Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Big_B

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Postby Big_B on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:06 am

I had my sleep study in April of 2006. I only went for it because a friend told me he felt as giddy as a newborn kid immediately upon his first experience. Well.......... I did not experience the same miraculous results.

My problem was the masks. I always pulled them off during the night without knowing it. I didn't know if it happened immediately after going to sleep, or just before waking up. I felt like there was an Alien on my face! Finally, I got the Breeze mask. Nothing touched my face except for where the pillows went in to my nostrils and a small pad on my forehead. That was a huge step forward, and I felt pretty successful for about 5 years. The way the back pad of the mask was between my head and my pillow was a little bothersome, so I started looking for an alternative.

I am now using the Swift mask. It still utilizes Nasal Pillows, which are my preference, but it's held on with small slings hooked over my ears. Nothing behind my head. Yes... my ears feel a little sore sometimes, but as compared to the straps wrapped all around my head or a huge pad on the back of my head, it's wonderful.

Thankfully, I did immediately stop snoring, regardless of the mask (as long as I kept it on). And I also felt much better during the day. Much less tiredness. But certainly not giddy like a newborn kid, as my friend experienced.

Now, I don't know what I would do without my CPAP. The reason I am on here now is that I needed help finding a replacement power adapter for a discontinued CPAP. When I can't use my CPAP now, I always have nightmares of drowning, and wake multiple times throughout the night. I have one of those anti-snore mouthpieces as an emergency back up. I can get some sleep with it, but very fitful! I am not looking forward to the next few nights as I wait for the adapter to come in.

Stick with it.

Tracy1968

Postby Tracy1968 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm another newbie (actually, I'm still waiting for the DME/Insurance/Doc to fork over my CPAP).

Since I'm still in the feeling hungover/zombie/fighting to get through each day phase, I cannot tell you how valuable posts here are to someone like me. It gives me hope.

I'm not expecting an overnight miracle and I know there will be bumps in the road, but anything is better than the nightmare of not being able to function almost every day.

I hope one day I can post in here as a success story.

Thanks again

drone1066

Postby drone1066 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm still fairly new to this world, but I'm about out of the woods regarding this therapy, so I consider myself something of a qualified success (thanks, Pugsy!).

All I can say is what mattered to me most was a) right gear, b) right settings, c) motivation high, and d) patience.

Much of this is a head struggle--the right psychological relationship with your gear can mean a lot. I think if people look at it as a burden, it's probably going to tempt them to quit at a much higher rate. When I look at that full mask, I see a friend above all things. It helps that I sleep alone, I'm sure, and that I don't have to deal with the silly stress of a work schedule that many of you do. Yet, I also started early on to find something I *liked* about the mask--something that actually relaxed me. For me, the cool blowing air of the first hour or so from the cooler humidity (before the heater kicks in) reminds me of sticking my head out of the open window of a moving car. I feel like a dog! :) I find that sensation really relaxing. The point is to try and find one feature of the process that is a relaxing or positive experience--you only need one. And stick with that like glue.

This gear is your friend. It's trying to help you/save you.

Edit: There's something else I wanted to add for people that are pretty imaginative or active dreamers. It might help to play a little mind game with your mask, especially if you're using full gear. One thing I do if I'm having a tough night with nose itches and twitches, I'll pretend I'm wearing a diving mask and playing around underwater, or being a jet pilot with the O2 mask on, or something like that to use as a distraction. Some people are really good at that kind of thing, and if you are, it's just an idea that might help if you're not relaxing right.

NMchop

Postby NMchop on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:36 pm

I was a little leary when they put the full mask on me. I felt like I had a leaf blower on my face.

Now that I've started therapy at home with the CPap machine, I'm still tweaking things, but I feel so much better.

My friends have said they have noticed a difference. I've noticed a difference. A big difference.

I still have a few issues to work out (I wake up with ice face, feel like I iced my nose and chin all night). Maybe a heated hose
is in my future, but overall, even my "bad" nights are so much better then what I thought a good night of sleep was and I
no longer need to pull over twice on a 3 hour drive to take a nap. And I don't get as edgy on the little things that can aggravate
a person. A lot less dwelling, a lot less "grumpiness" and bad moods. A more optimistic outlook.

I hope this keeps up.

