My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

AEIOMed
1%
DeVilbiss
5%
Fisher and Paykel
6%
Invacare
1%
Puritan Bennett
7%
Resmed
47%
Respironics
33%

Total votes: 193

Amigo

Re: My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

Post by Amigo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 am

Hawthorne wrote:How did it end up so high in the queue??

Someone saw it while browsing the forum and responded. I'm not sure they noticed how old it was. That's why I reminded people of that.
Duh...of course, I should have realized that.

The "culprit" appears to be Jayjonbeach, but then I think at one time or another all of us have failed to notice the timeliness of posts we respond to.

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 am

I started with a S8 Elite 2 CPAP, and now I'm on a S8 VPAP Auto 25. While I like the machines Resmed puts out, their data recovery needs alot of work. IMO, the machines should store at the very least, 2 weeks of Detailed data.

Cindy Lou Who

Re:

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 pm

I've only been at this 9 months, all with the same machine: ResMed's S9 Autoset. I voted for ResMed as I firmly insisted I have a fully data-capable machine. Patients have the right to see and review their data. They also have the right to be able to change the conditions (within reason) on their equipment for greater comfort, and to achieve optimal treatment!

I agree with rested gal on the points below. Because we don't use the same equipment I've edited her points as the S9 does have some of the things on her wish list.

rested gal wrote:Hard to choose. I chose ResMed (whose machines I've never had an opportunity to use yet) for two reasons:

1. The way they have pushed the envelope with the development of the Autoset CS 2 (in effect a combo Bi-Level/Auto)

2. Judging by the quality of their masks, I have a hunch ResMed puts that kind of quality into the manufacturing of their machines.

My dream machine would be a single auto with ALL these features:

b) built in (wireless) recording pulse oximetry.

c) heated humidifier that's easy to fill using a funnel, without removing the chamber.

f) a heated hose as the "standard" hose that comes with the machine.

g) a "Lite" version of the software geared to let the user download and see his/her overnight data without being able to change the pressure. No charge for the "Lite" software - would come packaged with every autopap.

h) a QUIET machine - no hint of motor sound changing when machine changes pressure with user breathing in/out. (This wish may be impossible....heh.)

i) have the small size and light weight of the 420E
I am concerned with the air filters in the ResMed S9. I can see through the "Standard" version, so use the hypo-allergenic filters.
It would facilitate easier and better cleaning if the S9's water tank came apart like the Respironic's M series. Got pink mold growing in mine because I couldn't get the inside dry each day while traveling!

This thread is a great idea....Thanks for asking!
Cindy

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:04 am

Interesting how the pendulum swings!

Respironics led in the original poll and now the Resmeds have taken the lead.

I wish I had paid more attention to how the other manufacturer's fared in the original poll as compared to how they are doing now. *sigh*

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:47 am

Good question. I darn near said I'm sure that Johnny Goodman did share them w/the manufacturers. Until I counted the results. Maybe he didn't, as the total number of responses was hardly worth the effort. I don't remember how many were from the original poll and how many are recent since the poll being dug up again - but - there appears to be ONLY 115 total responses in all this while. Not even a drop in the bucket given the number of registered members of the forum.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Banned

Post by Banned » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:06 am

The ResMed Enhanced Adapt SV is the only serious ASV for use in the home. Everyone should have an Adapt SV whether they need one, think they need one. or not. It is the 'Cadillac' of the ASV devices. It flat-ass does the job, no if, ands, or butts. So simple to use, any person with a basic knowledge of CPAP can self-titrate to this device in a few nights. It is also the only CPAP/Bi-Level/ASV device that will pretty much guarantee that you can get rid of your sleep doctor.

But, the Adapt SV is neither suitable (cumbersome proximal line) or small enough for a travel ASV.

The only ASV device suitable for travel is the Respironics BiPAP Auto (or enhanced) ASV. Solid and reliable, cranks up like a dream, anywhere, everytime. Especially in the friendly skies. The best part of using the the BiPAP Auto SV on-board is when the device is placed on the floor in front of you it also doubles as a foot rest. Take off your shoes and it keeps your feet warm. So you are sky high, sucking wind from a durable ASV, while keeping your feet elevated and warm. On battery power or plugged into aircraft AC, it doesn't get any better then this ASV for the long-haul!

if Respironics ever gets off their *&#^%, and releases the PR1-ASV, that may be the ultimate travel ASV. Sans the foot-rest and foot-warmer, of course.
AVAPS: PC AVAPS, EPAP 15, IPAP Min 19, IPAP Max 25, Vt 520ml, BPM 10, Ti 1.8sec, RT 2 (Garage)
BiPAP Auto SV: EPAP 9, IPAP Min 14, IPAP Max 25, BPM 10, Ti 2sec, RT 2 (Travel Machine)
VPAP Adapt SV: EEP 10.4, Min PS 4.4 (Every Day)
Mask: Quattro

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Might be an old topic, but Manufacturers would do well to bend an ear to what consumers are suggesting to improve equipment and therapy overall
There are some great ideas herein

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Some have probably died since registering here. I'm thinking CPAPers likely have a shorter average longevity than the general public.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:27 pm

AND ... MANY acheive success w/their CPAP therapy and move on. We see that all the time in "health" forums. People seek out the forums for information, advice w/difficulties, etc. and when they acheive success they visit the forum less and less and then not at all. Its called getting on w/life.

DeVilbiss Marketing

Post by DeVilbiss Marketing » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

We're taking notes!

1416conrad

Post by 1416conrad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 pm

I have REMstar Pro2 ( tank)
I like the way I can fill the Humidifier tank ON the machine.
I can pre heat the water.
There is no brick, only one wire to plug into the wall.
The lights go out when it comes on.
C Flex works fine for me.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Bless you, DeVilbissMarketing. I'm always glad to see you browsing and/or posting in the apnea support forums. And thank you and DeVilbiss for paying attention to our likes, dislikes and wish lists!!!

You know, I was concerned about how sturdy the PR S1's swivel hose attachment would be, especially for those who travel a lot. It sure seems to be holding up just fine so far and it is a brilliant and really convenient feature. DeVilbiss might want to keep that in mind.

I can't vouch for the Resmeds beyond the S8s but one of Resmed's greatest features has been the simple, easy access to and amount of data available to the patient via the LCD screen. I think they took a mighty step backward w/the S9s and their insulting little smiley face instead of a numerical leak rate. We want at least the nitty-gritty data: 90%-95% leak rate, 90%-95% pressure (on variable pressure PAPs), AHI and AI. I think the majority would prefer no power brick Respironics has long relied on and Resmed has resorted to w/their S9s and would prefer to NOT see the return of the Respironics "platform". A well-padded carry case for traveling W/ROOM FOR THE MASK would be desirable as well.

PST

Post by PST » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:42 am

1416conrad wrote: The lights go out when it comes on.
Wow! That baby must draw a lot of current. At worst mine dim a bit while the humidifier is heating.