Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
slickwil

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Postby slickwil on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Just checking in, its been a while since i was on here. It has been 2 1/2 years and doing great on my machine still. I cant sleep without it. I cant even take a nap without it which I rarley do anymore.

itsjustme

Postby itsjustme on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:53 pm

The first few nights I kept wondering what I had gotten myself into. I did exactly what another poster suggested, I would wear my mask for awhile in the evening while watching TV, except with my machine turned on. (It counts as compliance time to keep the insurance co. happy). At first as soon as I hit the 4 hours the mask would come off and I would try to sleep. But I kept at it and started keeping the mask on longer and longer. Now at almost 60 days in I barely even notice it anymore and am no longer wanting to rip it off and toss it in the trash. I no longer dread going to bed and having to put it on. The therapy is doing its job and my numbers are great, I'm still not getting enough sleep but the sleep I do get is better quality. No more waking up feeling like I'm suffocating, no more morning headaches and sore throat. And no more snoring loud enough to shake the foundation of the house! There are good nights and bad nights but it is getting better. The best advice I can offer other newbs is to communicate with your Dr and DME, don't be afraid to be a pain in their rear if you need to. I have been fortunate to have a good Dr. and a great DME which helps tremendously.

tlohse

Postby tlohse on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:41 pm

I haven't been to this site in quite some while but ive been on my cpap every night since the day I started in June 2013.

Thomas Lohse
Cpap is 4 ever.

Sleepysuz

Postby Sleepysuz on Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Have had my APAP 14 months now. I suspect I needed it since I was a teen 45 years ago. Have always snored and woken suddenly with heart racing and having to get up to pee even if I didn't drink much. Was thin woman, but have a small mouth and overbite. Both set you up for apnea. Have been sleepy in movies and waiting rooms all my life. What a waste! Cpap Changed my life. A friend had to get a pacemaker when apnea messed up their heart. Glad mine was caught in time

One advice. Don't give up. I had to try almost every mask and pillow to find what worked for me. It took a couple of months. My DME had a box of sample masks to try to fit. I ordered ones you could return from our host. There is a mask for you. Your health is worth the work to find it

Pinky

Postby Pinky on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Newbie. Some encouragement and a tad of advice. I have had my full face mask for about 5 weeks now but needed it years a go. For my first two weeks, I got almost zero rest (almost like my apnea caused) but, determined to make it work, my husband was online and found the full face and nasal cotton liners from RemZzzs. I have been using them every night and have got such great rest that I stay alert and have energy now!! I very seldom have a leak anymore. I would highly recommend them to anyone who is having the frequent leak problem.

turtle

Postby turtle on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:01 am

I'm a newbie with a success story already. I completed two sleep studies in June and July 2015. Dx with severe apnea and now wear a bipap every night. I tried 2 other masks -- nasal, partial face and now full face. For me, full face turned out to be the best. I had trouble with the chin strap I needed to wear to keep my mouth closed. The full face (which is just really the nose and mouth) does not require me to wear the chin strap. I sleep deeply and am not ravenous throughout the day. Bipap has stabilized my metabolism, and I've lost 13 lbs without hardly trying. I am refreshed in the morning and require only 6 hours of deep bipap sleep. I work with a nurse practitioner. I will remain dedicated to this process because of the quality of life and reduction of risk factors.

sparkgaps

Postby sparkgaps on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Newest of all "newbies" here.

I finally bit the bullet and had a sleep study done. Dr. immediately put me on CPAP. And I finally got it today. (ResMed 10 Autoset/Pillow)

While trying to learn more about the ResMed and looking for other user experiences, I ran across this forum/post.

While reading everyone's stories, I didn't know if I wanted to laugh, cry, or puke. I have been searching for the cause of my demons for the last 8 years... And I have read every one of my symptoms in this post!

Many years ago, I was at work... I felt like I blacked out for a second and my heart rate was through the roof. I went to an urgent care and my BP was at 200/110... After about 10 minutes it rested back to a normal place. Dr.'s wanted to put me on BP meds but I never took them because it was an isolated incident. After this ordeal, I've felt cloudy ever since...

Between EKG, MRI, Sinus Surgery, BP Meds, Allergy treatment, ENT evals, mucho weight loss, caffeine/nicotine free... I am still spiraling down... Lack of energy, cloudy, reflexes gone, memory shot... Nothing seems to be working...

About 6 months ago I was traveling overseas. I woke up at midnight with my heart about ready to jump out of my chest. Luckily, I was traveling with an MD, and 4hrs later I was back to normal... But concluded that I need to change my life and health...

So I came home and lost 50 lbs and really changed my diet. Not feeling any better, but work must go on... I traveled overseas again... In a taxi ride on the way to the office and I felt like I was going to pass out... By time I made it to the office, my heart rate was going crazy and I was shaky/weak. Rushed to the hospital and EKG/blood work was normal...

When I got back from that trip, I went to see a Neurologist. And of course he put me on a CPAP... Which is where I am starting my journey today...

While this is not a success story... YET... I found a glimmer of hope and excitement from reading other peoples stories... I've read so many stories that sound just like mine!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your stories!!!!! And I will definitely share mine in time!

