Resmed Policy Warning and Information

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
birdshell

Post by birdshell » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:27 pm

snoregirl wrote:Guess I will be trying that Comfort lite 2 when my swift pillows run out. I wonder how long they keep on the shelf before deteriorating since I will put in an order immediately for a few more.
Wonder if ResMed thinks that an expiration date is a good idea?

Much as I love my ResMed machine and humidifier--there are other, SMALLER options!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:10 pm

Vader wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
Paul B wrote:Too sad. But if someone insists on shooting themselves in the foot, there's no way to stop them.
A "Friend would hand them a Shotgun" Jim
I don't know about that.
Again, I'll cite Apple computer as an example. They seem to be doing great with all that price fixing of theirs. I've wondered if somehow that makes their products all the more desirable to some folks(certainly, not me). Maybe they're thinking "hey, it must be the best if they're charging double the price, I better get me one!"
Apple's Ipod is linked to the young, XPAP is linked to the older folks.
Older folks tend to see things according to need, not just Flash. I don't use Nike products either, I have no Designer clothing, nor would I want any.

I do have a MP3 player, by D-Link, 10 gig, three years old now, still works, and it cost a lot less than designer Ipods. But like my Tanks, It weights a couple of oz more. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:16 pm

[quote="Snoredog"]Thanks for the update Johnny.

I'm without insurance, have spent thousands on Resmed equipment, they won't get another dime from me.

Sure would like to know if anyone has tried the Mojo Full Face mask, because I'll be needing a replacement for my UMFF.

Sure wish Respironics would improve the quality of their FF (headgear, clips, possibly improving the headgear pivot), because I'd consider it.

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Vader

Post by Vader » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:22 pm

Goofproof wrote: Apple's Ipod is linked to the young, XPAP is linked to the older folks.
Older folks tend to see things according to need, not just Flash. Jim
That's what I'm saying. People will buy iPod because it's iPod.
As for us *oldies* , we don't have much of a choice of needing our xpap or not. If we got a ResMed mask(or machine) that does the job, we pay the price.
With masks, some of us are a bit fussy, but I know I'm not switching to a Respironics mask, just because of the stunt that ResMed pulled.

But IT STILL does SUCK....

Vader

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:53 pm

Vader wrote:With masks, some of us are a bit fussy, but I know I'm not switching to a Respironics mask, just because of the stunt that ResMed pulled.

I halfway agree with your first statement, except I AM willing to switch to a Respironics mask next time I need a new one. I will never pay another penny to Resmed. They can only take advantage of us if we let them. I won't let them.

I completely agree with your second statement. Resmed's decision to single out one specific segment of the cpap equipment-buying population and gouge them for 40% more money really does SUCK; especially given the fact it is the segment most likely comprised of individuals without insurance. Then, to add insult to injury, they're asking us to believe it was not a profit-motivated decision, but a step taken due to their overwhelming concern for the patient. Just how stupid do they think we are?

Resmed proves corporate greed is alive and well.

Brian Hinther

Post by Brian Hinther » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:06 pm

Rather than merely observing free market forces in action, I suggest we become active participants, by actively not buying ResMed products. It's perhaps the only effective way we have of providing them with feedback on their their new policy.

My previous UMFF was good, but I think I stepped up when I got the F&P FlexiFit 431, and I'm really looking forward to trying the 432 with their new seal.

With all the really good products to choose from, I don't think anyone needs to feel trapped into buying ResMed. I, for one, am willing to try a little harder--if necessary--to make other brands work. There's no way I want ResMed to think they made the right decision.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:19 pm

I know that some of this is on the part of ResMed. I am not sticking up for them, but have any of you thought about the insurance companies and Medicare causing some of this as well?

I have because the insurance companies and especially Medicare, are changing a lot of their policies. Not good either.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Severeena wrote: I know that some of this is on the part of ResMed. I am not sticking up for them, but have any of you thought about the insurance companies and Medicare causing some of this as well?

I have because the insurance companies and especially Medicare, are changing a lot of their policies. Not good either.
Were you also thinking about those who DON'T have insurance or Medicare? It will cost them more to purchase out-of-pocket. The others (so far) haven't indicated that they will follow suit.....this is just ResMed's policy (it was also their policy to not allow shipments out-of-country).

