Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Spirit

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Post by Spirit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi,
Thanks to everyone, that shared thier success stories. All the stories, provides me inspiration & hope, I just started cpap last night, and so far doing well, need a few minor adjustments.

I hope to recover, from my zombie, spaced out lifestyle soon.

Good luck to all !!

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Spirit wrote:...I just started cpap last night, and so far doing well, need a few minor adjustments. I hope to recover, from my zombie, spaced out lifestyle soon...
You've come to the right place! Great info, great folks here. Register, fill our your equipment (text not icons), so people won't have to guess.

Welcome aboard!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Well, since we're telling stories here, I'll toss my story out as well. First, if I hadn't found this forum, learned about data from my machine (I started with an S8 Elite, fully data capable, but didn't know how to retrieve it—my RT told me that ONLY DME's and clinics could purchase the software!!). After more than a year (July 2006 – October 2007), even though I'd used my machine every night, I still felt tired, still felt that I wasn't getting recuperative sleep. My doc never scheduled a follow-up appointment . . . Then, I found cpaptalk.com. First thing I did was purchase the card reader and software. The machine showed my AHI for the previous 6 months, averaging 9. My pressure was prescribed at 6, and I had no idea how to change it (RT held that information as TOP SECRET). I decided that I wanted an auto machine that would enable me self-titrate, got the M Series Auto A-FLEX in October, 2007. Well, turns out that my required pressure "sweet spot" is 12. After experimenting with masks, humidifiers, getting my leaks under control, my AHI now averages 0.4 Most importantly, I just feel GREAT!! Consistently sleeping well, 8 hours of restful sleep. I feel rejuvenated, energized. So, I humbly submit that ALL CPAP users should take control of their therapy, should change their own settings. Had I not done this, I'd be continuing the useless therapy I began with. Well, that's my story! Three cheers for cpaptalk.com and all of you wise old-timers who saved my life (or at least lengthened it!).
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

ozgirl07

Post by ozgirl07 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Another 'masked woman virgin' sitting here with eyes puffed closed and a weeping, red,itchy triangular swollen imprint on my face. just want some sleep or some vet to just 'put me down'......have tried three masks which 'supposedly' are non allergenic. not a sensitive type of person but this cpap crap has teased me with a couple of good nights sleep and now is ravaging my face. i wear my sunglasses at night....

suz56

Post by suz56 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:56 pm

I am new but I realize that my starter number is too low. I have the respironics RemStar Auto M series with A-flex and the heated humidifier.
I also have the software which I haven't installed yet because I don't know how to change the settings.

I first got a sore nose without the humidifier. THen I set it on 2 like they suggested and just got a river running out of my mask. I set it at 1 but the air coming out of my mask is still cold.

I was responding to say that I am starting to feel better in the daytime. I didn't realize it until I stopped using it because I went to help my mom after back surgery and couldn't use it. (Does high altitudes affect your breathing or what? I felt REALLY like I wasn't getting enough air. (I just installed a quiet cap. Will that cause less air intake?)

I use a pillow mask. I can wear the whole thing just fine while reading but once I lay my head down the mask drives me insane. I haven't spent a full night yet. I got close a few times and thought I had it just right until this week with the travel. I do realize I am tired now and I wasn't when I wore the mask.... so it works. I think that turning the low setting up will make a big difference.

jmval

Post by jmval » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:15 pm

I am new to the forum. I like to see success stories because it keeps me from giving up. I have had the CPAP for 3 months now and I can't make it through the night with it on. I have the nasal pillows and they would be fine except for my allergies....my nose stuffs up and I can't breathe. I have severe allergies- taking two allergy meds, get two allergy shots every other week and use a nasal rinse. When my nose isn't stuffed up, I find I take it off in my sleep and turn off the machine. I just got another mask to try- a full face mask with the nasal pillow and mask over my mouth. Last night was my first night with it and it didn't go well. I am hoping the key is in finding the right mask. I am so frustrated. I also feel sore in my nose- I wonder if the nasal pillows are the wrong size or the strap is too tight or loose or something because where the pillows touch my nose is bothering me. I'm worried I won't be able to do this. The longest I have gone is 3 hours. I fall alseep okay but then take it off in my sleep or wake up freaked out and take it off.
I welcome any advise or input anyone can give me.

Engransan

Post by Engransan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:01 pm

After one year I think I've got it
Like many on this forum I was not content with the idea of leaving my therapy in the hands of the "professionals" so began reading comments and opinions of members who had made their way through the the trials and tribulations of hardware and mask selection and fine tuning. At first it all seemed confusing since opinions varied but I soon found that much of the variance was due to the many unique combinations of users, machines, masks and settings. My initial sleep package included the ResMed S8 Autoset II with pressure set by my Doc at a minimum of 9 and a max of 15. Leak alert was set to On and the exhaust pressure relief set to midrange of 2. Also included was the original Swift Nasal pillow mask with chin strap. After several nights being awakened numerous times by the leak alert I consulted the forum to learn how to access the machine settings and to disable the alarm.
I also learned how to access the LED display of my sleep data and since I didn't have the software at that time, I created an Excel file to plot and chart my nightly results. After a couple of months data tracking and mask adjustment with little improvement of the excessive leaks and nasal congestion I decided to switch masks to the ResMed Liberty full face. Needless to say, for those of you who have a Liberty, the leaks did not improve but I was now able to breathe through my mouth. With the nasal congestion still a problem I again researched the forum and found recommendations for the Netti Pot which I purchased at the drug store. It allows me to flush my nasal passages with a warm saline solution and eliminate the problem. By this time I had become accustomed to the idea of using the mask and to the sleep routine so decided to focus on the mask leaks again. I purchased a new Swift II nasal pillow mask and fitted it with large pillows and since I detested the chin strap decided to try sleeping without it. After several more nights monitoring the data I taped my mouth to test whether or not that was the cause of the excess leak. It was not. Again I researched the forum, decided to change my nasal pillows to medium and began using the Lanolin around my nares. The leaks improved dramatically. I could now focus on my actual treatment by purchasing the Rescan software and card reader. The only bad advise I have gotten from the forum occured when I decided to save a few dollars on the card reader and purchase directly from the company that makes it for ResMed. I probably should qualify that by saying the result was due more to my lack of research of the model number. I modified the card guide as suggested but soon found that the model sold to me was not recognized by the software. When the reader was replaced everything worked OK. It was immediately apparent from the graphs that my minimum pressure was too low. Gradually increasing the minimum pressure over several weeks I have reached Nirvana and sleeping like a kid again. Well except for the authritis etc etc etc.................................

Engransan
"OLD AGE AIN'T NO PLACE FOR SISSIES"

Maryland_Mike

Post by Maryland_Mike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:46 am

I'm not yet finished with my second week of CPAP therapy, but for me the change has been immediate. I no longer feel like I suffer from a combination of the flu and a hangover. I used to get out of my car at the end of the day feeling every joint in my body aching and head straight to bed. Now I feel like each evening is a weekend and I'm contemplating activities I would have never considered just a few weeks ago.

Perhaps the best thing is that I am free of the guilt that somehow my lack of enthusiasm for life was a character flaw. I'm not a lazy bum after all -- I was just sick, and now I am healthy!

spacetoast

Post by spacetoast » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Maryland_Mike wrote:Perhaps the best thing is that I am free of the guilt that somehow my lack of enthusiasm for life was a character flaw. I'm not a lazy bum after all -- I was just sick, and now I am healthy!
I know exactly what you mean! I felt the same way. It's been 3 weeks for me and already the outlook on life is sooo different.

susanspy

Post by susanspy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:48 am

HELLO ALL,,

WOW it is really cool post, i am interested in this post, i am newbie here, i would like to hear success stories, please. so please do more post here.

thanks alot

cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

DarkSideOfTheMoon

Post by DarkSideOfTheMoon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:52 pm

I have been on CPAP for almost 3 months. My first day I couldn't wait until evening to wear it. I took a one hour nap with it and I was in love! I hadn't felt so good ever. The first night....beautiful refreshing wonderful sleep. I cried to my diagnosing doctors office that they saved me! The next few nights....crappy sleep.......flinging hoses, rainout, mask leaks, mouth breathing, you name it.

