CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
purple

Re: CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

Post by purple » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:24 am

To be honest, in my first Sleep Study, in the lab, they had incorporated a microphone some place in the air line so I could carry on a conversation with techs without removing mask.

With my home machine I thought I could communicate with the mother ship with my Sleep Apnea mask-machine on. No wonder they never reply.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:44 am

If anyone has been listening to me, I'm sure they have died of boredom,
or at least jammed bamboo skewers through their eardrums,
due to my long-standing habit of whistling under my breath when I am under stress.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:43 pm

purple wrote:To be honest, in my first Sleep Study, in the lab, they had incorporated a microphone some place in the air line so I could carry on a conversation with techs without removing mask.
it's more likely that they just had a regular microphone nearby in an intercom.

a microphone in the airline would be horribly noisy from the air blowing over it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:28 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:
cnaumann wrote:Isn't the snore sensor a microphone?
what "snore sensor"?
the answer isn't yes, and technically, it can't be "no"
it's like asking me if my Ferrari is red...
From Wikipedia:
"A microphone, colloquially mic or mike is an acoustic-to-electric transducer or sensor that converts sound in air into an electrical signal."
thank you?

From Wikipedia:
"Snoring is the vibration of respiratory structures and the resulting sound, due to obstructed air movement during breathing while sleeping."

I can pull up semi random definitions from wikipedia too... what of it?
The original question was "Isn't the snore sensor a microphone?".
But, is that the same thing as a microphone being a sensor?
I've always wondered about the mechanism in the XPAPs that recorded snores.......because it seems that they get recorded regardless of how large of a leak a person may have (which generally shuts down other event recording).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Wulfman... wrote:The original question was "Isn't the snore sensor a microphone?".
But, is that the same thing as a microphone being a sensor?
I've always wondered about the mechanism in the XPAPs that recorded snores.......because it seems that they get recorded regardless of how large of a leak a person may have (which generally shuts down other event recording).
yes, that was, and the answer is that there IS no snore sensor.

the snore "sensor" is an algorithm that analyzes the minute fluctuations in the flow sensor data.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:56 pm

ThisOneSaysNo wrote:I have read with great interest your website.
Never have I seen so many sheeple gathered in one place defending a machine that sits by your bed WITH A TWO WAY MICROPHONE imbedded in it that is on 24/7/365.

A medical doctor told me that, with all the leads and sensors, a "sleep apnea" test was so designed that almost any reading could be read to produce a patient needing a CPAP. And the folks who do the study also get to determine if you need one, which they usually sell at a profit of course... or have stock in.

Don't believe me? Stick that chip in your laptop. The software to read the chip is FREE and DOWNLOADABLE. You can actually read where the CPAP is reaching out to its GUIDE to hook up with GPS and randomly transmit readings.

TALK ABOUT GOVERNMENT IN YOUR BEDROOM..... BUT THEN, MAYBE YOU ARE THE GOVERNMENT IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER.... YOUR SITE CERTAINLY SOUNDS LIKE AN ONGOING COMMERCIAL.

TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF, STOP SMOKING AND GROW UP.
I guess since you are on this site...you are one of the sheeple...You are also full of BS...One example...My son in law wants a CPAP to resolve his snoring problem. He has gone to two different sleep labs and both refused to recommend a unit. He actually went to Craigslist and bought a S9 Autoset and I helped him titrate it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:26 pm

What on earth is ThisOneSaysNo smoking?
Should we tell the Sheriff?
This sounds like some really bad weed.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:46 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:What on earth is ThisOneSaysNo smoking?
Should we tell the Sheriff?
This sounds like some really bad weed.
I was thinking maybe some tainted LSD.... bad trip! bad trip!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:56 pm

palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I looked again, but my XPAP doesn't have a TWO WAY microphone inside it. Just so I won't miss anything I hooked up me Astatic D-104 Eagle so I wouldn't miss anything, I can even hear a mouse chewing bubble gum in the kitchen.

I have six very good mikes here, but I've never had a two way one, I do have two way radios ten and 11 meters. Jim
time to up your inventory!
http://www.grainger.com/product/MOTOROL ... 1?$smthumb$

you've probably seen them clipped to cops epaulets, when they're talking into their shoulders... that's probably what the crazy person was saying is in the cpaps...
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:04 pm

palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I looked again, but my XPAP doesn't have a TWO WAY microphone inside it. Just so I won't miss anything I hooked up me Astatic D-104 Eagle so I wouldn't miss anything, I can even hear a mouse chewing bubble gum in the kitchen.

I have six very good mikes here, but I've never had a two way one, I do have two way radios ten and 11 meters. Jim
time to up your inventory!
http://www.grainger.com/product/MOTOROL ... 1?$smthumb$

you've probably seen them clipped to cops epaulets, when they're talking into their shoulders... that's probably what the crazy person was saying is in the cpaps...
Those are just one way mikes, one pin is two lead carrying voice, the other is two pin push to talk. Mine all use one connector w/4wires. Haven't hooked mine up for 10 years. Two of the 10 meter mobiles, have never been installed, I just modified and tested them and put them away. Caught the computer bug! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Goofproof wrote:Those are just one way mikes, one pin is two lead carrying voice, the other is two pin push to talk.
well, Granger has 'em listed as "Remote Speaker Microphone" so... maybe they're wrong?

and if you don't like that example, then how about the one at the local drive through order station, it's a speaker/microphone most likely.

cnaumann

Post by cnaumann » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Most speakers can be used as microphones, so the term "Two way microphone" isn't completely wrong.

Is it the flow sensor or pressure sensor that detects snoring, or are pressure and flow detected by the same sensor?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:45 pm

After searching, reading and saving numerous patent and other files, here's an excerpt from one of them which may sum up "something". But, may not be conclusive to some folks.

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2010/february/0216.pdf

The sensors and algorithms employed to calculate the appropriate pressure to be delivered vary across APAP devices. Numerous markers of upper airway collapse such as snoring, apnoeas / hypopnoeas, flow limitation and the forced oscillation technique have been utilized in devices.
Snoring is typically detected by analysing amplitude variation in the flow signal following band-pass filtering.

To me, the following is a contradiction. "Something" senses snoring and records it as such.
palerider wrote:yes, that was, and the answer is that there IS no snore sensor.

the snore "sensor" is an algorithm that analyzes the minute fluctuations in the flow sensor data.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Snoring is typically detected by analysing amplitude variation in the flow signal following band-pass filtering.

To me, the following is a contradiction. "Something" senses snoring and records it as such.
palerider wrote:yes, that was, and the answer is that there IS no snore sensor.

so, I'll just assume that you're having a bad day or something, since you just highlighted a passage from a report, that said what I did, then said what I'd stated was a contradiction.

"analyzing amplitude variation in the FLOW SIGNAL..." "analyzes the minute fluctuations in the flow sensor data"

not exactly the same wordings, but the exact same meaning.

kong

Post by kong » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:07 am

I understand the reasons for your concern. I agree with the others that the only way to cheat on the sleep study is to have it hooked up to someone other than you. I'd share my concerns with your doctor, if you haven't already. Most doctors want to help someone keep their job. Your doctor is likely to write a letter that will help you if the doctor believes that the doctor can justify writing such a letter.