CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:59 pm

trodello, this might help:

Click to go to that message board then do a "search" for Pillar and for TAP

Look especially for posts by PaulY and by Stoboy.

Also at that site, look down at the bottom right for the "Hop to" box. Scroll down to "Dental Sleep Medicine". Read the users comments. Possibly a dental appliance like the TAP and/or the Pillar Procedure might get your AHI moved down into a range that would be acceptable for a doctor to "ok" you.

You mentioned that you had to be ready to pass a physical soon. The TAP can take awhile during the adjustment phase, but the Pillar procedure will do whatever it's going to do within about six weeks, I think. I've not had either, but the people who are using either/both of those things are getting interesting results.

A dental device might be your best bet at this point.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:11 pm

Maybe you should not have told them you had sleep apnea.

Take the test and see what it reveals. If it indicates you have apnea worse than they will accept then you'll have to live with your decision to tell them.

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:14 am

When you said you had 68 apneas and hypopneas, was that total or per hour? If that's per hour, that is considered severe sleep apnea. If that's total, it's probably not too bad.

I've read posts here about the dental sleep device. It has helped people stay in the military and it is your only real hope.

Ambien won't help you with sleep apnea. It will only help you sleep.

And frankly, I've spent over ten years of my life with severe fatigue due to this condition. As far as I'm concerned, they are ten years lost. I've spent a ton of money trying cures that didn't help. If I didn't laugh, I'd cry. If the rest of us can have a sense of humor to help us get through, so can you.

trod

The Cheater returns.

Post by trod » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:02 am

Well, I guess you all told me, huh? Feel better? Thanks to Rested gal, chrisp, mikesus and sleepy guy for some really helpful ( and thoughtful) answers. I'll look into those things.
For the rest of you who think I may not be taking this serious, DON'T BELIEVE IT! I was diagnosed 9 years ago, and after some fitful years on low-grade (military-provided) CPAPs, I was convinced by a doctor that he could cure my OSA through surgery. I had my throat carved out in a UPPP, removing my Uvula, tonsils and part of my soft palate. I also had a genial advancement, where they cut a section of my chin out and pulled it forward so my tongue would not fall so far back when I slept. And I had a Hyoidal advancement, where my hyoid was disconnected and then reconnected lower, in the vicinity of my "adam's apple". It literally cured me for about 4 months. Now I have a permanently raspy voice, Pressure on my adams apple all the time, a glass jaw, because it feels like the chin bone never mended, despite a permanently installed 17mm long titanium screw in my chin, and I choke on water and whatever else I don't concentrate on as it works its way down my throat. Only then did the next doctor tell me that the surgery doesn't work. Too late for me. I've had three sleep studies, so I know what they're like. Yes boys, I am serious about this. But I'm just as serious about feeding my family, not to mention helping protect our sons and daughters stationed in harms way.

To sleepyguy, the 68 events were a total number, not per hour.

You're all right, I should've kept my mouth shut about the apnea. No secret there. And I'm not looking to FAKE anything. But anyone who knows anything at all knows that you can have good days, and you can have bad days. I thought maybe someone could help me set myself up for a good day (or night).

Look folks, I don't want this to be a place that I hate. And I don't want to be jumped on every time I say something. And I'm not looking for new enemies. I came to this forum for information, because I am in a fix, and I need help. I could just as easily find another forum. I am tired of being tired, just like you all, but I also need to work. I'm not stopping the CPAP. And I'm not downplaying the importance of it, much less the seriousness of our condition. I just want to get through this one test. That's all.

Liam1965

Re: The Cheater returns.

Post by Liam1965 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:56 am

trod wrote:Look folks, I don't want this to be a place that I hate. And I don't want to be jumped on every time I say something. And I'm not looking for new enemies. I came to this forum for information, because I am in a fix, and I need help. I could just as easily find another forum. I am tired of being tired, just like you all, but I also need to work. I'm not stopping the CPAP. And I'm not downplaying the importance of it, much less the seriousness of our condition. I just want to get through this one test. That's all.
One thing about Apnea of which you are clearly well aware: It can make you really irritable, not sleeping.

I logged in and saw you dismissing one of our major coping mechanisms somewhat aggressively, and I was irritable from days of missed sleep (and from some major crap that went down at work yesterday), and I reacted in kind.

