What kind of lotion to use for nares?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Roncon

What kind of lotion to use for nares?

Post by Roncon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:00 pm

Have had CPAP for 2 and one half weeks, using ResMed and Nasal Pillows which I am finally getting used to, but am wondering what to do about slightly sore (and slightly numb) end of the nose? What kind of lotion won't destroy the pillows?

I finally figured out CFlex (if all else fails, read the directions) and breathing is much easier. Ramp from 4 to 9. Didn't know I could sleep on my stomach with it.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:13 pm

Suggest Ayr Gel, available at most pharmacies. It is a saline gel.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:44 pm

Gerald suggests lanolin, available at the breastfeeding sections of stores.

Here is a link to a thread with his posting:

Link to Lanolin for Nares

Ayr gel isn't my top choice because it has an odor of roses, and seems cold.

I had an infection when I started and had been given a nasal ointment to treat that, so I used it to good effect. Now I need nothing.

Way to go on getting the machine to work. Those manuals can be marvelous, can they not? Also, frustrating.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:50 pm

At Snoredog's suggestion, I used Ayr's saline gel with Aloe and it got rid of sorness within 36 hours. The aloe version does have a mild lemony odor which I actually liked.

- r
Last edited by DreamStalker on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:52 pm

I never noticed an odor with ayr gel, but chapstick works well too. Chapstick also seems to help the pillows 'stick' to the nares a bit better.

Brenda

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:21 pm

DreamStalker wrote:At Snoredog's suggestion, I used Ayr's saline gel with Aloe and it got rid of sorness within 36 hours. The aloe version does have a mild lemony odor which I actually liked.

- r
That's the kind I thought smelled "rosy"--go figure!

Missy

Post by Missy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:39 pm

My tried and true remedy: Chapstick. Just a thin film. Hope this helps!

jnickellrental

Ouch

Post by jnickellrental » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:19 pm

I tried chapstick and awoke with the prongs almost glued to the inside of my nose - it was rather painful to remove!

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:30 pm

ok, I'm noticing a trend. That most of the people who responded to this post, use the CL2. hmmm....I still love this mask anyway. I use AYR saline gel every night before bed and never wake up with any problems. I had to learn the hard way, though.
~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:29 pm

Hmm, Karen, maybe the inside of your nostrils just naturally smells like roses?

mtsarpilot

Post by mtsarpilot » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:51 pm

My sister is a Respiratory Therapist and runs the RT unit at an Atlanta hospital. The moment I started on CPAP she told me to use Ayr nightly. They use CPAP on neo-natal ICU patients (babies) to help improve breathing, and they use Ayr along with it. They also tell adults to use it if they are going on CPAP as it will help keep the sinuses a little more moist through the treatment and helps avoid problems after long term use. Good enough for me, I use Ayr nightly.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:14 pm

The lanolin for breastfeeding mothers is still doing an excellent job for me.....especially after I did further modifications on my CL-2. I'm sorry that I can't remember the name of the forum member who showed us a picture of what he'd done......but, he used fishing line to pull back the pillows into better alignment with his nares. Someone else suggested garbage bag ties...and that's what I went with....the wire ties that have a paper covering over them.

The only deficiency I see on the CL-2 is its lack of easy adjustment for the angle of pillow-to-nare fit. Once I get the angle just right (by using garbage ties).....and lube up with lanolin......leaks are almost nonexistant for me....the seal is great....no pain.....no redness in the morning.....really nice.....and I've got the softest nose anyone could ask for!

My next project will be to attach a chin strap to the CL-2 to prevent the few leaks I'm experiencing through my mouth.

Put a little thought into tweaking your mask.....don't be afraid to try. You can do it!......and the reward is comfortable sleep.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:36 pm

For people living where Ayr Gel is unobtainable, you can use KY Jelly, which worked fine for my in first months of using the Breeze.

Both were recommended by Resmed reps for the Swift, in a chat on another board.

O.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:54 pm

CollegeGirl wrote:Hmm, Karen, maybe the inside of your nostrils just naturally smells like roses?
Hey, CG! If only; although it may have something to do with my Flonase. I notice that if I back off for a day or two, I sometimes smell a burnt odor until I build back up. I also cannot smell as well if I do use it regularly as prescribed. However, compared to unpredictable sudden nosebleeds, I'll take those problems and just not use the Ayr. Dang! I like the smell of citrus, and I'm not allergic to it (usually).

Gerald:

I use the fishing line fix, the pantyhose strap, and velcro on my CL 2.

Here is your fishing line posting:

Fishing Line Fix
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Missy

Post by Missy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:27 am

jnickellrental-I said a thin film of chapstick, not the whole tube