Autopap loaner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rozenbob

Autopap loaner

Post by rozenbob » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 pm

Was loaned a Remstar Autopap (not M series).
Initially it was set at 6 to 10, every morning (and during the night) I would check the display that always showed 10.
After 4 nights, they changed the setting to 7 to 11.5, now everytime I checked the display it showed 11.5!!
Thinking this might mean I need an even higher setting I questioned the DME who checked with my ENT and was told the the proper setting for my Remstar Plus CPAP should be 9.5??
Why was the reading always showing the maximum setting if it did not mean I was maxing out? What information is provided without access to the software?

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:50 pm

Lot of missing informaiton.

Did you have a sleep study? What did it indicate as recommended pressures?

Have you talked to the ENT to find what they say about how they are determining the pressures to use?

Are you having other issues, like large mask leaks..
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

jacko

Post by jacko » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:34 am

I have a 420e auto and I dent really know where to set the bloody thing
When I did my sleep test I used my own machine the 420ae on auto
The doc didn't give me a fixed pressure ,the sleep doc didn't say much at all ,he wouldn't give me a test report .
The DME set the pressure at 4 to 14 , well 4 was not enough ,couldn't get enough air .
So I have been setting the thing myself is now at 10 -15 can I go far wrong at those settings
I would like to try it at fixed pressure but have no idea where to set it
At what pressure would I be in danger of central apneas
From what I can tell the sleep doctor here in Australia does things different to in the US ,at least the Doc I go to ,I think he is a DH really
Anyone got any ideas for me

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): 420E, DME, auto

rozenbob

Titration with Autopap

Post by rozenbob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 am

Should I be using the APAP mode or AFLE to find my present needed setting?

rozenbob

History

Post by rozenbob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:57 am

Yes, I has two full studies both showed a setting of 8.. But it has been three months and I have not yet slept for more than 4 consecutive hours. I have loaner Autopap in attempt to verify settings.
I have three masks Hybrid, Swift and Full face.
On the Autopap,, while in AFLE mode it ALWAYS displayed the MAX setting as the setting being used thru the night and at session end.
Last night I changed to to APAPmode with a range of 8 to 13 and it now displays the actual setting. Full face 9.5, Swift 11, Hybrid 10

rozenbob

mask leak issues

Post by rozenbob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:00 am

Full face side leaks while on back if chin relaxed down

Swift tape mouth. minimal leaks but Loud

Hybrid various minor leaks depending on ??

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:03 am

Hello agian Bob,

When you say you have not slept for more the 4 consecutive hours, is this your guide for what you are seeking. That may be a while before you get to that point.

Also you need to think if the interfaces wake you up, because you need to adjust them or are uncomfortable or making noise. (I did not realize what a difference this would make for me.)

For the titration study, were you on your back or side. What about at home.

Maybe you are getting a higher number because you are getting into a deeper sleep now and your body is relaxing more, which may need more pressure to keep your airways open.

This is why I love having the auto.

Where central apneas recorded on your sleep study?

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi rozenbob,

The difference between APAP and AFLE is only one thing - CFLEX (exhalation relief). In APAP, you get straight APAP with no exhalation relief, while in AFLE you get APAP mode WITH exhalation relief.

Good luck.

Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:26 pm

rozenbob wrote:Full face side leaks while on back if chin relaxed down
Bob,

Do you sleep on your back.....and do you HAVE to? That's the worst position for creating apneas. Is side-sleeping an option? Could explain why it's going to max pressure. Without the software or someone being able to read the card (full details), you're flying blind.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

rozenbob

That is what I thought

Post by rozenbob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:30 pm

Hello College Girl,

I thought both modes were the same with the exception of C-Pap on/off.

I do not know if my loaner unit might be defective /improperly programmed.

Using the same range of 8 to 13; while in APAP the display shows required pressure (i.e. 9.5 with Ultra Mirage FF) BUT in AFLE the display shows the max setting (in this case 13) using the same mask in the same conditions! (The actual pressure being supplied was same as display)
These readings were taken when awakening during the night and at end of session.

Also, this morning I temporarily tried my Swift in APAP and it settled on 11.5? While the FF was only 9.5. Tonight I will try the Hybrid in APAP and see what the pressure is that it settles at.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:40 pm

You need more balls to juggle. Going at it this way is a total waste of time, you have to do something and stick with it for 3 or more days, then you have to use the software to make a decision on how to make the changes.

Your readings are when you are awake, useless in APAP, and playing musical masks, only makes it worse. Jim

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): APAP

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:42 pm

Sounds like you are making too many changes, in too short of a time span.

You have to try a setting, a mask etc... for a period of time before you will have any kinds of idea how it is doing for you. After 3-4 days or so, you will have a better idea of what is happening.

Just making a change can be the problem.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

rozenbob

Reasons

Post by rozenbob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:49 pm

I see my ENT, looking for reasons to present to him to Justify a new RX for an Autopap..
Any suggestions appreciated

arthuranxious

Post by arthuranxious » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:40 pm

I don't think the Remstar auto tells you the actual pressure used without having a card reader and the Encore software. You can only see the programming by looking at the screen, and therefore you will only see sttings not actual usage unless you buy the software. Now, if you could convince your DME to let you use a REsMed you could look every morning and see efficacy data showing what pressure was used, how many apneas and hypopneas you had etc. Perhaps your DME will read the card for you and tell you what is going on, but much more likely they will only share the information with your non-responsive doctor. So, so many doctors don't read cards, don't have software, don't believe in it... say "Just use your CPAP like a good boy, its nobody's business what pressure is needed or whether the treatment is working, we'll see how you feel after 3 months, just don't forget the copay!"

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:20 am

My Respironics Auto tended to stay at full pressure when I used the Remstar full face mask. For some reason the full face would show very high snore index.

When I switched to the Swift nasal interface the pressure readings stopped maxing out and varied throughout the night. Also snore index dropped dramatically.