why go to a autopap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TheWife

Post by TheWife » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:33 am

snoregirl wrote:$170 US is the price at CPAP.com. not $1000
The $170 is total for the card and reader
$1,000 (Canadian) is the price my husband's DME supplier said they would charge us to set us up with software, cables, reader etc.

I looked at his machine in the dark and didn't take a close enough look, just saw big words "RemStar" and "C-Flex", and a little card in the side. I'll have to check later today when I get home.

Of course, his mouth was leaking again this morning, so that's another problem we still have to deal with. Would the machine record these events, or figure out when/how often they were happening? Is this less likely to happen with an AutoPAP?

The PAPillow has helped with his neck problems a lot, and now he's able to sleep comfortably on his side again. It was $75 CDN, not covered by insurance; then we'll look at getting the Australian heated hose for $119 US. This sure is adding up

Theresa

WillCunningham

Post by WillCunningham » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:19 pm

The software does tracks leak rates. It will tell you that a leak occurred. That is handy information to have when trying to evaluate masks. I had a problem where my ComfortGel masks would start to leak over time. The leak crept in over time and I didn't notice it till I replaced the mask and suddenly felt rested again. The software lets me track the leak rates so I can nip any problems in the bud. It can give you a sense of the severity of the leak but specifics seem to be ellusive.

Auto mode is awesome for most people. I found it difficult to adjust to the changing pressures personally. I had my apneas's treated but the pressure changes disturbed my sleep instead. Auto's can be run in constant pressure mode like a normal cpap so the only reason to not get one is cost concerns. I still find auto mode very helpful to help me adjust my settings after my weight fluctates or if I start to wonder if my current pressure is accurate. I run in auto mode for a few nights and use the software to see what pressures it needed to prevent the apneas, then I switch back to non-auto mode with the new values.

I definately recomend the software and card reader, it will make diagnoising and tracking progress so much easier. I feel very comforted to have the information at my fingertips and am very glad it is available.

TheWife

Post by TheWife » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:36 pm

Thanks for the info. One more question. Are there different kinds of software to buy, or do you just buy the one that goes with your machine?

Theresa

cpapjack

Post by cpapjack » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:51 pm

TheWife wrote:Thanks for the info. One more question. Are there different kinds of software to buy, or do you just buy the one that goes with your machine?

Theresa
Yes, you buy the one made for your machine. for example, if you buy a ResMed amchine, you will need to buy the AutoScan software. Repsironics Encore Pro will not work and vice-versa.

TheWife

Post by TheWife » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:05 pm

cpapjack wrote:Yes, you buy the one made for your machine. for example, if you buy a ResMed amchine, you will need to buy the AutoScan software. Repsironics Encore Pro will not work and vice-versa.
Okay, thanks. That's good to know. One less decision to make, whatever machine we decide on, we just get the software that goes with it.

Theresa

cpapjack

Post by cpapjack » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:07 pm

TheWife wrote:Okay, thanks. That's good to know. One less decision to make, whatever machine we decide on, we just get the software that goes with it.

Theresa
You're welcome.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:30 pm

Definately don't give anyone $1000 for that software and card reader (Canadian or American).

You asked if Auto can help with leaks.

I believe that lower pressure means in general less chance of leakage from a mask. So it follows that if you spend a good bit of your sleep time at lower pressures (with an APAP) then you have less chance of leakage.

Really this depends on what the pressure is and how much it changed through the night.

Don't count on APAP to solve all leakage problems, you have to work at managing the mask (and mouth for nasal masks) to solve most of them.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:32 pm

On another subject. You want to make sure what brand of machine you will ultimately have (I seem to remember in one of your posts that you are not sure what to go with) before you buy software as it is unique to the manufacturer.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:47 pm

Respironics machines use Encore Pro software. Respironics machines are the only brand that have "C-Flex" in most of their models. C-Flex is a feature that drops the pressure somewhat when a person starts to exhale. C-Flex isn't a machine model name.

"Bi-Flex" is also a feature name for a similar extra bit of drop in pressure at the beginning of exhalation with Respironics' BiPAP machines.

It depends on which model of Respironics you get, as to whether the machine can record the kind of data that makes it worthwhile to get the Encore Pro software for your computer.

These machines won't give detailed data even if they have a smart card with them and even if you used Encore Pro software:

REMstar Plus (regular or "M")
REMstar Pro (unless it's the "M" series)
BiPAP Pro (unless it's the "M" series)
BiPAP Plus
There's no reason to spend money getting software for those machines because "compliance" (number of hours the machine is used) is about all those machines are capable of recording.

Respironics models that do give full data via the Smart Card and Encore Pro software are listed below. Version 1.6i of the software will work with all of them:

REMstar Pro 2
REMstar Auto
BiPAP Pro 2
BiPAP Auto
REMstar Pro M series
REMstar Auto M series
BiPAP Pro M series
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:29 pm

Ok..Will my mask work with any apap machine? I like resmed, even though my machine is basic, it is still nice and quiet and small. I am asking b/c I am trying to upgrade to apap possibly. But I need to know if all machines work with my mask, b/c as if you didn't all know...I love my mask. Also, with the Vantage, I notice the options are listed as: cpap, auto or epr. So, you can't use auto and epr. I like both features.

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Oh by the way...looking for recommendations on a machine. To be honest I'm not looking on spending extra $$ on software and all that I hear about. I will be happy to press the LCD menu and gather info.
~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:01 pm

Getting the data from the LCD screen isn't the same, more data is shown with the software. It all comes down to how much is you body worth to you, you have to live in it. Jim

Mines not worth much but I still have the software.... After all I'm supporting the medical profession here, they are even building on a addition on the three year building, just for me.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire