Please Share Misc Helpful Hints

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
birdshell

Post by birdshell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 pm

I have added a similar strap to my Liberty--an actual pantyhose leg strap. It is small enough to go across the Liberty's nasal pillows and keeps them tight to my nares.

I start the middle of the pantyhose-leg-strap just below the double-seal on the pillows, rout it under my ears and tie it with the flat knot behind my neck. It works like a charm.

Karen

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:39 am

The "flat knot" Birdshell is talking about:

How to tie a flat knot behind head when using the leg cut off a pair of tights as a homemade strap rested gal
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublestartknot.htm

Stays flat, stays secure yet is easy to untie in the morning, easy to adjust tighter or looser during the night.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:25 pm

I too have traveled with my CPAP: purchase a plug splitter. This way you can share an outlet that is full next to the bed. Most motels/hotels do not leave an outlet empty by the bed and you have to unplug something (lamp, clock, etc...). The splitter will fit easily in your carry case.
For hanging your mask and hose when not in use (at home or abroad) use an over the door towel hook and hook it over your headboard. You can hang your mask or hose from it and it keeps it from hitting the floor.
There are many options and you can easily find one that will not hurt the finish of the furniture. also when traveling with your CPAP. this is a great place to store your medications. Because you are using it as a medical device carry-on, toss in your meds and know they are safe.

echo

Post by echo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:04 pm

here's a cleaning tip i just recently learned (thanks snoredog + others):

use 8-10% diluted bleach to disinfect your HH and hose and other parts, to avoid mold growth. Clean it before it starts to smell bad!

Second tip: rinse your sinuses often. Even if you never had sinus problems before, you may get them now! Use for example a neti pot + salt + dash baking soda.

Third tip: cut the half top off a water bottle, insert drinking nozzle into your hose, and use the low-heat setting on your hairdryer to dry your hose (if like me, your CPAP can't be programmed to spew out high pressure when you're not connected to it). Alternately, use the CPAP itself to dry the hose.

fourth tip: for hose management, hang a rope from your ceiling. (I couldnt be bothered to make a hose holder that went under the bed or over the headboard). make sure you make the noose small enough for only your hose note: does not travel well ha ha

i love this thread, thanks for resurrecting it jsmythe - and good tip for the hose cover, i'll have to try that one out.

PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

freddyb45

Post by freddyb45 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:13 am

Try using a memory foam mattress (sorry if it's already been posted!). They really help with your sleeping position and breathing patterns - I've been getting about 7 hours a night since buying mine!
I love my new memory foam mattress as it has really helped my sleeping patterns!

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:44 pm

Ditto that, but I put a 3" memory foam topper on my mattress. I wanted to see if it was too hot for me, as my memory foam pillow seems to make me sweat.

It has greatly increased the comfort of my mattress, but I cannot say that it has shortened or lengthened my hours of sleep. I'll settle for increased comfort.

Karen

Click => Free Mammograms

echo

Post by echo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:54 pm

forgot to add:
for removing tape in the morning, apply some cold cream or hand/face lotion on the tape and let it soak for a few minutes (some brands are better than others). It comes off much easier and removes the extra goo too!
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:10 pm

OK, echo, but if you smear some milk of magnesia on the skin and let it dry, and THEN apply the tape, well--the tape will come off without irritation and still holds well. (At least, it does so for me and many others.)

Karen

Click => Free Mammograms

echo

Post by echo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:20 pm

hmnmmm never heard that one before. learn sumthin new every day thanks birdshell.
next question: what's "milk of magnesia" in Dutch?!?
PR System One APAP, 10cm

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey Echo....
Try -- melk van magnesia

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 am

here's my helpful tip:

http://www.snotr.com/video/1166
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

roncron

Post by roncron » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:09 pm

birdshell wrote:Ditto that, but I put a 3" memory foam topper on my mattress. I wanted to see if it was too hot for me, as my memory foam pillow seems to make me sweat.
There are memory foam mattresses with a heat-dissipating top layer. I have one and they are very effective - exact same comfort as regular memory foam but without the heat issues so many folks have. (I haven't seen a topper made out of the heat-dissipating memory foam - be great if they were available.)

A few responses above, someone suggested putting the end of the hose into a ziplock to ease getting the SnuggleHose cover on. Saran-type wrap works just as well, maybe better. Use some to cover both ends, as the other end of the hose often touches the floor while you're trying to get the SnuggleHose on.

The SnuggleHose is a really great accessory (for those of us too lazy to make a custom cover from fabric).

Thanks to all who have posted tips here. I've read all of them and use many of them, and I'm grateful!

echo

Post by echo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:39 pm

goose wrote:Hey Echo....
Try -- melk van magnesia
cheeky bird, i bet you just cheated and used Google translator Well I'm gonna stop now before this very nice thread is hijacked
PR System One APAP, 10cm

atruvirgo

To keep the machine from sliding on table

Post by atruvirgo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:09 am

To keep the machine from slidding on the table and to protect my night stand I use a piece of the foam type drawer liner direcly on the night stand then I cover it with a piece of fabric that happens to match my curtains, then I cut a smaller piece of the foam liner to put right under my machine and now nothing slides around even if I tug on it. No more chance of my machine being pulled off the night stand or slidding around. It also protects my furniture from any heat the machine gives off.
Debbie/Atruvirgo/Armynavyx3
Proud Mom of 1 Navy & 2 Army Kids
Nana to 5 lil darlings!

Life is Grand!!

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Good tip, atruvirgo! Image

Your tip reminded me of the days when I had cats, back in the beginning. Said cats chewed through everything--AND we tried everything to prevent that. I had to protect my preciously new cpap equipment somehow.

I figured out that a plastic bin turned upside down made a fairly good platform for the machine. It then did not sit on the carpet. (My training for cpap use was to keep the machine on the floor--LOW--to reduce rainout.) In the morning I turned over the bin, and put the machine, cord, hose, mask, and all into the bin. I then secured its top onto the bin. At night I reversed the process.

This was such a great idea, that after leaving my cord behind (thankfully for a one night trip), I decided to do the same as nearly as I could for travel. Those ResMed bags are heavy duty cordura, and the humidifier pack does cushion that somewhat, but I felt that my machine was still vulnerable.

I had an oval bow case by Sterilite with a hinged top. Click Here to See Box I now insert the machine, connected to ALL other things, into the plastic case. I then pack up the machine parts as I disconnect them, and close the top, engaging the flip-down latch.

Not trusting the latch, I also wrap a length of Velcro cord bundling wrap around the middle of the case and under its handle. Cord bundling wrap is 2 sided, and sticks to itself. It makes me certain that the latch will not open, spilling my machine (and lace ruffled legging strap) onto the ground.

Thanks for the memory jog, atruvirgo. I've been looking for a use for some of that liner that is left over. Although you didn't mention it, I'll bet it helps to cut vibration and noise transmission, too. Image

Karen,

Who loves to play with plastic bins...

Click => Free Mammograms