My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

AEIOMed
1%
DeVilbiss
5%
Fisher and Paykel
6%
Invacare
1%
Puritan Bennett
7%
Resmed
47%
Respironics
33%

Total votes: 193

forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Howdy,

Millions and millions of dollars have been spent trying to court your favor. Who is winning?

These results will be shown to executives of the companies being voted on - which should spice things up a bit.

Please vote and more importantly, please comment. These comments are something we can print out and hand the executive wondering if our little community is just a group or a new movement, demanding a choice in CPAP treatment.

I urge you to send a clear message and vote!

Johnny
Last edited by forumadmin on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

derek

Vote:

Post by derek » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:43 pm

It's hard for many of us to have a "favorite" because we have such limited first-hand experience. In my case I've had two Respironics machines, one through cpap.com, and they seem to be well designed and constructed, but how can I say it's my favorite when I haven't tried the other brands?
derek

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:55 pm

I voted for xPuritan Bennettx. I love the xRespironics Auto with C-flexx, it's a great machine, but the PB420 series machines are amazingly simple, small, lightweight, low cost and at the same time technically advanced. They have set a new standard for what a xcpap/apap/bipapx can be.

Ignor the extra x's. I put them in to avoid the automatic URL conversion. crisp, disabling the BBcode did not help. derek, yes I did not intend to have my original post look like a bunch of BBcode jiberish.
Last edited by wading thru the muck! on Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

lynn

Post by lynn » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:10 pm

I have a Remstar Pro2 C-Flex with Humidification. I love the C-flex feature. However, it is just too large to lug around for travel, so the group here recommended the PB 420 as a great compact machine. Will PB offer anything similar to C-flex in the near future or does Respironics have a corner on that market?

lynn

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Hard to choose. I chose ResMed (whose machines I've never had an opportunity to use yet) for two reasons:

1. The way they have pushed the envelope with the development of the Autoset CS 2 (in effect a combo Bi-Level/Auto)

2. Judging by the quality of their masks, I have a hunch ResMed puts that kind of quality into the manufacturing of their machines.

Wish I could have voted for three at a time.

Puritan Bennett was ahead of their time with the size of their machines. Loved my 420E.

Respironics and their marvelous auto with c-flex is my current machine - I'm very happy with that comfort combo.

My dream machine would be a single auto with ALL these features:

a) operate as an auto at the same time it was giving a pressure drop relief on exhalation.

b) built in recording pulse oximetry.

c) heated humidifier that's easy to fill using a funnel, without removing the chamber.

d) heated humidifier with OPTION to have it turn on/off when machine is turned on/off - and with a humidifier on/off button on top of machine to override that feature at any time.

e) simple humidifier heat adjustment KNOB on the FRONT of the humidifier (not buttons to push, nor a hard to find knob.)

f) ability to plug humidifier power cord into the machine - not needing two outlets for machine and humidifier.

f) a heated hose as the "standard" hose that comes with the machine.

g) a "Lite" version of the software geared to let the user download and see his/her overnight data without being able to change the pressure. No charge for the "Lite" software - would come packaged with every autopap.

h) a QUIET machine - no hint of motor sound changing when machine changes pressure with user breathing in/out. (This wish may be impossible....heh.)

i) have the small size and light weight of the 420E

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:03 pm

I voted for the Puritan Bennet. If they can make such small machines why can't the others. With modern technology there is no reason that only one manufacturer should be considerate of size. Not only size making it convenient to travel (not to mention weight) but size on the nightstand. It's not like we all have nothing else there! Add a lamp, an alarm clock, a bedside telephone and you will see that size is also very important in the home.

I know the noise factor has come a long, long way even in the last few years, but even quieter would be a great bonus.

I do wish my PB had backlit buttons so if I have to hit one in the middle of the night I don't have to feel for it. A front readout would be nice too, for looking at in the middle of the night that would be lit by perhaps a top buttom kind of like the snooze alarm button on an alarm clock.

I agree with Rested Gal that all controls for humidifier should be at the front. This is one thing I had with the Fisher Paykel humidifier that didn't come with the new integrated heated humidifier for the PB. All controls are at the back. If it wasn't for the green light on the front I'd have no idea if the thing was on or not. And agree it needs to turn off automatically with the Xpap unit. This was originally advertised as plugging into the xpap but came out with its own electrical cord, requiring yet another plug. Do manufacturers think we have unlimited bedside plugs? (see above regarding lamp, alarm clock/radio, phone). If I have to adjust humidity during the night I don't want to have to turn on the light, get up and look to the back to adjust it. I want it right there in front of me available while I'm in bed without turning on the light.

