Can I change the pressure on my Resmed S8?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GoofyUT

Sigh....

Post by GoofyUT » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:27 pm

And your point is, Laura?
People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

GoofyUT

I agree!!!

Post by GoofyUT » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:32 pm

Snoredog wrote:
Wulfman wrote:Recent posts by GoofyUT:
GoofyUT wrote:DON'T MESS WITH YOUR LIFE. Period.

Its HIS life and I AIN'T GONNA DO ANYTHING TO HELP HIM POTENTIALLY COMPROMISE OR END IT!!!
And then you give him the instructions to change his pressure.....

Hmmmmm......Does anybody see an hyprocrisy here?

Den
I think there is a distinct difference between using an autopap for obtaining a diagnosis and doing a self-titration.

Kurtchan has been a member here reading and responding to posts for some time and I have no doubt is familar with OSA, self-titration and warnings posted.

It is that non-PSG "autopap diagnosis" that I don't totally agree with because you simply cannot see if you have other sleep disorders besides OSA such as central apnea, RLS or PLMD. Then my experience is nearly ALL autopaps on the market today screw up every now and then and incorrectly score central events as obstructive, snoring and snore detection with pressure response only increases that risk failure, so for that reason I believe every patient should at least have one PSG so they know where they stand disorder-wise. Once you know where you are at, I have no problems with self-titration, hopefully one is knowledgeable enough to spot when the machine screws up. I don't think anyone wants to use more pressure than they need.
And YES, I do COMPLETELY agree with Snore dog here.

C
People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:32 pm

DreamStalker wrote:It is not trivial that 100% of apnea sufferers will die of apnea or its complications
100% of any group will certainly die from something!

My comment was specifically on the claim to accuracy. An APAP based assessment approach cannot be "accurate" as far as I can see, in either clinical or engineering terms, though it may be a useful "approximation" for a variety of purposes.
Wulfman wrote:15%?......I'd be willing to bet that at least that many of the titrations done by sleep doctors are WRONG.

Given that complex sleep apnea syndrome has not been identified for that long, and the Mayo Clinic research which came up with the 15% occurence indicator for it was only published a year or so ago, that could be correct in terms of historical data, and could be largely consistent with the benefit of hindsight from the point of current knowledge.

If you are suggesting that sleep physicians/clinics get tritations consistently wrong to that level within the contemporaneous body of knowledge on apnea based sleep disorders available at the time the tritations were done, then please back that up with some evidence.

Cheers,

Bill

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:11 pm

billbolton wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:It is not trivial that 100% of apnea sufferers will die of apnea or its complications
100% of any group will certainly die from something!

My comment was specifically on the claim to accuracy. An APAP based assessment approach cannot be "accurate" as far as I can see, in either clinical or engineering terms, though it may be a useful "approximation" for a variety of purposes.
OK ... you got me

I should have been more specific as in ... "premature" death of apnea or its complications.

My point was that even though ... "An APAP based assessment approach cannot be accurate as far as I (and Bill) can see, in either clinical or engineering terms, though it may be a useful approximation for a variety of purposes" ... it is still better than certain "premature" death.

Pappy dreams!

- roberto

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:03 pm

Snoredog wrote:this is one of the rare times I agree with chuck, you shouldn't be doing that.
Gosh it is nice seeing Goofy and Snoredog playing well together!

Must be the holiday spirit!

ThunderSnorem

Post by ThunderSnorem » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:05 pm

Obviously I am still having problems being able to stay logged in and post multiple times. The last one was me!

michael_schaap

Post by michael_schaap » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:11 pm

I thought I was going to die any moment from smashing in a tree at 45 MPH