Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SunnyBeBe

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Post by SunnyBeBe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:45 am

It's nice to see so many positive and encouraging stories. I have one too.

I had trouble staying asleep many years ago and in 1999 had a sleep study that supported that, but showed no breathing issues, no apnea, no hypopnea, etc. I just dealt with it.

Fast forward to one year ago when I started getting up to use the bathroom several times during the night. My doctor reduced my blood pressure meds, but it didn't help. I'm a Type I diabetic, but my blood sugars were good and not the culprit. Months later when I was going through a personal crisis and under stress, I would suddenly awake from my sleep with the feeling that I was dying. It was horrible. I was not gasping for air, but had the feeling I was almost dead. I saw an ENT and GP and had a sleep study. I did have breathing issues this time.

I think I took to the cpap pretty well. I had to switch to a medium nasal pillow and use a little gel on my nose, but the soreness left and I sleep like a baby. It's only been about 3 weeks! I still have a little arousal, but I no longer have to go to the bathroom during the night and I get solid 8-9 hours of sleep.

After a couple of days, I spontaneously danced around the house for no particular reason! I've gotten my spunk back. It's not a huge difference, but there is some difference. I now feel like I CAN accomplish tasks and enjoy doing them.

Now I find myself being concerned about others who I suspect have this condition. But, what can you do when a person refuses to explore that possibility? It's their business, but if they only knew how serious it can be.........I'm not sure why some people are so afraid to check it out. Our health and family is all we really have in this world. If we can protect it, then why not give it a try.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

BananaTree

Post by BananaTree » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:24 am

Amazingly positive stories!

I don't have mine to add yet, as I just did my first night last night, and had about 1 1/2 hours sleep. But I remain positive, an hope that I can add my own success story to this list. in a few weeks time!

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Last night's stats were an AHI of 0 and a 95% leak rate of 16.8 L/min.! My AHI hasn't gone over 1 since I changed to a data capable APAP machine back in April. I don't feel exhausted all the time anymore and I can now watch a TV show all the way through without nodding off. I'm considering mine a "success story"

Justin3

Post by Justin3 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:35 pm

I've had a CPAP machine for about 3 weeks now and I already noticed a huge difference.

A little back story, I was always on the heavier side, walking around at 210ish. Before I went to college, I ended up training Mixed Martial Arts and ended up walking around at 175. I started going to college and the stress and late nights stopped me from working out and eating healthy. Fast forward to this year, I weighed 238 and my girlfriend was the one who pointed out my sleep apnea.
After I got my sleep test and got my CPAP, my life changed drastically.
I'm down to 228 right now, I've been exercising and making the attempt to eat healthy(Although school makes it difficult) but most importantly, I am getting real sleep. My sleep was so messed up before the CPAP that I literally was a zombie for morning classes and dosed off once it was noon and without naps, I was dead. Driving on the freeway was bad because I would get drowzy.
Now, I wake up early, usually around 6:30 and I haven't used my alarm clock since and I feel refreshed and I haven't dosed off in class and my grades are improving and so is my quality of work.

Dozer_Ont

Post by Dozer_Ont » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:07 am

Was diagnosed with an AHI of 85 during a sleep study 3 weeks ago. Got the machine a few days later, and started out with the Wisp nasal mask. Machine was set on APAP mode with a range of 7 to 17 (ramp 4). Had some issues with mask adjustment and general comfort, but got my AHI down to an average of 6. Still not great, but much better.

Had 2nd assessment which changed the machine to CPAP with a pressure of 13. Also got the nasal pillows at that time. First 2 nights at the new pressure (and new mask) were a little uncomfortable.

Last night I slept just over 6 hours with an AHI of 1.8. The odd times I woke I thought the machine was malfunctioning because I didn't notice the air pressure, but it was definitely on.

Am now getting up earlier in the morning, haven't had a nap (intentional or unintentional) since I started using the APAP/CPAP. Even stayed awake during a 2 hour meeting which was always a struggle (though when someone has a 120+ page slide deck... that'll put anyone to sleep!).

To anyone else who is just starting off... YMMV (your mileage may vary). You may adjust quicker, or take more time, or need a different solution entirely. But if you go into the therapy with an open mind you'll have a much greater chance of success.

Nosleep4me

Post by Nosleep4me » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 pm

I'm a cdl driver and was forced into this scam after a bunch of lobbiests paid off politicians to force us(cdl drivers) into the sleep clinics. I have never had a problem sleeping and didnt feel tired on my long days of work. I lost 2 weeks pay just going into to do the stupid studies and fitting for the elephant mask. This doesn't count what I will be stuck with on my insurence deductable and having to pay for this overpriced humidifier with a fan on it. I even told the con artist that scheduled the testing I didnt understand why they bothered with the test because they already knew they were going to sell me the piece of chit machine and ruin my life. Sometimes i hate being right. Now that I have been using the snake oil I get no sleep and and suffer with headaches and a nasal congestion for most of the day. I'm tired all day and feel like kicking someones teeth in. Mostly the corrupt sob's in Washington for making me give my money to people who couldn't earn an honest living. I'm sure there are some people who have a problem but that doesn't mean everyone does and now unless I give up my license and quit my job I'm pretty much screwed. Madder than hell dont begin to cover it

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:18 am

The question comes down to what did your sleep study show?

