My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

AEIOMed
1%
DeVilbiss
5%
Fisher and Paykel
6%
Invacare
1%
Puritan Bennett
7%
Resmed
47%
Respironics
33%

Total votes: 193

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:33 am

I used a Resmed Spirit S7 for a month before getting my 420E and I seriously cannot see any difference in the noise level. It is different but not louder. And I don't think the pressure sensor tube has any affect on the noise level.

onlyme

Post by onlyme » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:52 pm

I think I may be the only one on this forum using the DeVilbiss AutoAdjust Lt. The software is easy to use. I have the 8094, but I think their new 9054 has oximeter capabilities. (The AALT sure beats the cheapo straight cpap I got from the DME).
Also use the Humidaire humidifier. The on/off switch is on the right-front side and the control dial is top-front. Now, if only the AALT also had an on/off switch up front...but no, it's on the back.
DeVilbiss online is Sunrise Medical.

gailzee

Re: My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

Post by gailzee » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:48 pm

As alluded to, the 420E is the only machine I have experience with, iso t'd get my vote. The new H2O htd humidifier , while good in size, runs out of water too easily even on a low setting of >2. need funnel to fill. Can't tell if it's on/off, and light is small. As they say, other than that it's fine. Controls in the rear are small and can't be seen by the bedside. Poor design of controls.

But now we come to masks, nasal pillows, etc. FIX THEM, INVENT SOMETHING, PLEASE NOW..........is that clear enuf for the mftrs? We need better, more comfortable, less intrusive delivery interfaces.

Get some of the drug co. /DME group $$ and fund a studyon better delivery systems. EDUCATE THE DME"s on plusses of AUTOPAP, versus the same old straight CPAP mantra we get bombarded with. . Sign up this board, you'd have lots of takers for a study on interfaces.

I have the mirage swift, I love the NIKE logo on my cheeks for hours the next morning.

Other than that, my apap world if fine!!

Howdy,

Millions and millions of dollars have been spent trying to court your favor. Who is winning?

These results will be shown to executives of the companies being voted on - which should spice things up a bit.

Please vote and more importantly, please comment. These comments are something we can print out and hand the executive wondering if our little community is just a group or a new movement, demanding a choice in CPAP treatment.

I urge you to send a clear message and vote!

Johnny[/quote]

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:13 pm

Ah, yes, the Nike emblem on your face in the morning. Do mask designers not realize that people sleep on their sides with these things and that equals pressure against the skin and the straps and/or mask? Do they not understand that it would truly be nice if they came up with something that would distribute this pressure so youWOULDN"T have morning alien symbols on your cheeks, forehead or chin?

I've personally tried tempurpedic foam (didn't work because it compressed too much and the mark was still left), cotton padding (that worked but made the straps too tight and had a bulky uncomfortable feeling during the night). I've thought about getting one of the cap styles with the two strap contacts and seeing if I can jury-rig something that way, might cut down on all the hair loss I'm getting from the strap movement during the night, too.

I'm wondering if the Swift wouldn't work nearly as good with just a simply line, kind of like a glasses safety cord that you could put behind your neck and tighten there as needed to keep it from totally falling off.

snoozin'

Post by snoozin' » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:34 am

I just recently got the RemStar auto w/c-flex, and really like it. It's very easy to use, the software is understandable, and the c-flex feature, while probably not NEEDED, give that little extra "comfort level". Before I got this, I had a straight PB 420G cpap. I thought that was really great too. I love the small size, and will probably continue to use that one for traveling - at least when it's just for a night or two.
I really wish I could try a few of the other machines, though, but can't afford it right now.
Debbie

felineperson3

Goof!!

Post by felineperson3 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:57 pm

I goofed on the poll and hit Resmed instead of Respironics--Tsk, TsK!!! Naturally, the poll won't let me change my vote--just like in a real election, I suppose-- Oh well, I'm not sure I'm qualified to vote anyway since the RemStar Auto is the only CPAP that I have used and cannot do a comparison. However, I do like mine and see no reason to try another brand although I would like having a second machine just for a back-up. Even if I could afford buying a second one it would still probably be a RemStar Auto.
Thanks to all of you for being there and offering your help as needed.
Carley Image
"If God has brought me to it, He will bring me through it"--

sharonokc

Post by sharonokc » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:56 pm

I currently have a fisher paykel 4420 . I have had it 3 months now. It is slightly quieter, definately lighter, and smaller than my respironics RemStar choice. It has an integrated humidifier, which my Remstar didn't. But I think I still like my Remstar best. I used it for 14 years with only 1 hitch. After 1 flight my pressure setting was changed. It had a remote control, which made turning it on and off easier. It came on if the electricity went off. My new Fisher Paykel may give me similar excellent results, but I already have a few problems with it. The humidifier chamber is too small. I miss being able to turn my humidifier heater on to heat before I turned my cpap on.

Jayjonbeach

Post by Jayjonbeach » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm

I voted Resmed even though I disagree with their "protection" policies, which are really just protecting themselves, I'll call it greed not allowing the sale of used equipment, ridiculous.

I do find their masks and machines to be the best designed on the market for ease of use, available info, durability (lets not talk about those pathetic slimline & Climateline hoses however) and tech advances; though smaller and quieter, sure those things would be welcomed for sure. (I find the S9 fairly quiet though).

