Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
turtle

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Post by turtle » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:01 am

I'm a newbie with a success story already. I completed two sleep studies in June and July 2015. Dx with severe apnea and now wear a bipap every night. I tried 2 other masks -- nasal, partial face and now full face. For me, full face turned out to be the best. I had trouble with the chin strap I needed to wear to keep my mouth closed. The full face (which is just really the nose and mouth) does not require me to wear the chin strap. I sleep deeply and am not ravenous throughout the day. Bipap has stabilized my metabolism, and I've lost 13 lbs without hardly trying. I am refreshed in the morning and require only 6 hours of deep bipap sleep. I work with a nurse practitioner. I will remain dedicated to this process because of the quality of life and reduction of risk factors.

sparkgaps

Post by sparkgaps » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Newest of all "newbies" here.

I finally bit the bullet and had a sleep study done. Dr. immediately put me on CPAP. And I finally got it today. (ResMed 10 Autoset/Pillow)

While trying to learn more about the ResMed and looking for other user experiences, I ran across this forum/post.

While reading everyone's stories, I didn't know if I wanted to laugh, cry, or puke. I have been searching for the cause of my demons for the last 8 years... And I have read every one of my symptoms in this post!

Many years ago, I was at work... I felt like I blacked out for a second and my heart rate was through the roof. I went to an urgent care and my BP was at 200/110... After about 10 minutes it rested back to a normal place. Dr.'s wanted to put me on BP meds but I never took them because it was an isolated incident. After this ordeal, I've felt cloudy ever since...

Between EKG, MRI, Sinus Surgery, BP Meds, Allergy treatment, ENT evals, mucho weight loss, caffeine/nicotine free... I am still spiraling down... Lack of energy, cloudy, reflexes gone, memory shot... Nothing seems to be working...

About 6 months ago I was traveling overseas. I woke up at midnight with my heart about ready to jump out of my chest. Luckily, I was traveling with an MD, and 4hrs later I was back to normal... But concluded that I need to change my life and health...

So I came home and lost 50 lbs and really changed my diet. Not feeling any better, but work must go on... I traveled overseas again... In a taxi ride on the way to the office and I felt like I was going to pass out... By time I made it to the office, my heart rate was going crazy and I was shaky/weak. Rushed to the hospital and EKG/blood work was normal...

When I got back from that trip, I went to see a Neurologist. And of course he put me on a CPAP... Which is where I am starting my journey today...

While this is not a success story... YET... I found a glimmer of hope and excitement from reading other peoples stories... I've read so many stories that sound just like mine!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your stories!!!!! And I will definitely share mine in time!

NightAir

Post by NightAir » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:27 pm

turtle wrote:I'm a newbie with a success story already. I completed two sleep studies in June and July 2015. Dx with severe apnea and now wear a bipap every night. I tried 2 other masks -- nasal, partial face and now full face. For me, full face turned out to be the best. I had trouble with the chin strap I needed to wear to keep my mouth closed. The full face (which is just really the nose and mouth) does not require me to wear the chin strap. I sleep deeply and am not ravenous throughout the day. Bipap has stabilized my metabolism, and I've lost 13 lbs without hardly trying. I am refreshed in the morning and require only 6 hours of deep bipap sleep. I work with a nurse practitioner. I will remain dedicated to this process because of the quality of life and reduction of risk factors.
Find the right BiPap or BiLevel and right mask! Then watch your life change! Stick with it! Do not give up!

bro5mo

Post by bro5mo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:21 am

First post for me...

I wore my full mask with air/gel seal last night for the first time. Once I fell asleep I was surprised to only wake up twice. I slept in four hour blocks and needed a break from the mask. I have suspected apnea for years because I sleep with a nurse (my wife). She said She also had the best nights sleep in a while.

I am a pilot so when not at work I would sleep in till 1000 then wake up tired and ready to sleep again. This morning I was up around 0730 ready to go. I worked out and still have most of my day left!! I feel great. In my sleep study I was having events every minute and they woke me up at 2400 to put a mask on me. I feel this is the best nights sleep I have had since I was in my 20's.

