My Sinus problem cure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kazoo

My Sinus problem cure

Post by Kazoo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:28 am

I think I may be the King of Sinus Infections. It was during Sinus Surgery that they found my Sleep Apnea problem. After three difficult Sleep tests I ended up with a wonderful BiPAP machine. But fighting the machine with a plugged nose has been a challenge. I can't believe the high level of anti-biotics I have been on. Finally after the last failed prescription, I went back to the Allergy Doctor. He noticed I had Acid Reflux and said that was the problem. I told him I took the Purple Pill and didn't have any problem. He said that I really did have. Acid was laying in my throat and Sinus and probably was the cause of the congestion. Gave me the usual remedy. Elevate the head of the bed, no Caffein, no spicy food and no food or drink three hours before bedtime. Not even water. To tell the truth the only one that I have done so far is the no food and water. I can't believe what happened. The congestion is nearly gone and last night I slept 10 hrs with my nasal mask. Just throwing this out there in case it might help someone else. Ron

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:07 am

Hi Kazoo,

You were lucky to have a good allergist who spotted that.
Ever since reading about what was happening with another poster (loonlvr) on this message board, I firmly believe that unnoticed, undiagnosed, untreated, or undertreated acid reflux is interfering with a great many people's cpap treatment.

There's no telling how many have "Silent GERD" - no symptoms that they would connect with acid reflux. Or are being treated, as you are with the "purple pill", yet still have acid reflux to a degree that can make cpap use problematic.

Glad to hear that taking at least one step in the allergist's recommendations helped you!

Link to loonlvr's saga: Nov 05, 2005 subject: SUCCESS AT LAST-GERD,420E, PRILOSEC AND BENADRYL
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Kazoo

Post by Kazoo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:19 am

Rested Gal, you should change your name to Respected Gal. You post the most right on information on this board.

Alisha

Post by Alisha » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:30 am

Kazoo, I would like to second that and add Amen!
......The information provided in this post is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice......

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:37 am

You're both being much too kind. I'm wrong many, many times.

It was -SWS who got to the bottom of loonlvr's problem. -SWS and mikesus were the ones who made the correct call for loonlvr. I merely reported it. I'd have never thought of what they did. Thanks, anyway.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:32 am

Kazoo,

I am glad you are able to take such simple measures to make such a big difference in your congestion.

I will do the food and water. I have acid problems, not as bad as when I had a duodenal ulcer many many years ago. But enough to keep me awake or wake me up sometimes. (Sometimes even during the day.) I always have gavscon type heartburn meds OTC at home.

I have heard many talking about GERD, which was a new term for me, when I got to this board. I could not make the connection between CPAP and GERD. Your allergist explaing about acid laying in your throat and sinus paints a clearer picture for me. Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.

Rested gal, you are to modest. I agree with Kazoo and Alisha, you are a big help to me, and I am sure to many others. Even the lurkers.

You thoughful links are a real teaching tool.

Thanks for another great link.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Jere

Post by Jere » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:31 pm

Hey! What gives. I am the Great Kazoo.

"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

Kazoo

Post by Kazoo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:57 pm

You must be the Great one! Never heard of a Kazoo in Maryland.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:00 pm

But have you got a gal there?
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Kazoo

Post by Kazoo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:06 pm

Same one for 53 years.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:05 pm

One of most interesting posessions is a kazoo I received from a conference held there. (For those who don't know, Kalamazoo is often called 'Kazoo'.)

Congratulations on 53 years.

That is an accomplishment!

Click => Free Mammograms

bsil

Post by bsil » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:17 pm

I also had been struggling with GERD. When my MD told me to increase the Purple Pill (Nexium)to twice daily and it still wasn't helping, I realized that I needed to change my diet. I already wasn't eating after dinner. THe biggest change was to eliminate iced tea and all Coke/Diet Coke/ Pepsi...all brown pop. The MD told me how corrosive it is...will clean a copper penny!
I have added back 7-Up and seem to do OK with that. I mostly drink water now. I also purchased a wedge pillow at a medical supply store. That also helped when things got very bad. I have since shelved the pillow and only use it when I've had a late dinner. I'm back down to once a day Nexium and haven't needed the MYlanta in months!

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:34 pm

I had surgery for reflux/GERD, and still had problems. I thought I was allergic to all colas, but could drink any fruit-flavored pop (soda). Iced tea did not bother me, for some reason. Caffeine vs. decaffeinated made no difference.

My doctor increased my Protonix to twice a day and I've been able to drink colas now.

Interesting that we had similar experiences, isn't it?

Click => Free Mammograms

Kazoo

Post by Kazoo » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:02 pm

I never knew they gave you a kazoo when you came to a conference here. If you can hum, you can play it. I thought they just gave out those "Yes, there Really Is a Kalamazoo" buttons.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:36 pm

Hey, they didn't give ME a button!!!!! (But I'd rather have the kazoo--it is useful!)

Click => Free Mammograms