Tired of being tired for 20 years running, hoping this is the answer...

paulw

Post by paulw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

I have a Respironics System One Auto and Devilbiss Intellipap Auto. I like the therapy I get from both and I'm glad I don't have to chose between them.
I voted for Devilbiss because I think it has the better easily available software package - Smartlink vs Encore Viewer. Encore Pro has more features still, but I can't go buy it.

Big S

Post by Big S » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 pm

I've been lucky enough to have two machines in my short journey. I expect that I'll have a third before long so I can start to really tailor my therapy. My first machine was a PRS1 and with it, I struggled to get more than a couple hours of sleep at a time and had to combine segments to meet compliance requirements. Even though strongly motivated, this machine made me contemplate closeting the effort altogether. The machine itself was quiet but I heard the c-flex sounds coming up the hose and I constantly tried to exhale quickly to keep up with what I was hearing. My wife also heard this and complained of trying to keep up with the whirring that was so intrusive in our little anechoic bedroom chamber. This caused a lot of anxiety and trouble falling asleep. I also hated hunting down those filters that seemed like a last minute addition. The slightest back pressure from a cough or sneeze would send them sledding across the floor, usually under a nightstand or bed. At the very least, PR could have supplied a matching rubber band to hold them in place since the ones I could find made it look like a shoe box with copies of last months bills. Since I desired humidity at lower mask temperatures, I wanted to try the S9. I was able to get one and was amazed at how quiet it was when using it for the first time. I slept 10.2 hours. It was the best sleep I have had in 25 years. I haven't thought about compliance since.
My desires when looking at machines include:
1) Total design integration. This means all components must work in harmony and component interfaces defined at least in specifications. 2) More robust design to increase expected time between failure modes of any kind (especially hoses, geesh!). I never thought about having a backup when I started. Now, I cannot imagine not having one - disgraceful really. 3) Larger humidifier options or more environment control (within mask, of course) without having to try after we buy. When I had the PRS1, I measured the temperature of the humidity tank, the temperature of the air coming out of the machine, the temperature of the air coming out of the hose, the humidity of the air coming out of the machine and the humidity of the air coming out of the hose. I did this for every setting available of the machine because I wasn't satisfied with what I was feeling in the mask. I wanted some control from somewhere. The variability in the measurements were not acceptable, in fact, it motivated me to look elsewhere to remedy the situation. The only setting that worked with any consistency was the passover setting of zero. Of course, I was always bone dry and honestly thought my teeth were going to fall out with use of this humidifier. 4) Hard case or more padding in soft cases with appropriate markings on outside of case and more thought to hose protection. 5) Software with the purchase for crying out loud! Come on, this should be a no brainer. 6) Education and tutorials for appropriate use of software and machine. Another no brainer. Durable medical equipment used for therapy at home and little to no training and instruction provided? I personally think this is unforgiveable. The people on this site are the oasis in the desert but they have to be found (when starting). Youtube served the function for me initially and was invaluable. Give it up before we have to go looking. 7) Give me another foot of hose length without charging me another $50.
This whole therapy option often seems like a joke the way equipment and adjustments are handled. Without a site like this, I think most would throw up their hands in frustration and disillusionment.

sleepyb

Post by sleepyb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:01 am

I use the PR S1 APAP. So, I haven't tried the Resmed S9 or the intellipap auto both of which I was interested in but the DME doesn't sell. So, the next machine I will buy (my backup?) (hopefully in February) won't be another Respironics PR S1. Not that it is a bad machine at all. I just have some issues with it and would like to try something maybe a little quieter? with a backlight? (Would be nice to have daily information instead of weekly where I have to use software and my computer to see why last night sucked?)
The PR S1 is 29db, the intellipap 26db (that's 1/2 as loud), and the S9 is 24db (even quieter).
In calling Resmed the other day I was really impressed. I had a question about a mask and they were very helpful. It turned out that I had the wrong size mask for the cushion and even though I had the mask for several months, they offered to exchange it for free. I didn't ask for that and wasn't expecting it. I already thought their masks were great. This was icing. Pushed me along way towards the S9 auto as my next machine. I'll definately keep using their masks.
But then there is the Intellipap. I really like what I've read about it. I like that it's small and I can get software easilly for it (unlike resmed) It is 1/2 the price. No power brick and it has a DC power input. There's a bunch of different smartflex settings. (I get to play). Did I mention it's 1/2 the price?
This will be a very tough decission.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:56 am

This is an old poll (2005). Two of these machines are no longer made and the others have really changed a lot.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:56 am

Hawthorne wrote:This is an old poll (2005). Two of these machines are no longer made and the others have really changed a lot.
So how in hell does it end up so high on the queue after almost six(!) years?

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 am

How did it end up so high in the queue??

Someone saw it while browsing the forum and responded. I'm not sure they noticed how old it was. That's why I reminded people of that.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Suetois

Post by Suetois » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:53 am

I like the comfort of my Resperonics machine. I just wish it could show me my nightly AHI and leak numbers (not just major leaks) on the screen so I could tell if what I'm going is making a difference. I know there's software out there, but I gather it's for PCs. I think I'd have an easier time deciding what needs to be changed if I had just a little more information. As it is, if I weren't determined to make this work, I think I would have given up by now because waiting a month to get the card downloads from my doctor is just too long.

Sue