Good luck to everyone in the journey to healthy restorative sleep. I've found CPap to be a blessing.

Lemonbud

Postby Lemonbud on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:19 am

I got my sleep study done and diagnosed with sleep apnea. My insurance is Humana and unfortunately medical devices are in my plan are not covered until the deductible is met which is $1500. The doctor forwarded my info to Apria which they are ordering me a machine they say with a $400 down payment and $70 monthly payments for 13 months. That's a little steep for me so I was looking into other cheaper machines or perhaps a gently used one. I just don't know where to start. What are the things to look out for and what are differences? I know I'm not providing examples to compare but I just don't know anything about the machines. Some are as low as $200 to over $1000. Any advised or suggestions I would really appreciate.

Pugsy

Postby Pugsy on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 am

Lemonbud wrote:I got my sleep study done and diagnosed with sleep apnea. My insurance is Humana and unfortunately medical devices are in my plan are not covered until the deductible is met which is $1500. The doctor forwarded my info to Apria which they are ordering me a machine they say with a $400 down payment and $70 monthly payments for 13 months. That's a little steep for me so I was looking into other cheaper machines or perhaps a gently used one. I just don't know where to start. What are the things to look out for and what are differences? I know I'm not providing examples to compare but I just don't know anything about the machines. Some are as low as $200 to over $1000. Any advised or suggestions I would really appreciate.

Check your private message box (upper left side by the user control panel) as I sent you a private message

Target either ResMed or Respironics brands.
Then target only Respironics models 460 and above in model numbers...560 would be better and that is the PR System One 60 series Auto CPAP

For ResMed machines...target only these models.

In the S9 Series.....the Elite or the AutoSet
or in the Airsense 10 series (that's the newest)...target the Elite, AutoSet or AutoSet for Her (the for Her model would be your best choice as it is like 3 machines in one...even if you are a guy).

You posted your thoughts in a more or less "read only" section of the forum so you won't get as many responses here. It would be better if you started a new topic/thread of your own on the main forum section.

Additional Comments: Backups..AirCurve 10 ST, S9 Adapt, PR S1 Bipap #760

dcell59

Postby dcell59 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:31 am

I had my sleep study in late 2012 and have been using a ResMed S9 AutoSet and the Swift FX mask ever since. It only took me a week to get acclimated and ever since then I have been sleeping great! I sleep about 6 hours a night and I almost never wake up during the night. When I wake up, I am ready to start the day, so I have a lot more time to do things.

I have taken my CPAP on vacations and even on multi-day river trips and have never really had a problem with it.

BlueTalon

Postby BlueTalon on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:41 pm

I had my first sleep study around 2004. When the guy came to my house to bring the machine and show me how to use it, he gave me a couple invaluable pieces of advice. Commit to using it no matter what, and keep using it even if I got a cold or something. I was an active duty Marine at the time, so committing to something was kind of second nature.

The first night, I didn't sleep much, and just felt like I had a weird thing on my head. Second night, same thing. Third night... in the morning, I woke up, and I'd had a dream. It was the first dream I remembered having in about a decade! That was my Eureka moment. From that point on, I never had any issue at all with wearing a mask (nasal pillows), and I have been sleeping soundly pretty much ever since.*

* I had sinus surgery in 2007. Obviously, I couldn't use nasal pillows with sponges stuck up my nostrils, so I tried to sleep without the unit. Unsuccessfully. After three nights with no sleep, I was starting to go bugnuts. On the fourth night, I stuck my nasal pillows in my mouth, and that got me a few hours of sleep. It didn't occur to me until years later that I could have gotten a whole facemask to accommodate my unusable sinuses.

Ripplingh2o

Postby Ripplingh2o on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Well, I must say I'm a recent convert to the CPAP "scene". After participating in an unexpected heart attack 6 months ago, my cardiologist wanted me to undergo a sleep study. Much to my chagrin, the results identified that I had severe sleep apnea, and a CPAP was in my immediate future. After a brief period of defiance, I brought a Resmed10 home and a new chapter in my rehabilitation began. Now, after 2 1/2 months of CPAP "therapy" I am pleased to report that I have grown accustom to its use and concur that my health is significantly improving. I have now adjusted my life style to include nightly use of my Resmed10. I've been absorbing information from this forum like a sponge, and thank everyone for their questions, advice, wisdom, and touted experience(s). Every day continues to be a good day, with some just better than others.