I have a lot to learn. I travel six months out of the year, so I need to get into a routine for this stuff.

Hang in there and keep on using the mask. You'll get there!

Rick

bpathakis

Post by bpathakis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi,

I'm relatively new to cpap therapy. I've been using my cpap for just under a month, but I already have some positive results.

First, I'm getting more sleep, and better quality sleep. For me, that means about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, which is much better than I was getting before (2-4 hours).

Second, my wife and co-workers commented that I'm much more cheerful and less grumpy than before.

It has taken some adjustment using a cpap, but for me it's been worth it.

tr women

Post by tr women » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:50 am

I have had my CPAP machine for 3 years now. I use it every night. Before I never felt rested. I would fall asleep anywhere Is sat down at. believe me it was enbarresing to say the least. I would fall asleep during at a meeting and everyone would watch me. Even my boss. Now I feel well rested and I stay awake !!!!! I would'nt do without it.

zaria37

Post by zaria37 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with acute osa, and have had a cpap machine since 2008. I have to say I consider it a lifesaver. While it took a while to feel more energy, I started sleeping through the night immediately. When before it looked like someone had attacked me during the hight, now I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. I haven't been able to sleep well without it, evevthough the mask took some getting used to. The newer, nose only models with the thinner straps are much more comfortable. I haven't seen much of a weight loss, but the rest of the benefits are worth it.

Cindiwa

Post by Cindiwa » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:27 pm

I have had my CPAP for about 4 years and I love it so much (Its a system one 460 now that I got used to have a heated hose, I get rain out from keeping my bedroom so cold)! When I did my sleep study and was hooked up to those electrodes, I kept apologizing in advance to the Drs that I would have to wake up and pee every half hour or more and those electrodes would be coming off and on all night. They woke me up at the 2 hour mark and stuck a mask on me. It was awful at first, felt like I was not getting enough air but after I relaxed, I slept for 5 straight hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! No getting up to pee. I felt rested, for the first time in who knows how long? I have snored my whole life, I have a small mouth and small sinuses and have had friends make me sleep in the hotel bathrooms on trips. My husband kept telling me that I was choking in the night and I asked him how much and he told me every few minutes! My Dr sent my butt right to the sleep study and and my whatever that number that counts how often you quit breathing was 117 (I think?). They told me I was one of the worst they'd seen in awhile.

If I fall asleep without the mask (like for a nap in the afternoon) my throat and head hurts so much from snoring. I have lost a little weight but still have sleep apnea. I think I have to stay friends with my machine for the rest of my life but I don't feel right without it. I love the masks I have had since the beginning (Mirage FX for her) and I can sleep on my side with them. I am a light sleeper so haven't had problems with pulling the mask off or anything. I read these forums (I don't post much) but saw some ideas on ways to hook my hose to go up through a hook in the ceiling and that is what I do. Its comfortable and I was able to get rid of the big ole hose stand thing. I get checked yearly to keep my prescription updated and my number thing is 2.5 a night(I think its how much I slip in an apnea) I'm not very technical, but I have had much success with my machine and tell anybody who asks. So far 2 people I know got CPAP and won't use it and I actually feel bad for them because of how much it changed my life once I was able to sleep at night and not feel like I need to sleep all day.

Night Ranger

Post by Night Ranger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:11 pm

18 years this May. Took a while but my apnea and subsequent fatigue made qujring impossible. Last sleep study in 2010 -- had to do it for medicare. The lab was kind enough to let me lay in the bed for 2-3 hours gasping, choking and suffocating to make sure I qualified. I'd been 100% compliant since 1997 but no matter. Put on my mask and had the titration. Next day was bad. Doing fine -- living in the present -- bought my own auto cpap -- insurance wouldn't pay -- need to get it set up and off I go.

oncomingspork

Post by oncomingspork » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:56 pm

It's been a week and I feel pretty good. My only quibble is the pillows are a tiny bit large, but the next smaller size goes whistly with leaks. So I put lotion on my nose before bed, and that seems to help.