These days I have good and bad nights. I am forever grateful that I have have my CPAP. I wouldn't sleep a wink without it now. I know it is saving my life and my sanity. I searched for YEARS (26 to be exact) to find out why I was so dead tired all the time. I wished for death to escape my misery. I also have viral induced chronic fatigue syndrome but OSA was my main culprit. The rest I can live with.

I no longer require or desire 3 hour daily naps. Most days I don't need one. I'm not struggling to stay awake every night. I can think straight and have better memory. I have gained 20 lbs....WTF...not good!!! I am not as impatient as I was. Most sick people would be grateful to JUST have to wear a mask and hook up to a machine to solve their problems. I never forget where I came from but I still look forward to my future and see it getting brighter as I continue therapy.

Take care,
Cathy
Best Regards,
Cathy

Peter_C

Post by Peter_C » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 pm

I feel like I should be a 'poster boy' for C-PAP!
Sleep Apnea was only explored because my at rest heart rate suddenly went from 80 to 128 - so lost my medical card (truck-driver). Never knew I had any issues with OSA...

Then I did my set of sleep studys - turns out I had "life threatening Obstructive Sleep Apnea"! And the DR was very surprised that I did not consider myself to have any 'sleep issues'...

Turns out I did, and never even knew it! Could never eat a meal without getting ill for the first 4hrs after waking. Could take a nap anytime, anywhere, even 20 minutes after waking up! Never dreamed! Sheets and blankets just destroyed every morning, woke up tired often (drove truck - thought that was the reason), woke up sore and achy too.

Got my "dream machine" and taught myself to breathe through my nose only (needed and later got nose surgery - was a mouth-breather), and I knew the morning after the first night! My wife said I fell asleep in like 5 minutes, and never moved, and the bedding was not even messed up.

THe dark circles under my eyes (had for years) slowly went away. I dream now! I feel rested when I wake up! I am (sometimes) hungry upon waking! I rarely nap anymore.

The whole process is simply the most critical medical change in my entire 47 years of life! Some 10 odd years later, I do not even take a 15 minute nap without it, PERIOD!!

Oh - and my at rest heartrate is in the low 90s now, and no snoring either...oh, and can sleep on my back now too
HTH

Peter_C
peter@putergeek.com
---
"Did you put water in it tonight Honey?"

kbrenn

Post by kbrenn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm new to CPAP therapy. Last night was my 6th night on the machine. It was the best night so far because of a minor change I made. My mask came with the medium size pillows installed and they seemed to fit pretty good with a leak once in a while. I decided to try the large pillows last night and they worked perfectly. No leaks and I was able to sleep on my side without worrying about leaks.

I also changed the pressure range on the machine from 4-20cm to 8-20cm. The experienced members of this forum indicated that 4cm is too low. My titrated pressure is supposed to be 9cm. I leave the heated humidifier at a setting of 2. I can't feel any heated air being supplied, but the water level does decrease and my nostrils feel fine in the morning - no stuffiness or pain.

So far I'm beginning to get use to the mask, but I haven't felt any different from when I didn't have CPAP therapy. Maybe it will take more time.

My machine doesn't have any diagnostic software available yet so I don't know how I'm doing. I was told that software should be available in 3 months. This machine uses an SD card which means that I already have a card reader in my computer. That's one less expense that I won't have when the software does become available.

Karl

kansas skyline

Post by kansas skyline » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:53 am

I am going on my one year mark. The CPAP has made all the differance to me. My brain is over being fried for lack of sleep and I no longer get groggy at late afternoon. I sleep pretty darn good now with dreams! The hard slog in adjusting to the mask paid off big time. Don't give up! The rewards are more than worth it! The key for me was getting some decent sleeping pills that I used for a month to get me over the hump.

cmr

Post by cmr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:24 am

I have been a CPAP users since June 2009. From day one I could see the difference. I did not take a nap after the first night, like I usually did. For so many years I blamed my sleep problems on allergy medication or the peri menapause/stress. I was so glad I was able to talk my doctor into letting me have the sleep test. She was really reluctant in letting me have one. Well my test showed I stopped breathing 77 times in 6 hours any where from 4 seconds - 29 seconds. Was I shocked. No more dark circles under the eyes. Imagine what a good night sleep can do for a girls skin. Whats up with weight gain, I noticeds I have gained 10 lbs and saw the same thing with other peoples posts. Plus I have been excercising again now that I have more energy.