What's Going On With The Forum

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wannabe poster AKA Lenscap

Re: What's Going On With The Forum

Post by Wannabe poster AKA Lenscap » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:54 pm

"I tried to join the forum on July 7 and got an email saying "Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another e-mail when this has occurred." Haven't heard anything since then. Can someone help me?"

Me too, tried to join a week ago, still waiting to get activated.

Is there another step I can take?

Guest 3

Post by Guest 3 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm

EdNerd wrote:
Guest two wrote:
Holden4th wrote: ...I feel that the majority would support the move.
And I disagree
And if you posted under a registered username, your opinion might even have a bit of weight.

Ed
Mr ED,
With an avatar like you have exactly how much weight do you think your opinion really has?

I can't hear you.

RonS

Post by RonS » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 am

D.H. wrote:What was done to this forum is a fairly classic case of a "Denial of Service" attack.
Not even close, it was Just a spam attack, pure and simple.

In a DoS attack, the goal is to prevent anyone from using the services which never really occurred here: Old posts were easy to find, and the spam posts were easy to delete in real time, albeit voluminous. A DoS usually uses a more technical approach at overwhelming the server(s) of the victim, one that is lightweight to the sending servers and doesn't require much in terms of resources from them.

Just a simple flood protection would have saved the forum a lot of hassle. More complex checks could be done to have targeted the type of spam being received; in this case language detection would likely have helped.

In any case, SPAMMERS SUCK

MimiVader

Post by MimiVader » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:32 pm

I still can not sign in or post.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 am

MimiVader wrote:I still can not sign in or post.
You just posted. Don't have to sign in to post. You just posted.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Hey i cant log in now. get this error message:

"The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator."

it has been a while since i been here, maybe yrs. i cant register and get any email sent to me. how do i get this resolved. is this part of the bot shutdown procedure affecting me ???

thnx Rod ( rodhuy)

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 am

among the posts which were deleted this week
was this one from the
Power adapter failed. Anyone in SC have an extra thread
723qns wrote:
Zeds wrote:
723qns wrote: here is yet another perfect example of a regular member who just doesn't like guests derailing yet another thread by not offering something positive to the op but attacking what someone else has offered.
this is just way too common on this forum
talk to the op with positive ideas instead
How can I report a post? I don't like gratuitous nastiness.
i don't think you would recognize gratuitous nastiness if it bit you, so here are a few samples.
Pugsy wrote: Sorry. I have no way to know who is using what readers and what shows or doesn't show.
Pugsy wrote:
#1Guest wrote:Still think in the Subject line gets more attention but so be it, keep it in the sig line.
I suppose not but then if we go down that road we can't be sure that the equipment profile is a sure thing either..so why bother with it either?
Or they may not even state the correct equipment in the body of the post either.
there is more but Id have to make another post

wasnt it pugsy who was tellin everyone to ignore the guests posts

Sheepy

Post by Sheepy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:46 pm

[Sorry for reposting this, but I'm still waiting for some sort of response. It's been almost a couple of weeks.]

I tried registering for this forum at the beginning of last week, and I received the message below at the bottom, but I'm still waiting for the administrator to activate my account.

I tried sending the message right below the next day, but I still haven't received a response.

As I've mentioned, I look forward to beginning to post fully.

Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:56 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Welcome to "CPAPtalk"

Hello,

After doing quite a bit of reading on the forum, I'm looking forward to my account being activated so I can begin posting fully. How long does this typically take?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:24 PM
To:
Subject: Welcome to "CPAPtalk"

Welcome to CPAPtalk forums

Please keep this e-mail for your records. Your account information is as
follows:

----------------------------
Username: Sheepish
Password: xxxxxxxx

Board URL:
----------------------------

Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will
need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another e-mail
when this has occurred.

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database
and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password
you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this
account.

Thank you for registering.

--
cpaptalk

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Sheepy wrote:[Sorry for reposting this, but I'm still waiting for some sort of response. It's been almost a couple of weeks.]

I tried registering for this forum at the beginning of last week, and I received the message below at the bottom, but I'm still waiting for the administrator to activate my account.

I tried sending the message right below the next day, but I still haven't received a response.

Thank you

You can post just as you have posted here. I am not understanding what it means to "post fully"?

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 pm

You can post just as you have posted here. I am not understanding what it means to "post fully"?

-------

If you're registered people don't see a huge number of inane "also posted as" names in the left column.

Does anyone know where the forum gets those alias names? They make no sense to me.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:05 am

SnoringInOregon wrote:You can post just as you have posted here. I am not understanding what it means to "post fully"?

-------

If you're registered people don't see a huge number of inane "also posted as" names in the left column.

Does anyone know where the forum gets those alias names? They make no sense to me.
Not much you can do about either problem so either don't let it both you or don't post. Neither of those things you have any control over.

Take this opportunity to read, read, and read some more. Then learn to search, your problem or question has probably been answered more than 53 times.

Total posts in this forum 1,120,404 • Total topics 101,164

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 am

SnoringInOregon wrote: Does anyone know where the forum gets those alias names? They make no sense to me.
Has something to do with IP address and not being logged in. Forum software mistakenly tries to remember so and so from so and so IP address and attribute the person to that forum ID. Problem is that more than one person might accidentally be using the same IP address...so the forum software lists everyone when in reality it's probably no one.

Ignore it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Guest wrote:
Sheepy wrote:[Sorry for reposting this, but I'm still waiting for some sort of response. It's been almost a couple of weeks.]

Thank you

• - photos
    - formatting (e[dot]g[dot], this list)
    - URLs
    - email notifications of responses or additional posts in a thread
    - notifications
    - absurd warnings, for example:
    -- WARNING: Your Message Has Not Yet Been Posted
    To prevent spam, guests may not post links or images to CPAPtalk[dot]com.
    Please register or remove the following content from your post:
    e[dot]g[dot]
    -- WARNING: Your Message Has Not Yet Been Posted
    To prevent spam, guests may not post links or images to CPAPtalk[dot]com.
    Please register or remove the following content from your post:
    cpaptalk[dot]com.
    - editing of posts, for example for spelling mistakes
    - etc.

Sheepy

Post by Sheepy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:43 pm

..that was me above.

Add to the list:

- not being able to stay signed in
- having to enter a user name manually every time you post
- having to fill in a Confirmation code each time as well
- no avatar
- having that "also posted as" gobbledygook list, as Pugsy pointed out
- feeling like a second class citizen

Anyway, I've already learned quite a lot on this forum, so I look forward to the Administrator being able to resolve this issue.

TIA

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Maybe if you post a few more times the admin will concede to your cruel and unusual punishment.

I would encourage the admin to consider going back to a semi automated ID that will allow simple posting of 140 characters without allowing posting links or pix until 500 helpful posts AND 1 years time have elapsed. Any requests to expedite posting sooner should send up red flags.