NightAir

Postby NightAir on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:27 pm

turtle wrote:I'm a newbie with a success story already. I completed two sleep studies in June and July 2015. Dx with severe apnea and now wear a bipap every night. I tried 2 other masks -- nasal, partial face and now full face. For me, full face turned out to be the best. I had trouble with the chin strap I needed to wear to keep my mouth closed. The full face (which is just really the nose and mouth) does not require me to wear the chin strap. I sleep deeply and am not ravenous throughout the day. Bipap has stabilized my metabolism, and I've lost 13 lbs without hardly trying. I am refreshed in the morning and require only 6 hours of deep bipap sleep. I work with a nurse practitioner. I will remain dedicated to this process because of the quality of life and reduction of risk factors.

Find the right BiPap or BiLevel and right mask! Then watch your life change! Stick with it! Do not give up!

bro5mo

Postby bro5mo on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:21 am

First post for me...

I wore my full mask with air/gel seal last night for the first time. Once I fell asleep I was surprised to only wake up twice. I slept in four hour blocks and needed a break from the mask. I have suspected apnea for years because I sleep with a nurse (my wife). She said She also had the best nights sleep in a while.

I am a pilot so when not at work I would sleep in till 1000 then wake up tired and ready to sleep again. This morning I was up around 0730 ready to go. I worked out and still have most of my day left!! I feel great. In my sleep study I was having events every minute and they woke me up at 2400 to put a mask on me. I feel this is the best nights sleep I have had since I was in my 20's.

I have a lot to learn. I travel six months out of the year, so I need to get into a routine for this stuff.

Hang in there and keep on using the mask. You'll get there!

Rick

bpathakis

Postby bpathakis on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi,

I'm relatively new to cpap therapy. I've been using my cpap for just under a month, but I already have some positive results.

First, I'm getting more sleep, and better quality sleep. For me, that means about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, which is much better than I was getting before (2-4 hours).

Second, my wife and co-workers commented that I'm much more cheerful and less grumpy than before.

It has taken some adjustment using a cpap, but for me it's been worth it.

tr women

Postby tr women on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:50 am

I have had my CPAP machine for 3 years now. I use it every night. Before I never felt rested. I would fall asleep anywhere Is sat down at. believe me it was enbarresing to say the least. I would fall asleep during at a meeting and everyone would watch me. Even my boss. Now I feel well rested and I stay awake !!!!! I would'nt do without it.

zaria37

Postby zaria37 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with acute osa, and have had a cpap machine since 2008. I have to say I consider it a lifesaver. While it took a while to feel more energy, I started sleeping through the night immediately. When before it looked like someone had attacked me during the hight, now I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. I haven't been able to sleep well without it, evevthough the mask took some getting used to. The newer, nose only models with the thinner straps are much more comfortable. I haven't seen much of a weight loss, but the rest of the benefits are worth it.

Cindiwa

Postby Cindiwa on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:27 pm

I have had my CPAP for about 4 years and I love it so much (Its a system one 460 now that I got used to have a heated hose, I get rain out from keeping my bedroom so cold)! When I did my sleep study and was hooked up to those electrodes, I kept apologizing in advance to the Drs that I would have to wake up and pee every half hour or more and those electrodes would be coming off and on all night. They woke me up at the 2 hour mark and stuck a mask on me. It was awful at first, felt like I was not getting enough air but after I relaxed, I slept for 5 straight hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! No getting up to pee. I felt rested, for the first time in who knows how long? I have snored my whole life, I have a small mouth and small sinuses and have had friends make me sleep in the hotel bathrooms on trips. My husband kept telling me that I was choking in the night and I asked him how much and he told me every few minutes! My Dr sent my butt right to the sleep study and and my whatever that number that counts how often you quit breathing was 117 (I think?). They told me I was one of the worst they'd seen in awhile.

If I fall asleep without the mask (like for a nap in the afternoon) my throat and head hurts so much from snoring. I have lost a little weight but still have sleep apnea. I think I have to stay friends with my machine for the rest of my life but I don't feel right without it. I love the masks I have had since the beginning (Mirage FX for her) and I can sleep on my side with them. I am a light sleeper so haven't had problems with pulling the mask off or anything. I read these forums (I don't post much) but saw some ideas on ways to hook my hose to go up through a hook in the ceiling and that is what I do. Its comfortable and I was able to get rid of the big ole hose stand thing. I get checked yearly to keep my prescription updated and my number thing is 2.5 a night(I think its how much I slip in an apnea) I'm not very technical, but I have had much success with my machine and tell anybody who asks. So far 2 people I know got CPAP and won't use it and I actually feel bad for them because of how much it changed my life once I was able to sleep at night and not feel like I need to sleep all day.

Night Ranger

Postby Night Ranger on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:11 pm

18 years this May. Took a while but my apnea and subsequent fatigue made qujring impossible. Last sleep study in 2010 -- had to do it for medicare. The lab was kind enough to let me lay in the bed for 2-3 hours gasping, choking and suffocating to make sure I qualified. I'd been 100% compliant since 1997 but no matter. Put on my mask and had the titration. Next day was bad. Doing fine -- living in the present -- bought my own auto cpap -- insurance wouldn't pay -- need to get it set up and off I go.

oncomingspork

Postby oncomingspork on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:56 pm

It's been a week and I feel pretty good. My only quibble is the pillows are a tiny bit large, but the next smaller size goes whistly with leaks. So I put lotion on my nose before bed, and that seems to help.

AHI went from 18 down to like...2ish. I'll take it! I went 5 days without a nap! And I only took one today because I think I'm coming down with something. (Wore the mask during the nap, too.)

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)