AHI went from 18 down to like...2ish. I'll take it! I went 5 days without a nap! And I only took one today because I think I'm coming down with something. (Wore the mask during the nap, too.)

docanddeb

Post by docanddeb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:23 pm

3 months in now. Took me 3 weeks to get used to it, but soooo worth it! I've had insomnia my whole adult life. I still wake up more than most, but my sleep quality has improved and I fall asleep MUCH faster than I used to. I really feel this great machine has improved my quality of life... husband got one at the same time and he is better too. I even made some great cotton covers for the full masks that helped with my skin irritation. My brother and his wife are getting machines too. Amazing how many people are affected and don't know it! Keep at it and get something that works, your life depends on it!

Debbie
Debbie & Jim
CPAP for LIFE!

Mr Nifty

Post by Mr Nifty » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:10 pm

No one could figure out why I had to urinate 3 to 4 times a night. They did a bunch of tests of me and none provided the answer. Recently after a colonoscopy a anesthesiologist recommended I have a sleep test because I may have sleep apnea. As it turns out I have severe sleep apnea. With my bipap I now do not need to urinate most nights. I get a decent 8 hour sleep. Still waking up some and getting used to mask. Been sleeping better since January 13th 2016.

But I am really struggling with finding a mask that does not leak. Due to my high pressure they all seem to leak.

I have tried the following masks.ng
ResMed-FFM
AirFit F10-FFM
Swift FX Nano-Pillow
AirFit N10-Nasal
Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM
Mirage Quattro-FFM

Have two more masks on order. ResMed Mirage Active LT Nasal and Respironics ComfortGel Blue
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

spmccord

Post by spmccord » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:29 am

Just had my 2nd year follow up with my sleep doctor.

She gave me a gold star because I had 0 apneas in the past 14 months!

ratcfc

Post by ratcfc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:40 am

I had very severe OSA , and the situation got much worse approx 15 months ago. I noticed that I had lost a lot of stamina, was putting on weight, and was just struggling to get through a full day of work. I used to get up on weekends and do things in the morning...and in the last 6 months I have basically been unable to wake up on saturday mornings, and have needed naps all through the weekend just to recover from the lack of sleep during the week.

I finally got on CPAP using the FP Ikon+ and Resmed nose only mask this monday. I felt immediate improvement in my energy, ability to concentrate, and general wakefulness. After the fourth day, I noticed a transformation in my mood and energy, and also noticed that my senses were sharper. Food tasted better. Music sounded better. Exercise was easier and the endorphins felt stronger. I was...happier. My acid reflux has reduced significantly as well

It's early days so I dont want to jinx anything but I am very greatful,

I do still wake up a couple of times when the air pressure gets a little too much and I have to press the bridge button, and I seem to be grinding my teeth a little, but I am going to monitor this over the next few weeks to see how it goes.

grizfan

Post by grizfan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:55 am

probably too early to call it a success story, but how about an encouraging start story. I'm 8 days in, and have already started to enjoy the benefits of finally treating this nasty condition.