MiLady56

Postby MiLady56 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:23 pm

I entered the world of CPAP on my own. One day I tried my Hubby's CPAP on and took a nap. I mean, he had tried to get me to use it before and I resisted after just a few seconds with it blowing air in my face and then strapped on.
But this time, I was alone. No expectations. Just me "playing", trying it out. AND I ENJOYED IT! I fell asleep and woke up from a nap, feeling so relaxed just breathing with the CPAP.
SO I got my own sleep study done, got the Rx for machine and use it all the time!!! I love my CPAP!
What I dont love is the ever changing requiremts of treatment. Thats why I am here at this site.

Ilikecpap

Postby Ilikecpap on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Idk how long I've been on CPAP, could be 2 years, could be 5; my brain doesn't register time well, even within a week, but I slept fine all night my first night and ever since. It was about a year before I started to feel more alert. I like mine because I don't have a lot of lung power and it works like a supercharger for me. Gives me boost. 13 cm pressure helps get more air into me.

Bill44133

Postby Bill44133 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:24 pm

2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Today, April 30 is my 2 year anniversary of being on cpap therapy. When I had my sleep study I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with AHI of 140. Oxygen level dropped to 58%. I was in bad shape and thought I was dying.

I was looking back at my first night with cpap in SleepyHead and Encore, I slept a total of 10 hours and 35 minutes. My AHI was 20.57 and spent 3 hours and 4 minutes in large leak. I had 217 snore events, 61 obstructive apnea events. Just terrible therapy, but believe it or not I felt better.

I fumbled around like this until July when I went back to see the neurologist. Before I went to see the neurologist I had to have my local DME email the Encore Reports off the cpap machine. The DME told me I was doing very well with my therapy and that I was using the machine every night. So, I proudly brought with me the Encore reports to give to the doctor. I will never forget the Doctor’s face when she was reviewing the May report and her face turning beat red. It showed average AHI of 17.5 and I was sleeping average of 7 hours a night and averaged 2 hours 21 minutes in large leak. I was in the middle of telling the doctor how well I was doing and seeing the look on her face I stopped cold. She then proceeded to set me straight how badly I was doing and then sent for 2nd sleep study. After that I found this website, and things have gotten a whole lot better.

Long story short, I am recovering day by day, month by month. My brain must have re-wired itself because my memory is mostly back, and I can drive long distances without falling asleep, I can go all day and skip the nap. The weight is slowly but surely coming off so I am able to move around now. :D

I thank everyone who has contributed to this website I have learned so much in my time here. After suffering for so long with this apnea I have my life back. I am not the same person I was 2 years ago for sure.

papa-bear

Postby papa-bear on Tue May 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Someone from another thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105439&p=998008) mentioned I should post this here, sry to any double-posting-notsi's.

-------
Just saying hi, a newly diagnosed member from "Sleepless" in Seattle (pun intended!). And a thanks to the powers that be that have this site up for all the useful info that I've found in the past couple of months. (I normally see a new members section to post these types of threads but didn't see one so I posted it with the main thread...)

Anyway, I'm newly diagnosed (about 2 months ago) and just started cpap therapy starting earlier this month and am still getting used to the machine. Overall, it definitely beats the heck out of what it used to be as I feel more refreshed in the 2 hours I use the mask than the 7 hours I normally got before. A slightt exaggeration but I don't need to take naps anymore!

My take home sleep study showed 13.8 ahi before, it's now down to less than an average of 4 with the new machine and all of the side effects I used to have are pretty much all gone. I've had multiple instances since 25 (now 38) of rushing to the hospital thinking I've had a heart attack but only to have the EKG and blood work come back negative every time. The docs always asked how my stress level was and I always answered with "what stress?". I'd constantly had instances where I felt a slight twitch or pinch in my heart, never knowing what the real problem was or if I had a faulty heart.

The last time I rushed to the ER two years ago, EKG came back negative (again) and I was just about to be discharged when the ER doc rushed to examine my chest again only to find out an X-ray spotted a mass in my chest. THAT was a tough week, someone trying to tell you that you may have the big "C" (sorry, still can't type that word) but it was thankfully later confirmed to be benign but I still got it removed.

Fast forward to 8 months ago, I started getting up at 4 am to work out, sleeping about 4-5 hours a night. I worked out that way for about 4 months losing about 20 pounds in the process, feeling healthier. Then one day on my way home, out of the blue, I get my first ever full blown Tony Soprano panic attack. Thankfully, fainting due to panic attacks are rare but I did need people to shuttle me back and forth from home and work for about a week, researched everything I can about panic attacks and breathing methods, docs all treating the anxiety with meds, me working with breathing techniques. That hell went on for about 2 months, my seemingly stress-free life filled with stress from thinking about all the stress!

Then 2 months ago, the anxiety meds weren't cutting it so I went in to see my doc but my doc was booked full for weeks so I ended up seeing a RN. The RN right off the bat, seeing me for the very first time, not knowing the difference between me and Adam, pulls out a sleep questionnaire after hearing my first 3 sentences. I think, "wtf?! I need stronger anxiety meds, not this sh1t!!?" but I humor her and fill it out. She takes a look at it and...

BAM!!

My problem that's been haunting me for a good part of my adult life is diagnosed (properly) for the first time. Again, fast forward to now, I'm still getting used to the machine, I'm still cursing every time I'm waking up in the middle of the night since i'm still not used to it, I'm still cursing in my head that I have to use this thing for the rest of my life...... but I'm really not cursing.

I thank that nurse and this machine for saving my sanity!

Anyway, didn't mean to spiel my life story just now but I started typing to say hi and I just kept typing. Thanks again for all the info and welcoming me and answering my questions!

papabear

tavalon49

Postby tavalon49 on Fri May 15, 2015 11:22 pm

I know the newbie who started this is either not a newbie or not a CPAP user anymore but there are new newbies so I'll share my story. I came to CPAP land via a very circuitous route. I was having hearing issues and got my hearing checked. My hearing was in the acceptable range and the ENT said maybe I was having processing problems and it might be sleep related. So he sent me to a sleep clinic. I'm not going to talk about that awful experience but I will say that while I was impressed with my husband's commitment to his CPAP since CPAP users can be very inconsistent, I had said for all those years that I would not, could not handle a CPAP. I already had insomnia issues and having a contraption on my face just wasn't going to work.

So my sleep doctor showed me my many apneas and said, let's get you a CPAP. I reluctantly agreed. When I went to the DME department and they tried me with a nose mask, it leaked horribly and the headgear was exactly like I saw with my husband. Yuck! Then she brought out Swift FX and the small pillows fit perfectly and the headgear was less cumbersome. So with great doubt, I took it home on a 6 month trial basis. Apparently many of us give up before 6 months, so they rent.

I'd like to say that's the end and me and my CPAP lived happily ever after but there was the two weeks of intense awfulness to get through. So awful, I was groggy and felt like I'd had little sleep and was having fantasies of throwing the machine of a high building. On day thirteen, I refused to wear it and I slept or felt like I slept, finally. But day 14, I went back and something had changed. It was easy and I slept pretty well, lighter than usual but woke up before my alarm feeling rested. It just got better and better from then on.

Now, I won't go anywhere without my precious. I even decided to buy at 2 months. When my sleep doctor recently mentioned that maybe I could discontinue after my tonsils were removed, I told him he would get my CPAP back when he pried it from my cold dead hands. I'm not just compliant, I'm in love. See, my nostrils have always been narrow and they tend to pull in as I breathe, so at night, I was a mouth breather. Now, I keep my mouth firmly shut and my CPAP blows open my nostrils and I can breathe. I even put it on when I'm not quite ready to sleep just because the feeling of not fighting the narrow nares is so nice.

I was warned about the first two weeks and they were awful, partly because of the machinery and partly because I had to learn tricks and ways of keeping it seated. I even had to clip it to my hair to keep me from removing it at night. I still do that because then I don't have to wear it as tight and still get no air leaks.

So the woman who wouldn't, couldn't wear CPAP is now a 100% compliant and happy, happy, happy.

Catnapper

Postby Catnapper on Sat May 16, 2015 8:57 am

You are so right, tavalon49. I am the no-longer newbie who started this thread. Still using cpap, and still checking the forum.
Thanks for your success story.
Catnapper - Joanie

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)