Another AirMini experience

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robo2084

Another AirMini experience

Post by robo2084 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:03 am

Hi everyone, I did wind up getting the AirMini. I love the overall formfactor of the product (everything fits in a small handy bag it would be easy to travel with). But, as others have pointed out, I am disappointed that the mask makes more breathing noise. (I measured 45db at the mask on exhale.) Even worse, at least on my mask I hear a very slight high pitched sound. Has anyone else heard that? I noticed that the ventilation design on the mask is different than the regular P10 Nasal Mask; it doesn't have the mesh, rather the air vents at the connection between the mask and the hose. I wonder if this design is part of the problem? Unfortunately there is no easy way to plug a regular P10 mask on to try that. Any plastics experts want to try to design an adaptor?!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Another AirMini experience

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am

3-D printing.
Or wait until Resmed . . . (Not likely)
--45 decibels, you say?
Hmmm.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed May 31, 2017 10:24 am

If you were using a decibel sensor App on your phone, make sure there wasn't any air actively blowing on the phone it self. This could register louder then the sound it self the mask was making.

I can understand if the mask it self is louder though. I had an issue with the new F20 being louder then the F10. That and the air vents were built into the elbow instead of the mask seal frame so I'm sure the vents wouldn't be replaced as often as the seals, like with the F10. I wound up sending my F20 back for another F10.

I look forward to trying one of the new units but May have an issue as I'm used to heavy humidity and a heated hose. I wonder if the unit would work with the F10 mask?

Thanks for the update and your thoughts.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed May 31, 2017 10:51 am

Also the distance you measure from has a huge bearing on the decibel level, as does the type of weighting. The standard we used when I was doing acoustical work was dB(a) at 3'. That's the number the manufacturers are likely to quote to you, Make sure your measurement device is using A weighting and at 3' else you are comparing apples to kiwi fruits.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

DennyB

Post by DennyB » Wed May 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Given the noisy mask problem, have you tried to use regular tubing on the unit's outlet to allow use of different masks? I know this would preclude use of the 'humidifier', but I for one would like to know if it's possible. If I could use this tiny quiet machine with my silent Eson mask I would be more inclined to purchase.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm

From cpap.com's product page, a regular hose
WILL NOT CONNECT TO THE AIRMINI
please try to keep up.

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi all, thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, I don't pretend that the db level means anything - honestly I didn't mind the air sound, it was just the very slight whistle that I found irritating. I am going to give it a go sleeping with it a few nights -- I don't actually think it's a deal killer. At least unlike the Z1 unit, the actual breath programming feels identical to Resmed's bigger units, so I didn't feel like a hurricaine was blowing up my nose like I did on the Z1. I'm going on a trip next week, so I'm going to see how it goes and will report back. But I'd love to find a solution to the whistle! (Again I am using the nasal pillows, might be different with the other masks.)

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:46 pm

I am sure someone will come up any time soon with a cheap piece of plastic/adapter to connect a standard hose to the AirMini machine, and therefore enable the use of standard masks. ResMed can't really prevent this from happening, and won't be able to force people for long to use their noisy masks and tubes.

What are they thinking!?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:56 pm

tedtomato wrote:I am sure someone will come up any time soon with a cheap piece of plastic/adapter to connect a standard hose to the AirMini machine, and therefore enable the use of standard masks. ResMed can't really prevent this from happening, and won't be able to force people for long to use their noisy masks and tubes.

What are they thinking!?
Doing so may undo the correct data, if that's concern. Jim
Usually there are reasons why things are done, it's usually greed, bit sometimes it's engineering limits!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Goofproof wrote:Usually there are reasons why things are done, it's usually greed, bit sometimes it's engineering limits!
I was reading on the ResMed website about the "these masks only" requirement and from what I read it has to do with the venting.
Apparently there are some vents on the connector and those added to whatever mask (that they recommend) ends up being the proper venting. I would be afraid to mess with jerry rigging up something else to use a different mask or hose or connector in case that venting was critical. It's more than just the data that might get messed up...there's the risk of too much carbon dioxide or too little (which could trigger centrals).

Now maybe they are just being greedy and wanting to force people to use ResMed specific masks but maybe there is something really important in terms of therapy and/or blowing off that carbon dioxide we exhale but I for one wouldn't want to risk it myself.
I can't find the exact page on ResMed where I read that explanation but it was enough for me that if I was to use the Mini I wouldn't go screwing with the connectors or masks because I wouldn't want to wake up dead worst case or even a good headache from the imbalance between oxygen and carbon dioxide.

So it might be greed but it might also be some specific engineering requirements. Or heck, it might be both.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Agree, I won't mess with it unless ResMed comes up with an approved connector to alternate masks (I'm not holding my breath - so to speak - on that happening).

I did sleep with it last night, and overall I found it fine. Indeed it was a little noisier but not enough to really interfere with my sleep. (According to my Fitbit I actually got more REM sleep than normal, and my AHI was one of my lowest readings ever, 0.5.) I think it would be easy to get used to. For travel, I am going to accept the trade off in lightening my load by a few pounds.

I did find that I had to set the exhale setting to 3 instead of 2 to make it comfortable, and I also reduced my starting pressure from 6 to 5 - for whatever reason 6 on the Airmini felt a lot stronger to me than 6 on the Airsense.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:27 pm

robo2084 wrote:I did find that I had to set the exhale setting to 3 instead of 2 to make it comfortable, and I also reduced my starting pressure from 6 to 5 - for whatever reason 6 on the Airmini felt a lot stronger to me than 6 on the Airsense.
Both prob have to do with the narrower hose. The lower AHI could have to do with an increase in the pressure or the inability to detect events thru the narrow hose.

robo2084

Post by robo2084 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Guest wrote:Both prob have to do with the narrower hose. The lower AHI could have to do with an increase in the pressure or the inability to detect events thru the narrow hose.
But if the pressure is an absolute number in cmH2O shouldn't that be the adjustment for the hose size?

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:59 pm

robo2084 wrote:
Guest wrote:Both prob have to do with the narrower hose. The lower AHI could have to do with an increase in the pressure or the inability to detect events thru the narrow hose.
But if the pressure is an absolute number in cmH2O shouldn't that be the adjustment for the hose size?
Certainly. It's a beta model. I never by a car the 1st yr they make changes.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 pm

You will always be driving a old model, after the first year they can make it cheaper in quality, more profit for them. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire