Acid Reflux vs Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:04 pm

chrisp wrote:All eggs are white till the chicken paints them brown on the way out the gate .
Are you suggesting that chickens who lay brown eggs ... poop them out?

Liam, who debated whether this was too gross to post, and then realized: He's Liam. There's nothing too tasteless for him to post.

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:08 pm

From apnea to chickens

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:41 pm

Hey guys,

I just noticed that wader has enter the "auto link" realms of Liam.

Thanks Johnny!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

melody

Post by melody » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:42 pm

This is my first post. I have GERD and apnea. When the acid goes up to my lungs EVEN WITH THE CPAP I think I am going to die.
melody

melody

Post by melody » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:43 pm

This is my first post. I have GERD and apnea. When the acid goes up to my lungs EVEN WITH THE CPAP I think I am going to die.
melody

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:47 pm

Welcome Melody,

Do you take anything for the GERD? What you describe makes me cringe. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Have you had any problems with aerophasia (ingesting air) while using cpap? I'm curious if people with GERD (reflux) are more suseptable to aerophasia.

Hope all else is going well for you!
Sincerely,

melody

Post by melody » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:54 pm

Dear wading,
Never heard of aerophasia.
I take the purple pill every night
I work (at the library) till 8 PM. At home, my husband has supper ready--usually with a glass of wine. He will have eaten already as he goes to bed at 8:35 (prompt). I lay down next to him--whatever--but get up again, as I know I need to sit up 2-3 hours after eating. Usually I hit the CPAP by midnight. I just never know when an episode will occur.
My internist just told me to raise the head of my bed 6 inches.
melody

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:00 pm

Melody,

Though the wine sound relaxing in the evening, it is probably not a good thing regarding the GERD. Try a glass of warm milk. (or cold if you prefer)
I wish I could hit the hay at 8:35(prompt). My kids don't buy into that plan.
Sincerely,

melody

Post by melody » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:10 pm

We sent both kids to the Air Force.
I always pulled Mommy duty and just assumed constant fatigue was the norm. Even tho empty nest does not end the worry and concern you have for your children, you do expect to get rested at night. Apnea of course robs rest.
So I'll drink more milk.
melody

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:29 pm

melody wrote:This is my first post. I have GERD and apnea. When the acid goes up to my lungs EVEN WITH THE CPAP I think I am going to die.
I was there. I looked at surgical solutions but they are not very pretty. I ended up having the Enteryx procedure done. SOOO glad I did it!! Enteryx I am no longer taking Prevacid twice a day, or Reglan. the procedure sure beats having a Nissen Fundoplication...

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:16 pm

Hi GOOfy217,

Thanks for this thread, I really appreciate it!!

First - please post any receipe's for the Italian cooking - garlic, aahhhhh just love it!

Recently diagnosed with Barrett's syndrome and now take Prevacid 30 mg twice a day. This costs app $140 a month but have drug plan, thank God.

I never noticed I had reflux, only took Tums once in a while, probably after a great Italian dinner with the spicy tomato sauce. If the APAP can get me off the Prevacid it would be great! The reflux surgeon told me I'm on pills for the rest of my life so next time I see him I'll suggest weaning off as you suggested to see what he thinks.

Please keep us posted on your experience.

Thanks

Bob F
unclebob

dankazoo

GERD

Post by dankazoo » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:38 pm

I have also fought this miserable problem. At this point, I'm not on prescription drugs to handle occasional episodes. However, my gastro recommended Gaviscon as an OTC that works while you are lying down. I just keep some bedside in case of a flareup and it seems to handle it well. It is not cheap, but costs a lot less than prescriptions.

Dan, who has also been known as Wyatt Uuuurp.

G00fy217

Post by G00fy217 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:21 am

I would like to thank you all for your replies and concerns!! (I feel like I just won an emmy )

Anyways.... I am on the "Purple Pill" (my favorite color) and I didn't realize it was an addictive pill as mentioned somewhere on here..... but I was only taking it for about 2 weeks (not enough time to get addicted to it, I guess). Last night was my first night without any Meds for the reflux..... I will tell you this....

At first, while lying on the couch (with the TV watching me, I may add) I could feel the reflux coming up, which woke me up.... I then, went to bed and put on my mask (still haven't come up with a good mask name yet) and went to sleep..... I had a great night sleep!! No Reflux!! So, I think this little experiment might just be good.... I am still not going to bet on it until Monday!!

I feel like I am in a Twisted Mood today.....

OK... that's enough of my twisted comments for today!!! Talk to you all later on!!
Laughter never killed anyone..... Go ahead, laugh! It's good for you!! ;-)

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:24 am

Clearly, the pressure is holding the acid in your stomach.

I have no idea by what mechanism apnea "causes" reflux, although I guess thinking about it, I've always had more problems with heartburn on nights I didn't sleep well too.

But great for you, if it helps!

Liam, whose heart burns for only one special lady.... and a batch of stomach acid. Not to equate the two.

melody

Post by melody » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:59 am

My doc told me struggling to breathe brought the acid up
melody