Hybrid Nasal Leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:52 pm

Your sign on name is KingsX and you say you have a large nose-is it possible the large pillows are not large enough? Contact the Hybrid maker and see what they have to say.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

KingsX

Post by KingsX » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:17 pm

krousseau wrote:Your sign on name is KingsX and you say you have a large nose-is it possible the large pillows are not large enough? Contact the Hybrid maker and see what they have to say.

Thanks krousseau, King's X is a band and are my favorite band As far as my big nose I believe that the large pillows are OK, I believe I have a positioning issue, I can move the pillows around with my fingers and by holding my fingers against the edges of the pillows, I can stop the leaks. Unfortunately I cant sleep all night with my fingers holding the pillows. I am hoping that experimenting with rubber bands or thread etc may allow me to find the proper positioning that I am not getting without overtightening the straps. If I continue to have the issues I will contact Inomed.

Thanks,
Chuck

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:51 pm

The last band I knew about was Glenn Miller Well not quite-but almost.
Good luck with the rubber bands.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

kidknits

another trick

Post by kidknits » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:55 pm

I posted the same question awhile back.... I cut my pillows apart and use different sized pillows. Also, someone suggested this- when you are putting your mask on, stretch your upper lip down far over your teeth, get the mask "set" and then release it. Somehow this seems to get the pillows seated better.

I also contacted the manufacturer about the problem. Her reply was:

"We suggest trying these actions in this order:

1. Confirm that the pillows are assembled at the correct angles:

a. (picture)

2. Try the pillows in the Tall Position per the instructions and the video on the product CD.

3. Try all size pillows. If the pillow is too small, the pillow may slip out of the nose. If the pillow is too large, the back edge of the pillow may hit the upper lip and force the pillow out of the nose.

4. Make sure that the upper seal of the cushion in on the upper lip, not the mouth. This ensures that the pillows start closer to the nose.

5. Tighten the Over-the-Head Strap of the Headgear."

Good luck!

roster

Post by roster » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:55 pm

KingsX wrote:
krousseau wrote:..........................

I believe that the large pillows are OK, I believe I have a positioning issue, I can move the pillows around with my fingers and by holding my fingers against the edges of the pillows, I can stop the leaks.

Thanks,
Chuck
I have been using the Hybrid (without chin flap) since August 12 and after the first few days of adjustments and learning, I am rarely having problems with leaks.

I suggest you try tightening the two top side straps. I find that the bottom two side straps mainly control the part of the mask below the mouth and the top two side straps mainly control the part of the mask above the mouth and the pillows. All four of these straps need to be "snug" in my experience.

The top strap provides some additional upward stability to the whole rig but I find it works well if left adjusted "a little bit less than snug".

Oh well, at least that's what's working fine for me. There should be enough sizes of masks and pillows and enough possibilities of adjustment with the five straps that rubber bands or thread on the pillows is not necessary.

BTW, once I had the head gear adjusted properly I am only having to make readjustments about once per week. This seems to be because the straps are stretching or maybe the velcro slips a little. I have the original headgear and while I have no complaints about it, I am afraid it would fall apart if I washed it. (Don't tell my wife; she would probably kick me out of bed if she knew the headgear never gets cleaned).

It is a great mask, I hope you find the right adjustments soon.

rooster

Last edited by roster on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingsX

Post by KingsX » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:38 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I wound up working until after midnight and was simply too tired to fool with it last night and just resorted to using my other mask. I will try all the suggestions tonight and report back the results.

Thanks,
Chuck

Arizona-Willie

Pillow leaks

Post by Arizona-Willie » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:09 pm

I have managed to get a pretty decent result but my pillows seem to leak where they are attached to the chin part of the mask.

I can often hear the hissing and if I put my fingers by the pillows I feel air coming up around the left one especially.

What is the best way to insert / adjust the pillows?

I have them on the high setting. Last night I used a medium and a large.

Again my numbers were very high but I don't feel too bad.

KingsX

Post by KingsX » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Here are a couple of photos that show how the rubber band should be attached to the hybrid to help prevent Nasal Pillow Leaks. MARYB_ I SINCERELY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO TAKE THESE PICTURES!!!!!

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:18 am

your welcome, KingsX and thanks to you for posting them.
I hope this fix will work for you.
By the way, you can adjust the tilt of the pillows by adjusting where you rest the rubber band on the pillows. Last night I had one piece of the rubber band down against the bottom rung of the pillows and I hooked the other piece across the front of the shell above the vent holes. And that's what worked for me last night.

Maryb

Datona*

Post by Datona* » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:11 pm

the question was for you to cut the pillows apart. that way, you can change the angle and get a more custom fit against your nare.

KingsX

Post by KingsX » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Actually, Removing the piece between the pillows seems to have cured my problems. I tried the rubber bands but the angle apparently wasn't my problem. Last night I cut out the piece between the pillows, which allowed the pillows to move and they sealed right up in my nose and didn't leak a single time all night. I woke up and immediately blocked the vent ports (with my finger) and was happy to hear silence.

I do have to say that my nose was quiet sore this morning but the seal worked great and the mask wasn't overtightened. If I can keep this seal working all the time, I will be a huge hybrid fan.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Chuck

Datona*

Post by Datona* » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:41 pm

This is a fantastic mask. you have to watch the video that came with it because it shows all the little tricks to make it work for anyone.

Guest in CA

Post by Guest in CA » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:56 pm

The Hybrid MADE cpap for me!! My sleep study was January 2005. I am just now compliant, with the Hybrid. I love how I feel now. And the great feeling was immediate. (also the dreaming-wowser!)

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:49 pm

KingsX (Chuck)--
glad to hear that cutting the attachment between the two pillows worked for you!
That's one of the things that I did right away. That way you can put different size pillows in your nostrils too, if you want to. I also noticed that my Breeze pillows fit the hybrid if I want to use them.

Maryb

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:51 pm

ERK! Sorry.
That "guest" was me. I forgot to log in.

Maryb