Please Share Misc Helpful Hints

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jere

Post by Jere » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:04 pm

In the morning I unplug my heated hose, clean my mask and hang the hose (and the mask) over a coat hook on the inside of a closet door. Keeps the cats and everyone else away during the day.[/b]

"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

Snoozing Gonzo

Post by Snoozing Gonzo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:19 pm

Dang! It happened again! The hint... your smartcard won't record new data if it's still in the reader. It almost always happens when I'm trying something new.

When in a motel put a towel, or better yet a piece of cardboard and a towel, under your xpap. The industrial strength cleaners, stain guards, and I don't want to think about what else in the carpet aren't good for you and taste bad for a long time if they get into your machine. Wash the filter every morning on a trip.

With the possible exception of this post, this thread is a great collection of advice and experience. I'm sure it will be one that I will access in the future.

Thank you

Chris

Last edited by Snoozing Gonzo on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Breathe deep. Seek peace."
(James Gurney, Dinotopia)

gulfpearl

Post by gulfpearl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:01 am

I think this thread should go into the Collective Wisdom portion would be great for beginners .

ozij

Adding the topic to "our collective wisdom"

Post by ozij » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:34 pm

Geat idea, gulfpearl- I've just done it, and it will be reviewed....

And thanks, Moogy, for initiating this wonderful topic.
O.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:15 pm

Ellen, thank you for your warning about frying my kittie's mouths, if not worse. Not to worry, they are as safe as we can make them--no guarantees, though. Once I found a rubber band where they are supposed to be safe--I have NO idea how it got there and could have caused some HUGE problems had they swallowed it.

They are pretty committed to their mission in life, though! I mean, biting a cord treated with bitter apple is extreme committment. That is some NASTY tasting stuff, as I once accidentally tasted some from my finger that hadn't been sufficiently washed off.
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Snorinator

Post by Snorinator » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:01 pm

Use self sealing automotive hose tape on your CPAP hose to prevent failure of or repair the hose at the rubber connector. It is used to repair radiator or heater hoses on cars and seal electrical connections. This is not electrical or duct tape. You start by wrapping several layers to build up to the thickness of the rubber connector and then wrap the tape so that it spirals down in thickness to proved strain relief to the hose. The strain relief reduces stiffness so that the hose gradually transitions from very stiff connection to the rubber connector to just hose stiffness about 3 inches from the rubber connector. The same material can repair a tare in the hose as it is self curing and makes a good seal to the plastic that is very durable.

Big MIke

Hints

Post by Big MIke » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:38 am

A drinking straw in a glass of water. Easy to get a drink without removing the mask.

greg119

facial hair

Post by greg119 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 pm

DreamStalker wrote:The best hint I can give is to visit and participate on this forum

- r
getting my cpap this weekend. I also have facial hair. Is that a problem? Which mask works best with facial hair? Thanks you.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:43 am

I do a daily clean before my shower and use the CPAP itself to dry the mask, humidifier tank and hose for 20-30 minutes while I'm getting ready. just hook everyhting up and let 'er rip! Then I disconnect everything and let it hang to finish air drying, especially things like the hose connections that won't dry while connected. Nothing dries the hose better.

j.a.taylor

Post by j.a.taylor » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Wow!

What a bunch of great ideas! A great idea for a post.

I'm going to start implementing some of these, some I've already discovered the hard way, and some I could have used earlier.

Thanks for the collective wisdom everyone!
John A. Taylor

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 am

This is such an interesting thread that I have moved it back into the saddle.

Ted the Titrator

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:39 am

Here is one that works for me and mask leaks. I use plumbers Teflon tape when any swivel or mask part starts to leak. This is especially effective with my Swift II. My face is pretty wide so I end up spreading the headgear out and both ends of the mask frame leaks. I wrapped both the cap and the short hose ends with the thread tape and no more leaks. This worked for me with the Resmed Quattro, and the Respironics ComfortCurve elbow pieces.

Teflon tape is cheap and very easy to find in any hardware or plumbing section.

Ted

Windfall

Travel Tips

Post by Windfall » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:24 pm

I frequently travel by air for my job. I use a wheeled carry-on that loads from the top for my CPAP equipment and laptop. It's easier to quickly get stuff out then back in. The carry-on has a laminated "medical equipment" tag (similar to the one available at cpap.com) which includes my doctors name/phone numbers and mine. The CPAP is labeled on the bottom with my name/address/phone.

My carry-on always contains:
. 6 or so one-gallon size zip lock bags in the bag. I put the CPAP in one so it's protected when it goes into the TSA bins during inspection, and toss it afterwards. Use another bag under the CPAP/humidifier at the hotel. Use the hotel's phone books to get the CPAP off the floor if the nightstand or a chair aren't at the right height. During the day CPAP goes back into a bag and everything goes into a drawer.
. A small GFCI power strip which has a 6' cord.
. A removable 3M hook, a hair scrunchy, and small clip to corral the hose.
. Velcro strips for electrical cords and hose management.
. Teflon tape just in case.
. Thanks to Rested Gal, pantyhose legs which really are handy.

I also send positive feedback to the TSA at TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov when screeners change their gloves without me asking them to.

Yoga

Travel Tips

Post by Yoga » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Windfall,

What is the brand of your luggage carrier and where did you purchase it?

I have been looking for a carrier like that.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:18 pm

1. Don't get too hung up about distilled water if you have R/O water at home. It works just as well.

2. You can use tap water in your humidifier but will have to live with the minerals and the chlorine smell.

3. Don't stress too much about taking distilled water when you travel. Bottled water or tap water for a night or two will be just fine. I know some people who'll make a midnight run to WalMart just for distilled water when they travel....

Try the Scented CPAP Mask with Pur-Sleep's CPAP Aromatherapy--CPAP Diffuser and Essential Oils.
"Love it, Love it, Love my PurSleep!"