Again.....this has nothing to do with ResMed raising prices to increase their own profits.....this is raising the prices that the Internet sellers have to charge.....whether they want to or not.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Vader

Post by Vader » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Vader wrote:With masks, some of us are a bit fussy, but I know I'm not switching to a Respironics mask, just because of the stunt that ResMed pulled.

I halfway agree with your first statement, except I AM willing to switch to a Respironics mask next time I need a new one. I will never pay another penny to Resmed. They can only take advantage of us if we let them. I won't let them.

I completely agree with your second statement. Resmed's decision to single out one specific segment of the cpap equipment-buying population and gouge them for 40% more money really does SUCK; especially given the fact it is the segment most likely comprised of individuals without insurance. Then, to add insult to injury, they're asking us to believe it was not a profit-motivated decision, but a step taken due to their overwhelming concern for the patient. Just how stupid do they think we are?

Resmed proves corporate greed is alive and well.
Those are good points that you make, but unfortunately I've tried quite a few different masks-- and it seems the only two that I have liked out of a dozen or more, are the Ultra Mirage FF and the Mirage Activa.
So I REALLY wish the other guys--ESPECIALLY Respironics, would step up to the plate here, and come up with some great alternatives to the aforementioned favorites of mine.
This apnea therapy has been a hard enough struggle ( for me) without having to suffer with some other product that I don't like, just to teach those Resmed A.H.'s a lesson.

If something comparable comes along--I'm there!:evil:

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, resmed, mirage, activa, CPAP

Vader

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:44 pm

Wulfman wrote:Were you also thinking about those who DON'T have insurance or Medicare? It will cost them more to purchase out-of-pocket. The others (so far) haven't indicated that they will follow suit.....this is just ResMed's policy (it was also their policy to not allow shipments out-of-country).
Thank you for saying that, Den. It is, indeed, the uninsured who will be hit hardest.
Wulfman wrote:Again.....this has nothing to do with ResMed raising prices to increase their own profits.....this is raising the prices that the Internet sellers have to charge.....whether they want to or not.
True, resmed's policy isn't being implemented to put the 40%+ internet price hike dollars directly into resmed's coffers. The 40% hike dollars go to the internet stores, if people buy resmed products from them.

But I have a feeling resmed is doing this to increase their profits over the long haul. How better to win new customers in the brick-and-mortar DME business community?

"See, all you DME's? We (resmed) are working aggressively on YOUR behalf. We're trying to knock out internet sales of cpap equipment and send the cpap users back through your doors. We're doing this for YOU, ....you DME's...because YOU are our real customers. We're trying to make sure insurance companies and Medicare don't start eyeing the lower prices on the internet and cut back reimbursable rates. See how we're scratching your back even before it itches? Sooooo, how about scratching ours now and stock our machines/masks exclusively?"

There's method in resmed's madness, imho.

I truly do understand the dilemma of people who have found the only mask so far, that works for them, and it might happen to be made by resmed.

I echo Vader's statement:

" I REALLY wish the other guys--ESPECIALLY Respironics, would step up to the plate here, and come up with some great alternatives"
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:12 am

This is interesting. On the face of it Resmed are without doubt going to royally 'p' off an active & vocal community. To add to that they will 'p' off a significant number of on-line businesses who in reality are a sales outlet segment that surely can make a difference to Resmed's bottom line.

I can only guess that these are some of their motives ...

- as already suggested, adopting a market protecting approach like Apple has done with their iPod. That was a very good point (as made above).
Steve Jobs when he got back in control of Apple, killed all plans and activities that would have allowed Apple's OS to be run on clone boxes. Some of us at the time thought he was going to alienate the wider Apple community but time has proven that what he did has worked.

- I tend to think a company is only likely to be doing this clampdown on Internet sales if they believe they have new unique product(s) that will give them a decisive lead are paving the way to protect the DME community that will be their primary sales channels in opposition to 'discount' on-line outlets. Perhaps one way to explain - "DME's if you agree to sell our products we will protect you from discount outlets" - the more DMEs Resmed could sign up gives them the springboard to do a massive launch should they come to market with some new market-killer machine/mask (my guess). If Resmed did introduce a new 'market-winning' product or product set, it would explain to me just what they are doing now. They may even have a model with a price under all their competitors. Getting the DMEs onboard on the basis that Resmed will protect them, makes sense if you have something big for them.

- I don't believe Resmed are particularly interested in what we here think of them (clearly) from a business perspective we are only repeat business but that business is slow compared to if Resmed's research believes there is a significant growth spurt likely to be coming (as outlined, they be planning to create one either by a massive launch of a new 'leap forward' product set or because of some other data they may have access to regarding market potential)

The above is purely thinking aloud & may be quite off target. But, Resmed are cash rich and have had an outstanding 2 years of growth. That says to me they have clear plans for the next cycle & this move may well be part of that.

DSM

#2 RestedGal - just noticed your post above this one & it seems to me we are thinking along some similar lines.

Your point about protect 'brick and mortar DMEs is well taken.

D

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed, DME

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:08 am

I have some questions. Probably stupid ones, but I'm trying to understand this so bear with me.

Does anybody know if Resmed is now also charging the internet seller more to obtain their equipment? Or is this purely a move to appease their biggest clients (like Apria and Lincare)?

Since it is obvious the reimbursement rates aren't in line with the actual cost of the equipment, why doesn't somebody smell a rat and lower them?

Who can make the decision to lower reimbursement rates? Why haven't they done it already?

Is Apria (or whomever) reimbursed a specific percentage of the amount of the claim they submit based on the billing code of the item, or is there a fixed cap on the amount they will be reimbursed? Does this vary depending on your insurance company? If Apria is only reimbursed a portion of what they bill, do they then always?/sometimes?/never? get the remainder of that charge from the patient?

byront

Post by byront » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:29 am

I didn't buy an Apple Ipod precisely because of their stronghand retail policies and underhanded way of trying to corner/control the market. I bought a Creative Zen Vision M ( I like those M's ). I personally will be treating ResMed the same way. I would really like to try out the Mirage Activa - but won't. I find more comfort in knowing I am doing my part by not supporting careless underhanded greedy people like ResMed and the 'evil ones'. Unfortunately I believe that the vast majority of the cpap community are in the hands of the DME's long before they are aware of forums like this, and that is where ResMed has the advantage. If only we could get the word out to them first - I'm considering a bumper sticker ! --- BT

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:41 am

sleepyred wrote:
Isn't the breeze Puritan Bennett? Are they connected with Resmed?
D'OH! Okay, I was sleep deprived. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. The two masks that I still really want to try are the Breeze and the Swift. The Breeze is PB, but the Swift, of course, is ResMed.

One day I'll have a drawer full of interfaces (deconstructed and constructed) just like RG!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:16 am

I don’t agree with the Ipod analogy … people don’t need an Ipod to live. The ResMed pricing policy is however just another facet of unconscious corporate greed imbedded deeply within our government -- of the people, by the corporations, and for the stock holders (the wealthy). It is not good for the people (the vanishing middle class) and is extraordinarily unfortunate for the uninsured (the poor).

A common question asked of our government officials lately is … “had you known what you now know, would you have made the same decision?”. Well, a few of you may recall that my first couple of posts on this forum regarding which brand I should purchase made reference to the fact that my health was a higher priority over corporate morals and policies. Although that priority remains true, I was uninformed and under insurance/DME time constraints to make my decision. I can say that had I known what I have now learned from this forum regarding my specific OSA treatment needs, I would have gone with Respironics Remstar Auto C-Flex instead of the ResMed S8 Vantage. I will also acknowledge, as Chuck (GoofyUT) and others have stated on this forum, that -- which brand is the best choice for optimum health is dependent upon the specific OSA/SBD characteristics of each individual. It just so happens that for me, with my current understanding of this technology, a specific PAP machine brand would not likely make any difference in the treatment of my OSA or my financial/insurance costs.

The injustice and inequality of OSA treatment for those unfortunate to not have a PC, the skills or internet access, and/or the knowledge of the existence of this forum is very depressing.

- roberto

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.