In order to read my pressures during the night I've resorted to using a titled stand mirror that captures the image, although upsidedown, and then have to hit the far left button, one used for checking settings. It would be nice if there were perhaps some kind of built in popup readout for this that could be pushed in when not in use but be popped up for reading while in bed.

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:54 am

I'm using a RemStar/Plus (Respironic),and haven't used any other one.So,I really can't vote. I am doing fine with this machine.
But,am wondering about the autos,seems they are a favorite.
When the RT brought the machine to me,I wasn't told about any other machines that are available,I just thought that was the only machine around.
Have learned a lot since joining this forum.

Marie

sawman91660

Post by sawman91660 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:28 pm

I voted for respironic only because it is the only one I've used. I was lucky that the Remstar Auto was the machine supplied by my DME. I like the quietness of operation and the lighted controls. Since I don't travel, size is not important to me because I have a different place for the machine not on the night stand.

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:33 pm

I have only used the Respironics Pro w/cflex and really like the cflex feature. I only had it for a month or two before there were problems and it began blasting air and was unuseable.

Please ask the cpap equipment manufacturers why they do not accept responsibility if their equipment is defective. Is this true of all of them or only Respironics?

I was appalled after recently reading on one of the forums about a man who could not get help from his DME or Respironics due to a mold problem in his cpap machine. He ended up seriously ill in the hopital.

What about people who move to another part of the country or overseas? They don’t stand a chance unless they buy from cpap man.

I frequently receive a questionnaire from my automobile manufacturer asking me to rate the automobile dealer where I take my car for repair. The dealer fortunately is top notch and is motivated to do a good job.

This is medical equipment after all and people’s lives depend on their cpap machines. These manufacturers (if they are all guilty like Respironics) should be ashamed of themselves.

It looks like we need to make this appalling situation known to the media and our congressmen.

Thanks.

Yoga

Post by Yoga » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:21 pm

Rested Gal,

I especially like your idea of a lite version that would be user friendly with help available to users.

My DME has been in the business for some time and knows practically nothing about the capabilities of Respironics machines (which they sell) regarding downloading chart, graphs, etc.

Miko

Post by Miko » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:18 am

Since I have had so much difficulty with tolerating CPAP, I can honestly make some valid comparisons with the CPAPs.

As far as quiteness and size goes, I prefer the Respironics units. However, reliabilty is a very big issue. As many posters on the net can confirm, Respironics units have had many problems. I had three fail on me for different reasons during my entire trial.

The Resmed Autoset line is really great, but quite large and louder than the Respironcs. It has a great onboard display that you can view your overnight stats without having to upload the data to your PC or laptop.

The PB is a very nice overal compact unit, but it is louder than the other two. The 420E has an extra tube that likely vibrates and makes the hose vibrate or pulsate (for me anyway) which carries to the mask and can keep one awake.
Last edited by Miko on Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:31 pm

Greetings Miko,

The line running down the 420E tube is a pressure line sensor. It reads the pressure from down at the mask. It doesn't vibrate or pulsate.

The entire PB line of products are very good. Their little bilevel is an amazing little machine.

Regards,

Ted
cpap.com

RubyKat

Post by RubyKat » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:59 pm

Well, I voted for Puritan Bennett because their GoodKnight machines are light, small, and relatively quiet (I have a 420G). I haven't had a chance to try the Respironics Auto with C-Flex which everyone mentions as the "cadillac" of CPAP machines, so I couldn't really vote for them, but they probably deserve kudos too.
The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. (W. C. Fields)

1Hosehead

Re: My Favorite CPAP/BiPAP/APAP Machine Manufacturer Is?

Post by 1Hosehead » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:50 pm

If I'm going to sleep with a hurricane blowing up my nose it can at least be quiet and small and trouble free (so far) Puritan Bennett got my vote.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:04 pm

Titrator wrote:Greetings Miko,

The line running down the 420E tube is a pressure line sensor. It reads the pressure from down at the mask. It doesn't vibrate or pulsate.

The entire PB line of products are very good. Their little bilevel is an amazing little machine.

Regards,

Ted
cpap.com
Yes, it is a very novel approach using that extra line. It is suppose to be much more accurate in responding hypopneas. Too bad it comes with a price: more noise.