nose spray

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lmn

nose spray

Post by lmn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:05 pm

I have encountered several people that have mentioned saline gel
for your nose. I have had my autopap for about a month and have
a very sore nose. I have been using saline spray but it does not
help. Have been unable to find saline gel. Also does anyone have
an opinion on nasal pillows with an autopap. I have heard that nasal
pillows do not work with autopap.

Mikesus

Re: nose spray

Post by Mikesus » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:17 pm

lmn wrote:I have encountered several people that have mentioned saline gel
Ayr Gel

glassgal

nasal gel

Post by glassgal » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:36 pm

Hi lmn,

I got Ayr and a store brand at Walgreens -- it was back with the cold & cough stuff, near the saline sprays. There are other brands as well -- they should state on the label that they are for use IN the nose. The petroleum products (like Vasaline or Mentholatum) can damage the material of some masks, so be careful with those. I like the store brand gels just fine -- most drugstores should carry it, or you can order on line. I didn't find it on our friends at CPAP.COM, but they may be able to order it for you? Johnny?

I found that the gel really helped with the sore nose while getting used to my NasalAire II. I still use it twice daily and have no more problems in that area.

Sleep well,

Jane

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:25 am

I think the spray if for cleaning out your nasal passages, the gel is for soothing the soreness. I use the Ayr gel.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

sharonokc

dry nose

Post by sharonokc » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:13 pm

the gel sounds interesting. I use a nasal wash which helps clean out the sinus cavities. It is a hypertonic saline solution, which means it is saltier than the stuff in one's nasal passages. This is supposed to help pull out contaminents and alllergy causers. One can purchase or mix their own solution. I have done both. I usually mix my own though.
1 Tbsp salt, usually ice cream salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 quart warm water
some recipes call for corn syrup also but I never have used it.

Now comes the hard part, getting the saline solution through ones sinuses and nose. I use a product called Ent-Sol. This is a plastic curved bottle that sends the saline through using gravity. They also selll a device which attaches to a water pik irrigator. Another method is a small sinus wash device that looks like a small gravy boat. I am sure it has a proper name, but I have no idea what it is. One tilts the head back and pours the saline into the nose. There are other delivery methods out there also.

It took about a month of using the hypertonic saline wash to clear out my sinuses. A suggestion is to carry a handkerchief with you, tissue willl not do.
Some of the saline remains in the sinuses and comes out when your head moves into a different position during the first few weeks.

Once your sinuses are clear the nasal sprays can help hydrate your nose membranes. You might also check into steroid allergy nasal sprays (prescription). Or nasalchrome, which helps prevent allergens from adhering to you.

I have known several people to use vaseline or mentholatum , such as vicks, inside their nostrils with a mask. I don't know how these would affect nasal pillows. I have used a product called bag balm when my nose is very dry. And/or turned up my heated humidifier. I have wondered about something like KY jellly also.

If you find something else which works, please let us know.

Sleep well

WillSucceed

Netty pot

Post by WillSucceed » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:22 pm

Another method is a small sinus wash device that looks like a small gravy boat. I am sure it has a proper name, but I have no idea what it is.
The name that you are looking for is "netty pot".

meister

Neti like Seti

Post by meister » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:13 pm

Doesn't it come from India?

meister

Nasal Moisturizer Cann-Eze 1OZ

Post by meister » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:18 pm

This probably what you are dreaming about. Let us know how it works for
you.

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:38 pm

Much easier way than mixing your own is the Neilmed Sinus rinse kit. Even comes with a bottle that makes it easy to irrigate your sinuses

NeilMed Sinus Rinse

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:54 pm

hi Imn,

You asked:
Also does anyone have an opinion on nasal pillows with an autopap. I have heard that nasal pillows do not work with autopap.
A lot of people use nasal pillows masks with autopaps quite successfully - and comfortably. Possibly what you heard (or the person who told you that heard) was from back when Respironics introduced its "ComfortLite" nasal pillows interface. Respironics itself did not recommend using its own ComfortLite with its own REMstar autopaps. I know... sounds crazy, but that's what they said. Quite an odd statement for a company to make. Perhaps it was because they had not made whatever adjustments were needed in their auto's algorithms to be sure it could properly "read" the airflow from the smaller diameter hose the ComfortLite used (as do other nasal pillows interfaces too.) However, many people had already long been using the Breeze and the Nasal Aire with Respironics REMstar autos. Both of those also had small diameter connector hoses. Despite the company's non-recommendation for its own Comfortlite with its own autopap, people did use the two together and did not report any problem doing that - at least not in any messages I ever saw on several boards.

Looking at how many people on message boards speak of using the Breeze, the Swift, and the NA with their autos, I wouldn't hesitate to use them with any auto. In fact, I do. There might be a few people whose breathing could confuse an auto in some way when using the smaller diameter hose nasal pillows devices. However, the various combos of nasal pillows and autos all seem to work fine for most people.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:31 pm

I've used both the Breeze and the Swift with both the REMstar auto and the Puritan Bennett 420E auto and have noticed no difference from a nasal mask.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:37 pm

I don't post nose rinse formulas any more. LOL. Steve, Remember the one I posted and someone complained..

One persons nose rinse is anothers torture potion .

Cheers,

Chris.

meister

get in line to sue Chrisp

Post by meister » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 pm

1 – pint jar and mix distilled water with a "pinch" of Baking Soda and a "pinch" of non-iodized salt. Convert a "pinch" to about 1/8 teaspoon. I use a 'baby's ear syringe'. I warm the solution first and tip my head to the side and force it into the "lower" nostril until it comes out the upper nostril. Tip my head the other way and repeat. This one is from Carl.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:00 pm

Sounds similar to my formula. Someone got "burned " by it. Airhead made a comment (joke) . They took it the wrong way and the fur was flying.

You need a disclaimer.

THIS WORKS FOR ME. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE. BE CAREFULL IT DOESN'T HURT. JUST USE A SMALL AMOUNT AT FIRST. DON'T JUST BLAST IT IN YOUR NOSE.

DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO SALT. BAKING SODA, WATER OR BABY SYRINGE.

Ok everyone . You're are now free to try his potion

Cheers,

Chris

Re: nose spray

Post by Guest » Thu May 03, 2007 4:08 pm

lmn wrote:I have encountered several people that have mentioned saline gel

I have been working in the sleep medicine field for 20+ years, and hopefully I can be of some help. Autopap [Apap] units will work with any type interface. If you are using an intra-nasal interface [in the nose] you should be using a heated humidifier to sooth the mucus membranes and ease the possible drying effect. The Ayr nasal gel is also a good thing to try if you are c/o nasal discomfort. Again if you use an intra-nasal interface you must be very careful to not let the cushions move too much inside your nares, this is a sure trip to a sore nose. Be sure to stabilize the nasal piece so that the main air hose does not pull on the cushions, remember movement = soreness. So to recap, humidify & stabilize will go a long way in allowing a peaceful nights sleep. MJK