I understand you need to feed your family, and I'm sorry I went off on you to that extent. However, I stand by the stuff I said about the humor. This is a really crappy disease we all have, and it has a pretty serious downer effect on your mood, and sometimes a few well timed bad jokes help everyone through the trials of their condition.

Liam, who could REALLY use a good laugh right about now.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:56 am

wading thru the muck! wrote:If you have an AHI of less than 15 and no other related symptoms you would not even need to be considered for treatment. If they are requiring a sleep study there are things you can do to give yourself a better chance. Sleep on your side. Don't drink alcohol prior to the study. Wear a dental device that shifts your jaw forward to help elongate your breathing passages.

trodello 1,

This was the first reply to your original post (from me). Seems to address the exact info you are asking for. I understand that you are deeply concerned about your situation, but you are not making any friends here by criticizing our attempts at keeping the conversation light. Take the useful information from the posts, have a chuckle at the humor and keep your fingers crossed that you will make it through the screening process. We'll all be rooting for you.
Last edited by wading thru the muck! on Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:11 am

over how many hours were the 68 events?

Give you an example:

68 / 10 hrs would give you a AHI of 6.8 Not bad at all

68 / 4 hrs would give you an AHI of 17 (I think over 15 is mild, but don't quote me)

68 / 2 hrs would give you an AHI of 34 (Moderate to Severe)

So the number of events requires the number of hours to make it a useful number...

I am sure that there are more experts that could go into a lot more detail than I, but that is my take on it...

trodello 1

apology

Post by trodello 1 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:07 pm

I thank you all for the information, and I apologize for getting uptight over the humerous reponses to my situation. I appreciate the kind words. I guess I let my own irritability get the best of me. I travel a lot, (I'm on the road right now) so I don't have the answers to mikesus' questions, but I'll get back to you tomorrow when I get home and break open my records.

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:05 pm

Good luck with the sleep test.

That aside, since the surgery has failed, you will need to work at sleeping with a CPAP. Read the messages here on masks. There may be some helpful hints that make it easier for you to cope.

Thanks for the information on your surgery. I've been struggling with the CPAP and I will try to avoid throat surgery if at all possible. Nose surgery is still a possibility for opening my nasal passages.

ginnykreg

Re: CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

Post by ginnykreg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:35 am

since you are already using a CPAP machine, talk with your doctor and dentist about being fitted for a Thornton oral appliance. It is a device placed in your mouth and gently pullls the bottom jaw forward repositioning in the tongue and opening the airway. This has been an acceptable alternative for
deployed soldiers who may not have access to power sources for their CPAP MAchines

fergie2759

Post by fergie2759 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:11 pm

do a home study type of sleep apnea ......but you lay down do not go asleep just lay and watch TV all night ...........

fergie2759

Post by fergie2759 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:18 pm

trodello wrote:Is this possible? I have mild to moderate OSA, and I need to pass a physical soon. My job may depend on it. Is there a way to make the readings more favorable?
well a friend just did the home study type of apnea and passed it.........all he did was lay in bed and watch TV all night with the stuff he had to put on ..and did not go to sleep ..........he pass it....... .

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:28 pm

I think the forum is coming apart... sinking to a new (or not so new) low with this kind of stuff. I'm starting to think there should be a separate place for unregistered people with dumb one liners who never come back but leave this kind of thing on here for posterity. Maybe I'll be back in a couple of hrs to get rid of this note myself, but the forum's no longer what it used to be, it's all about the S9, and unbalanced weekend trolls... just sad.

todd2968

Post by todd2968 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:37 pm

I would keep trying Dr.'s try ones that offer dental treatments vice the cpap they are out there. If a cpap is no deployable, what about a mouth guard. Keep in mind you can still use your cpap when you deploy but that's not the point the dr has to believe in his product enough to write you a letter that say you don't need the machine.
I would also consult dod HR about losing your job due to a disability that you told them about upon hire.
Good luck

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 am

As others have already said, there's no real way to cheat the study, but you may be able to get slightly better results by sleeping on your side and taking a decongestant. No alcohol or sleep aid. If you are on testosterone replacement therapy, consider stopping a month or ideally more before the study. Eat lean meat and veggies only (no bread) the day of the study (in case you have food sensitivities, that you are unaware of). The dental appliance suggestion is also a very good one, assuming that you have time to procure one.

Good luck.