In hindsight, I most likely have been dealing with OSA for at least the last 10 years, muddling through. Blaming my lack of energy and fatigue on a wide variety of other things. About 4 months ago, I came down with a nasty sinus infection that really amped up my OSA. Sinus infections have been pretty common for me, and this one was a doozy. Took months to shake, and all the while, my OSA must have gone off the chart, and I was really struggling to muddle through. My ENT suggested a sleep study. It took a few weeks to get an appointment, another week or so to review the results. I would consider my sleep study a near disaster. It turned into a split study, with the lingering sinus infection, my OSA was off the chart (I still need to track down the results for my own records). Something like 60.
They work me up and hooked up a CPAP. I was actually excited at the prospect. I had been doing some reading (not enough, I should have been on this forum much sooner) and I strongly suspected that the CPAP was the solution to my problems. At least, until I tried it the first night. Started with a full-face mask. It was bulky, uncomfortable and made this loud fluttering noise every time I exhaled. laid in bet for 90 minutes with that thing, feeling more and more claustrophobic and struggling with the sensation of having air blown in my face. So, the switched me to a nose-only mask. That helped a lot, but I still couldn't adjust to the airflow in my face. I never did fall asleep, and left at 6:00 am the next day feeling pretty dejected.
About a week later, I get a call from my local medical supply store to set up an appointment to get fitted with a CPAP machine. At this point, I thought I'd give it one more go, in the comfort of my own home.
I came home with my new machine, and thanks to me starting to read this forum, I knew to approach this thing in phases. Tried the first night, found out I WASN'T one of those lucky ones who took to CPAP therapy right away. I lasted 1 hour of not sleeping, gave up until the next day. Over the weekend, I spent time around the house hooked up to the machine. Watched a little TV, caught up on some computer working the office, etc... At first, my goal was just to go 20 minutes with the machine on, and work my way up to 1 hour sessions. that helped. But, still unable to fall asleep. Monday morning, I call my sleep doc, Monday afternoon, I pick up my Ambien Rx, and Monday night, after about an hour's effort, I fall asleep and log about 4 hours sleep on the machine. Each night got better, too. 5.5, 7, 7.5.
Last night, I fell asleep much faster (less than 30 minutes), but after about 5 hours, I woke up and could not get back to sleep. So, rather than fight it, I got up. I figure 4 or 5 hours of CPAP-assisted sleep is still way better than the 7 or 8 of OSA sleep.
So, how do I feel? Better, much better. I'm still a bit anxious about strapping on and going to sleep, but I am doing better with the air pressure in my nose. I'm working on improving my numbers, and I'm really focusing on my evening routine. At this point, my primary goals are falling asleep on my machine, and going back to sleep on my machine if I get up too early (still need to work on that 2nd one).
So, what improvements have I seen? Well, I do see more energy. At first, it was the first half of the day, and I'd still crash in the evening. But, that's improving. Before therapy, I would get up early Saturday morning, grab a cup of coffee and sit down to read the newspaper, fall asleep for a couple of hours and struggle to get my day started before 1:00pm. Now, I get work done in the morning, and am out of the house by 10:00 to run errands. My sinuses feel much better! I used to suffer acid reflux, but hardly any symptoms in the last week. Hell, even my skin is clearing up!
Most importantly, I now feel like I have the energy and drive to keep pushing forward with CPAP. OSA is a nasty beast, and one of the worst things about it is that OSA saps you of the strength and will to take on something like CPAP. Those first couple of days were hard, and discouraging. I read this thread at night while trying to fall asleep. But, as I get more benefit of therapy, I get more motivated to keep working at it. I know there's lots of work ahead of me, and I fully expect setbacks, but 8 days later, I'm feeling a lot better and feeling much more optimistic about CPAP therapy. Oh... My wife can finally sleep in our own bed again! That was a huge sign of encouragement. My snoring is gone, and she can get a good night's sleep. When that happened, I felt a huge boost

If I was to offer one piece of advice it would be this: don't expect overnight miracles. Set small goals for yourself; goals that directly challenge the areas of therapy that stress you out the most. Can't stand a mask on your face? Practice wearing it during the day, setting increasing goals for the amount of time you can wear it. Do the same while hooked up to the machine. Be patient with yourself; just try to beat your last goal and keep improving.
now... other tips? Don't be afraid to contact your care providers on this. Make sure you have the right gear, and that it fits properly. Can't sleep? consider asking your doc for a sleeping aid prescription. Anything to advance your CPAP therapy. One last tip: I've made a pact with myself; If I'm in bed, the mask and machine are on. If I can't sleep, I get up and leave the bedroom until I am ready to sleep. If that means getting up for the day at 4:00 am, so be it. Me and my mask have a date tonight, we can make up for it then...

Additional Comments: DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11
DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500H11 with humidifier, DreamWear nasal pillow mask