2 studies completely different results-need advice

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pivot

2 studies completely different results-need advice

Post by pivot » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:12 pm

Hi-ABout 2 months ago I had a split-night study which did not go well. I only slept about 101 minutes for the 1st part and only got into stage 2 for 2 mins. They said I had an AHI of 52.2 all HYPOPNEAS. Put CPAP on me only got to 6 cm still had 15 HYPOPNEAS-Stage 1 47.5, Stage 2 20.0, Stage 3-0 (?) and Stage 4-35.5 NO REM. LOWEST OXYGEN 92. Now the 2nd test- I went to see a new sleep dr. because I felt the results/test did not go well. I had lost about 20 pounds that was the only difference-this was a 2 night study. SO .... 2nd test-Stage 1 32.7, Stage 2 55.7, Stage 3 & 4 4.2 REM 7.2%. OK they said I only had an AHI of 7.0???? How can 2 tests have such extreme differences?? Any ideas?? They said I stayed in the 90% range for the majority of the test. BUT, I had sinus bradycardia and sinus arrythmia-what is that?? I will meet with my Dr. next week to discuss but I wanted opinions from you guys. Thanks fo reading this long e-mail.

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:02 am

I had to go to 4 different labs before the correct diagnosis was made. Of course this was about 5 years ago. At least around here, the labs were just getting set up and most didn't have a clue how to do a proper sleep study.

I persisted and finally one got it right and found I had moderate apnea. This has seen been re-confirmed by another lab as well.

Then again, a lot of things could have affected two perfectly good studies. Your weight loss, how you felt that night, etc., etc.,

My only suggestion would be to have another study done. The more data you get the more accurate your final diagnosis will be.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:13 am

Arrythmia = abnormal heart rate
Bradycardia = low resting heart rate.

There are some studies that link OSA to some types of arrythmias. In my case the night time OSA would trigger A-Fib attacks, often causing trips to the hospital, followed by electric shock to stop the A-Fib. However, A-Fib is not Bradycadia (opposite symptoms).

Your cardiologist will probably consider all factors (blood pressure, weight, sex, age, fitness, O2, and etc), and decide if treatment is in order. In the mean time I would stay away from blood pressure lowering drugs, like those used to control the bladder, and those used to treat ED.

Of course if you are a marathon runner or avid cyclist, low heart rate is normal.

People have more fun than anybody..

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:58 am

You have the machine, now it's time to get the software and reader, so you can figure out what's going on. I would trust myself before I would trust the doctors. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

pivot

Post by pivot » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:50 am

Goofproof wrote:You have the machine, now it's time to get the software and reader, so you can figure out what's going on. I would trust myself before I would trust the doctors. Jim
1. The problem w/using the Cpap w/software is that I have not been able to fall asleep w/cpap on me.

2. I forgot to mention I am now taking Prilosec, nasonex and breath rite strips since last study.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:53 pm

pivot wrote:
Goofproof wrote:You have the machine, now it's time to get the software and reader, so you can figure out what's going on. I would trust myself before I would trust the doctors. Jim
1. The problem w/using the Cpap w/software is that I have not been able to fall asleep w/cpap on me.

2. I forgot to mention I am now taking Prilosec, nasonex and breath rite strips since last study.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire