Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MoneyGal

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Post by MoneyGal » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:58 pm

(I can't answer on the weight gain. I haven't experienced either a loss or a gain.)

Here's my success story, my second post in this thread. I have hesitated to even say this anywhere, but then I realized some people are actively looking for success stories, so here goes!

My setup is so comfortable and unobtrusive to me that I often forget I am wearing it. I will wake up briefly in the night, or think, as I am falling asleep, "am I wearing my mask and is my machine turned on?" -- because my setup is so unnoticeable to me.

I know that part of this is that I have simply gotten used to my machine and mask. But honestly, there are many, many times that my setup is as non-disruptive to me as my glasses are. You know that old trope about looking for your glasses and not realizing you are wearing them? That's me and CPAP.

I'm sharing this story so that people know that for some of us, total immersion in the world of CPAP is possible. BTW, I am 41 (almost 42 now), female, and my untreated AHI is 91, RDI 41. In my sleep study, I got no REM sleep and nearly 20% of my night was spent at 02 sats of less than 88%.

jodygal

Post by jodygal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:23 pm

I did not think I had sleep apnea although I had snored like a trooper for 25 years. In fact, a sleep study in 1999 revealed no sleep apnea. In the last few years my blood pressure went up (went on medication) and I could not stick to a diet for my weight problem. I exercised for hours every day with no discernable weight difference. I didn't think I had daytime sleepiness because I could perform all day although I realize now that I was pushing myself through fatigue. After another sleep study last fall, it was revealed that I stopped breathing for 70 times an hour for 14 sec. but only in the dreaming phase of sleep. Obviously, I wasn't really sleeping at all. I resisted being fitted for a CPAP for several months, thinking I'd enjoy a 2 month vacation first. I then got fitted and for some reason decided to take a positive attitude towards it, especially after I increasingly realized how dangerous my condition was. For some reason I adapted almost from the first night and my life has changed dramatically. I never feel tired during the day and can stay awake longer in the evening. My blood pressure has decreased dramactically to the point where it is extremely low on medication ( 95/55) My appetite has decreased and I have lost 20 LB( I have been following a weight loss plan). I think of it as a friend and almost feel relieved when I put it on and turn out the light. I perhaps was lucky to achieve a good fit with the mask which is a nose one. I keep my mouth closed all night. That's my story.

piggy mask girl

Post by piggy mask girl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:36 pm

I am a Nurse, so I was commited to trying to gain more energy; need it for work! So I toughed it out for 2 months. I have a full face Miragte Quartro. My energy level was so low for so long, my energy did not come in a burst, instead it sort of crept up on me. I started to notice little things like better concentration in the evening. Not having that slump @ 2:00pm in the afternoon. I am on a mild antidepressant and I really relied on that medication to get me through. The last few weeks I have forgotton my medication and did not miss it. Be aware of the little things. Not everyone gets that burst, plus how much sleep are you getting anyway? I know I need to go to bed 1 hour ealier than I do. I was also more tired in the beginning because I was anxious and always trying to readjust my mask etc. The point is I was more tired in the beginning. When I got the mechanics in place, I slept more.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:25 am

For the newer members here, this was my story a year ago:

Another One Bites The Dust (And is diagnosed with Moderate - Severe Sleep Apnea)...

My brief story: I'm 57 years old, a certified Life Guard, hiked 20 miles within the last year, and have tried to stay fit.
About a year and a half ago, I began experiencing unusual fatigue. Sometimes I found myself very sleepy driving home from work while in gridlock. I would often fall asleep as soon as I was home. I curtailed riding my motorcycle to work, because I didn't know if I would be able to ride it home at the end of the day. I didn't feel like myself and didn't participate at the same level in usual activities. My eyes hurt. My greatest fear was I was dying of something so I went to the primary care Dr. He did the standard lab screening and nothing. I insisted I was tired all the time, and my mother is battling sleep apnea. I then did one overnight study and was diagnosed with classic moderate-severe apnea. Next, another study night with a machine. They said I slept some....but I felt like I laid there all night using all my willpower to keep that mask on.

Months have gone by. Now I visit the equipment provider. They put me in a chair, strapped on some equipment and went through a list of directions. I went home and throw the equipment into the closet where it stayed a few weeks. I was in some kind of denial.....I can beat this.....I can't possibly need to sleep on a "machine".

