Hybrid Nasal Leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tooly125

Post by tooly125 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:14 pm

KingsX wrote:I do have to say that my nose was quiet sore this morning but the seal worked great and the mask wasn't overtightened. If I can keep this seal working all the time, I will be a huge hybrid fan.
Chuck,

The Hybrid is my fourth full face mask, I would have a difficult time if I ever had to switch back to the others.Definitely the best mask for me.

As for the sore nose, I had it real bad the first week felt like I was tearing the skin off my nose every time I took the mask off.
Don't worry your nose will toughen up I stuck with it and it just kept getting better.Now there is no pain at all.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body totally worn out and screaming,WOO HOO what a ride!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:43 pm

A littler ayr gel or chapstick works for the sore nares!

Brenda

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:13 pm

I had the sore nares when I first started too and was advised to use Ayr's Saline Gel. I was skeptical as I knew I was not into sleeping with goo on the end of my nose.

Man was I wrong, it took less thna two days for the sorenss to go away and now I almost always forget to use the gel and wake up with no soreness.

Yes they do seem to toughen up but the saline gel makes it a lot easier.

- roberto
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 pm

I belatedly found your cool "fix", Maryb. Very good idea for changing the angle of the Hybrid's nasal pillows with a simple rubber band. You're a good "lab rat!" You deserve this...

new2

Post by new2 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:46 am

Cutting the pillows apart (per video instructions) did it for me, too.
Also, I use the headgear from my flexfit 431.
I love this mask. Love it!
Can't wait for the upgrades coming (hopefully before first of year).
I can't use my new Elite, however, because it's so noisy!
I'm so dissapointed in Resmed, I could cry.

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:30 am

I cut the pillows apart as well.

It did not make a difference for the leaking, because they were not leaking before, BUT it made a big difference on the comfort for me around the nasal area and the tip of my nose.

I tried the large pillow and was surprised it gave a good seal. Out of habit I use lanolin on the pillows.

I found it better to do a final adjustment of the mask while laying down.

The only way I can wear the hybrid comfortably and without it moving off my face, is with an elbow connector at the end of the hybrid before the hose goes on.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

LinkC

Re: Hybrid Nasal Leaks

Post by LinkC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:00 pm

I broke down and tried the "rubber band" fix last night.

After fitting the band (much thinner than the one in the pics!) I decided I've give the FULL test and put on the mask WITHOUT the benefit of "nipple grease" or "tights".

WOW! Same comfort, ZERO leaks, no "tights marks" on my cheeks and no bedtime ritual! Slip on the mask...turn off the lights.

Nice work, Maryb!!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Hey LinkC, I'm glad you posted. This is pretty much the same fix I use but with small hair scrunchies! Never saw these images...woulda saved me some time fiddling around trying to come up with an ideal fix when I switched to the Hybrid summer of '09. Good ideas come around again & again

Gonna bookmark the images.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

frustrated

Post by frustrated » Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 am

Hello everyone, I've looked at all of the suggestions and I still can't get this mask to stop leaking! Is it just me or is anyone else just as frustrated. I have tried the rubber bands, cutting the little connector, and even tightening it up to where it's painful. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I don't think I have any different nose shape as anyone else (I have a Greco-Roman nose). None of the sizes ever seem to stop the leaks.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed May 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Frustrated
Read Rosters thread on Taming the Hybrid and as he says....watch the video, watch the video.
If after you have tried all the fixes and suggestions, you may decide that the Hybrid is not for you. Every mask does not fit every face or work for everyone.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Wed May 30, 2012 7:24 pm

For me, it seems that getting the proper angle of the pillows in relation to my nostrils is my major problem. I'm constantly having to fiddle with the angle of the pillows. They can work perfectly for a couple of nights and then all of a sudden, leak constantly for no apparent reason. I tried the rubber band method but this seemed to push the pillows down to far - i have a fairly long face. I also find that that if i don't shave for a few days, i start getting minor leaks on my upper lip. Apart from this, the hybrid is still my favourite mask and the only one that has really worked for me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am

I need to pull out the old Hybrid, and give it a go again.
The posts don't seem long enough to anchor a rubber band, but maybe dental floss. . .
I like the idea about the 431 headgear; interchangeability! Who knew?
I'll try my 432 headgear. I think it's the same.