actually destroying my sleep and making me miserable

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:51 pm

OMG! YES.
Within a month, my boss commented that my memory and concentration had dramatically improved.
Within a week, I was no longer dozing off at my desk, during a movie, or WHILE DRIVING.
The very first day, I woke up without the usual hangover-type headache.
In about 90 days, I suddenly realized I could RUN 2 blocks, where previously, I could not run over 100 feet
without stopping to catch my breath.
I am sure cpap has saved my life many times, as there had been times I felt so terrible it didn't matter.