You should get your results and review them.

If your data shows problems during sleep you should be thankful that they were found early and you may be able to repair any damage that has been done.

If your data doesn't show any issues, your anger is justified.

Nosleep4me

Post by Nosleep4me » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 am

First you have to believe the sleep study.

The results from the night they had me hooked up wearing the mask were worse than the night they just glued the wires to me.

I never had a problem sleeping. The ony reason I used to wake at night is from discomfort in my hip and should as a result of an accident. Now I'm awake all night, well for a little over 4 hrs when i can take the stupid mask off and then get at least 2 hrs of sleep.

This all boils down to when the goverment forces you to do something that you have no need of doing and ends up with you putting money in the pockets of people who cant make a living any other way, you have a scam.

If this overpriced humidifier doesn't cure toe fungus I'm gonna pissed, ,well more pissed

Jan63

Post by Jan63 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Best thing I ever did!!! I felt better after I worked out the migraines...
Had to change mask! I feel better have more energy!!!
Love my cpap!!! Only had it since March!!! Best thing I ever did!!

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:09 am

Hey all!

This forum helped me SO MUCH during my rough beginning, thought I'd post a happy update/success story!

I'm coming up on 3.5 years of xPAP therapy, and those first few months, I had a lot of doubts about whether I could make this work. In addition to OSA, I am a terrible sleeper, easily disturbed by noise and things on my face. I tried approximately a million masks, and each one felt not quite right.

Until I found one that was. I am still using the Mirage Liberty, years later, and it just *works* for me. I played with hose management, chin straps, hose covers, mask liners -- you name it, I played with it (and still do play with it), and pretty soon, all the pieces started to fall into place.

Now, I can't tell you how much I love this thing. My sleep is awesome, and I need less of it. My memory has increased and my blood pressure has decreased. This last year, in addition to my regular day job, I completed a 200 hour yoga teacher training, because why the hell not? I've got the energy/stamina for it. I could not have said that five years ago. I feel like this therapy has made me younger.

It was not an easy go for me, and I thought about quitting A LOT. But now, looking back, I am so grateful I didn't. And I owe so much gratitude to the kind people on this forum who helped me through my dark nights. If you're having a rough time, please know how great it looks on the other side. Much luck and affection! xo

slickwil

Post by slickwil » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Just checking in, its been a while since i was on here. It has been 2 1/2 years and doing great on my machine still. I cant sleep without it. I cant even take a nap without it which I rarley do anymore.

itsjustme

Post by itsjustme » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:53 pm

The first few nights I kept wondering what I had gotten myself into. I did exactly what another poster suggested, I would wear my mask for awhile in the evening while watching TV, except with my machine turned on. (It counts as compliance time to keep the insurance co. happy). At first as soon as I hit the 4 hours the mask would come off and I would try to sleep. But I kept at it and started keeping the mask on longer and longer. Now at almost 60 days in I barely even notice it anymore and am no longer wanting to rip it off and toss it in the trash. I no longer dread going to bed and having to put it on. The therapy is doing its job and my numbers are great, I'm still not getting enough sleep but the sleep I do get is better quality. No more waking up feeling like I'm suffocating, no more morning headaches and sore throat. And no more snoring loud enough to shake the foundation of the house! There are good nights and bad nights but it is getting better. The best advice I can offer other newbs is to communicate with your Dr and DME, don't be afraid to be a pain in their rear if you need to. I have been fortunate to have a good Dr. and a great DME which helps tremendously.

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:41 pm

I haven't been to this site in quite some while but ive been on my cpap every night since the day I started in June 2013.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

Sleepysuz

Post by Sleepysuz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Have had my APAP 14 months now. I suspect I needed it since I was a teen 45 years ago. Have always snored and woken suddenly with heart racing and having to get up to pee even if I didn't drink much. Was thin woman, but have a small mouth and overbite. Both set you up for apnea. Have been sleepy in movies and waiting rooms all my life. What a waste! Cpap Changed my life. A friend had to get a pacemaker when apnea messed up their heart. Glad mine was caught in time

One advice. Don't give up. I had to try almost every mask and pillow to find what worked for me. It took a couple of months. My DME had a box of sample masks to try to fit. I ordered ones you could return from our host. There is a mask for you. Your health is worth the work to find it

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Newbie. Some encouragement and a tad of advice. I have had my full face mask for about 5 weeks now but needed it years a go. For my first two weeks, I got almost zero rest (almost like my apnea caused) but, determined to make it work, my husband was online and found the full face and nasal cotton liners from RemZzzs. I have been using them every night and have got such great rest that I stay alert and have energy now!! I very seldom have a leak anymore. I would highly recommend them to anyone who is having the frequent leak problem.