I must have been feeling bad.....the severity seems to vary, but I tried the mask about 3 nights. It leaked like crazy when I tried to sleep on my side. Back in the closet.

I am laid off work. (I don't even want to think it's related.) Weeks go by. My memory fades, but I went back to the equipment provider. I got a smaller mask and was now able to roll over on my side without an automatic huge air gap.

I was able to keep the mask on a couple hours a night for a few days, and then would strip it off in my "sleep". Back in the closet.

Weeks go by. I'm suddenly feeling really bad, and losing all interest ( and ability) to do usual activities. My concentration is completely gone. I have difficulty formulating thoughts and speak in a very labored way.

OK. I enter the acceptance stage. I'm screwed and need to start fighting harder. Drag out the mask and clean up the equipment. Start a log of the hours that I'm actually asleep. Vow to keep the mask on all night.

Two weeks go by. Have worn mask for 11 nights. Got some sleep. Don't feel that great. They say there is a period that getting used to the mask and blowing air may keep you awake more, just when you need the sleep most. Like a double edge sword.

I ran into my neighbor yesterday. He just returned from a 7,000 mile motorcycle trip touring the western US! I told him I thought of doing that this summer while I was out of work, but, I was diagnosed with the sleep apnea, and wasn't up to it.

He told me, " I have it too". He has been on a machine for 6 years and took it with him on his trip. He said, "It saved by life"...but not before he suffered some health damage, and lost his wife and family before he figured out what was wrong. Obviously, he must be feeling a lot better, and gave me more hope.

I dread going to bed at night. I hate the machine. I have a hard time breathing with the mask and have a stuffy nose due to allergies. I take Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray & Sudafed PE sinus headache each night so I can breath through my nose.

I know you all have similar stories. Thanks for your interest, and any advice is valued. I particularly would benefit from any comments on the equipment I've been provided. I'm really new to this.

Thanks,
Georgio

My new M-Series CPAP was overnighted to my by CPAP.COM on September 9, 2008 (received in less than 24 hrs after order), and I returned the basic Resmed Escape machine originally given me. Now I belong to a swim club and swim a mile 5 days a week! I have lost almost 20 lbs! Life is so much better and I'm no longer too tired to do the things I want. No longer feeling like I would fall asleep driving. I have my life back! Next weekend I'm backpacking my cpap and camping gear 15 miles to a primitive camp with Boy Scouts. Cpap, CPAPTALK.COM, Johnny Goodman and the kind folks here saved me! My deepest thanks and appreciation to you all. It's not so easy a cave man can do it, but with persistence and learning about your condition here, you too will succeed. I hope my story will benefit those starting out. Good luck with your therapy.

Georgio
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 am

11 Years now since diagnosed with OSA, as a result of sleep study. Went from falling asleep at work, and being able to manage approximately 10 minutes in front of the TV, to being NORMAL in my life activities. My blood pressure is down, as a result of therapy and meds, and quality of sleep is actually pleasant--I look forward to going to bed, and not waking up with the sound of a water buffalo snoring and choking. It was not without adjustments, but I've been compliant since day one, and "took to the hose" very readily. The first night on Cpap therapy 10 years ago blew me away, as I'd forgotten what 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep was like.
Last edited by Autopapdude on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OzarkTurtle

Post by OzarkTurtle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Iv been on CPAP for 1 year and 5 months now and I sleep unbelievably well I sedomly wake up during the night. I used to be awoken by my apnea every couple hours and I was also getting up to go to the bathroom alot also, I was probably getting a total of maybe 3 hours of sleep a night if I was lucky. Now I get 7 or 8 hours a night I don't fall asleep during the day Im not tired during the day, I still like the occasional nap, but its because I can not because I need one. Hang in there it will get better. I actually love sleeping with my cpap because I know I will sleep well and feel great in the morning.

Rapunzel111

Post by Rapunzel111 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:23 pm

I have had my machine since March 2006.I also have Osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis).
I used to fall asleep at work and while driving.I am 100% compliant and use my machine every night.It took a gradual adjustment period to get me to that moment when I could tell I didn't feel like I was dying anymore which was the reason why I got a sleep study to begin with.I seriously thought I was dying or had cancer and this is what lead me on my journey with the CPAP machine.My machine is now my best friend and I couldn't imagine living without it.
I have made some serious life changes post-CPAP and now I only drink occasionally,I don't drink a whole pot of coffee in the morning before work and I quit smoking after 18 years of 2 packs a day.I now dream beautiful dreams that I can remember and I had stopped dreaming long ago...they finally came back!!!!!!!!!!!I am overjoyed!!!!!I now have enough energy to cycle 4-6 miles a day.Even though I am still overweight I feel better and have a richer fuller life since CPAP.My skin is smoother and I look and feel younger.(I am 41)Be patient with your treatment-it takes time to get used to the machine and mask.Don't give up!
God Bless!
Rapunzel111

satansoft

Post by satansoft » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:27 pm

I had always needed only 4 to 5 hours sleep a night, throughout my twenties and thirties, then in my mid thirties I started needing more and more sleep, till no matter how much sleep I got, it was never enough. . . I could be in bed for fifteen hours, get up, and then be drop dead tired after 30 minutes. At one point it was that bad that I would fall asleep mid conversation with friends, and nod off and drop full cups of hot drinks. I even started hallucinating at one point. I stopped driving anywhere more than 4 or 5 miles away, and curtailed my driving to just local shopping etc. I had an overnight sleep study in hospital, and they sent me home with a CPAP Machine. . .

I have now been using it for about 2 years, and I am noticeably better. . I still have the odd issue such as water condensing inside the mask when the bedroom is cold, and I frequently wake up with my mouth really dry, but these are just niggles and the benefits far outweigh these minor problems. . I am now able to get through the day without falling asleep at all, although I still feel a bit listless occasionally. . . Pre CPAP, My Epworth scale was mostly 3 - 4 answers, and now its mostly 0 - 1. . . To illustrate the machines effectiveness, My mask broke a couple of months ago, and I didnt use it for about a week whilst waiting for a replacement. . . I started nodding off in the daytime again, and was glad when my machine was functional again. . . . I'm sure that you will see some improvement, and any has got to be better than none, right!

GeneS

Post by GeneS » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:53 pm

I started on CPAP in 1985 using the first commercial CPAP (from Respironics). I know that I had a problem before but there were no answers or treatment available before 1985. I have had ups and downs with treatment and several CPAP related surgeries over the years but always stayed with cpap. I have been lucky. I still work full time even though I am past medicare age. I do not take any medicine yet although I need to watch my weight and diet to keep my numbers in line. I still play tennis and plan to play with my grandsons this winter to help them get ready for the High School tennis team. One big problem I have had over the years is mouth breathing. I learned about taping and software on this forum and they have helped me a lot. Although there are no guarantees it is possible at least for some to have long term success with cpap even if every night is not a good night.
Genes

OneCatBelleSundance

Post by OneCatBelleSundance » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:22 am

It's now been three months since I started using a CPAP and can't begin to describe the difference it's made in my life. I can think again, even in the middle of the afternoon. Sleep so sound that many nights I barely move. My cat has figured this out and often sleeps right on me rather than just next to me. I don't have a card reader but went to the sleep doc last week and got some current numbers. The numbers really tell the story as to why I feel so much better.

10-13 AHI -- 2.4
10-12 AHI -- 2.2
10-11 AHI -- 2.0
10-10 AHI -- 1.7
10-9 AHI -- 2.3

To everyone out there struggling. Keep working with your machine and mask. The hassle is definitely worth it.

tcaron

Post by tcaron » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am

Diagnosed with Apnea about 5 years ago....

6' 1"
Male
196 lbs, was 210lbs in April.

I got my first Resmed machine 5 years ago but just could not get used to it.
Never needed to take any meds for anything but in March was diagnosed with diabeties, glucoma, high BP.
Anyone whos says these conditions are not realted to apnea is wrong including my doctors!
After my last sleep study I receved a new Resmed Autoset II and Liberty mask that I love. Tried 5 other full face masks without success.
Have gotten two weeks of 7 to 8 hours sleep and my numbers as read in the Clincal mode look pretty good. AHI 2.6.
I'm feeling a bit better and have ordered the Resscan software and card reader.
I'm hoping that after about 44 days of use that my blood sugar levels come down as seen in a study of diabetic patients on CPAP therapy.

I'm hopefull that the "fog" that I've been living in disappears with continued CPAP therapy. Doc says it may take a couple of months for the body to catch up.

Tom C

Reborndreamer

Post by Reborndreamer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Catnappper /Joanie here is a brief resume of my experience. At the beginning the cpap adventure was like a force wedding. I did not like the bride and having a long tern affair with this weird machine was not something as was really looking for. But after almost 6,000 hours this little dark grey box has become my mistress and I would not even consider going to bed without it.

I got some very good information and advice from this board/members and my Encore pro is reporting goods news every morning for more than a year, My OAI average is ranging from 0,1 to 0,2/hour and I have something 7.5 hours of sleep per night. So… as you can imagine my energy level is now very good and I am also way more productive intellectually and physically. Ho! I almost forget my wife is also recuperating nicely of years of bad night of sleep because of my apnea problem.

Good luck and remember, perseverance and patience are the two keywords for all new comer in this very special journey for a better life

Michel
Reborndreamer
(the French guy)

akosidave

Post by akosidave » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:50 pm

I've been a hose head for about six months now. The the first morning I woke up after using CPAP for the first time was one of the happiest days of my life! I finally had a decent night sleep and each day afterwards I felt better and better. After about a month or so it changed as it seemed like I hit a brick wall with my treatment. I was certainly feeling better with treatment than without, but I was not where I thought I should have been. I had read about people having "bursts of energy" and having significantly improved mood. I grew impatient and wanted quick results, afterall I was 100% compliant with my treatment. I was very disappointed that I had not yet "arrived." Over the next few months, I struggled to stay positive about my treatment. At times I would wake up in the middle of the night rip my mask off and throw it across the room. After realizing I could'nt sleep without it, I would crawl out of bed and put the mask back on as I cursed to myself about this wretched contraption. But things did get better and it didn't happen all at once, but very gradually. It's really only been this past month and a half that I have really noticed the difference. Yes, I have a little more energy, but certainly, not as some people describe. What I have noticed is my mood. I am not so dark and depressed as I once was and I'm even starting to enjoy life again. I'm also starting to sleep less, about 8 hours now. What I noticed most of all, is that I now have hope for myself. I know that I am doing better because I didn't give up and by continuing my treatment I will continue to improve. I still have the occasional bad night and will continue to have those every now and then. But overall, I know that I am beginning to reclaim my life.

The take home messages I would give to any newbie are first, don't compare your progress with another person's as we all share a similiar diagnosis, but we are still very different physically, mentally, and emotionally. Hence, we will progress through our treatment at different paces. Second, Don't give up. You will only begin to feel better if you remain consistent with your treatment. I don't know how long it will take you, but I do know that if you are not consistent you will never get there.

Best wishes in your journey!

verytiredtoo

Post by verytiredtoo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:45 pm

I have been usung CPAP therapy for a little over a year and I simply can't do without it. I have suffered through a couple of nights with no power and felt absolutely miserable the next day. So for me it is quite a contrast but I never had a eureka moment. Hang in there. It will help.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:11 pm

I am at my parents house this week. There was problems with the foundation so last spring a trench was commenced to replace the weeping tile - it is 5 feet deep and 2 feet wide around 3/4 of the house. The day I arrived we put the weeping tile in. Then we covered it with gravel - which was behind the garage - about as far from the trench as it could be. I lost count of the number of bags of gravel I dumped into that trench. For the last 4 days I have spent at least 4 hours a day shoveling the dirt back in. That sounds easy except that they have clay here and it has rained every second day - more rain then they saw all summer. This turned the top 6 inches of the mountains to heavy, wet compacted clay (it feels like cement) You have to break open the clay shell dig under the mountain through the dry as dust stuff and make the top crumble down by jumping on it. Did I say it was heavy?
We have 12 feet left as of today. I intend to have that foundation closed before I leave on Friday.
Could I have done it 6 months ago? No way.
I hurt but I am still functioning, I am functioning well enough that after working outside I chauffeur the parents to appointments, shop with my sister and make dinner and lunch for the old folks.
Mind you once I hit the sack I am out like a light (after the ibuprofen kicks in)
Oh and I forgot - we also fixed the porch roof.
Have to go now it is 6pm and we have to swing by Home Depot to pick up supplies so we can finish the roof and fix the stairs tomorrow.
Kind of what you call a working vacation.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal