Sleep Apnea, CPAP and Memory Loss

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi, I suggest you get a referral to a neurologist - he's the one to see why you're 'anosmic' (lost your sense of smell). There are various reasons for it happening, some of which at least will have nothing to do with apnea.

cpmjohn

Post by cpmjohn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Thanks, Julie, but I've not at all lost my sense of smell. It's just that my days of morning memory loss also include enhanced sense of smell and taste. I believe at all other times those senses are normal.

Moogy

Post by Moogy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:18 pm

oldgearhead wrote:
ResMed AutoPAP with Cflex
ResMed does not have C-Flex, ResMed has EPR.
BLUSH! I meant the Respironics AutoPAP with Cflex!

Moogy

Moogy
started bipap therapy 3/8/2006
pre-treatment AHI 102.5;
Now on my third auto bipap machine, pressures 16-20.5

cpmjohn

Post by cpmjohn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:35 pm

Thanks, Moogy. My search will begin as I just got back from Kaiser Dr. and he's issuing a prescription. I've got a number to call tomorrow for equipment info. I will ask about Respironics AutoPAP with Cflex.

However, he also turned me back over to the neurologist, and by the time I got home he had left a message that the neuro guy is setting me up for an EEG study...for seizures. I'll have to google that. But, I'm glad to be back in with NeuroDr...I think I need him.

Essentially, we're doing the CPAP for eliminating SA as my problem (I think). However, I'm still expecting good things from it no matter what my actual problem turns out to be...assuming it's ever determined. Thanks again, all.

linda b

Post by linda b » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:14 pm

Has anyone checked your oxygen levels when you sleep? My oxygen levels at night were going down into the 40s (anything under 89 is considered a problem.) Of course, I didn't know this was going on for a long time. I never experienced a memory loss problem quite like yours, but would frequently not be able to say the name of everyday objects, forget where I put things, or if I had done something I planned to do - that sort of thing. Thought it was just a sign of getting older. At the same time I was falling asleep a dozen times a day and 'sleeping' 10 hours a night or more with an afternoon 3 hour nap. Turns out I have COPD and moderate sleep apnea. I was started on 3L of oxygen 6 months before the APAP and it made all the difference in the world!!! The APAP has made my world even better.

Linda B.