CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cnaumann

Re: CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

Post by cnaumann » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:24 pm

There are certainly patents out there that use a pressure transducer to detect snoring. Here is one by ResMed.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6705315
There are several others patents by resmed including one that compare the 'sounds' of inspiration and expiration to detect snoring.

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/ ... escription

Any pressure transducer that has a bandwidth above about 20Hz could be considered a microphone. In instrumentation, we use the term microphone and pressure transducer somewhat interchangeably.

I don't think you can make the claim that no CPAP machine has a microphone in it, even if you have torn a few apart.

It appears that the frequencies of interest for snoring area around 10Hz. This is generally too low to make out speech.

However, if the 10Hz filtering is done digitally it is quite possible that the CPU/DSP has access to much higher-bandwidth data.

I don't think my CPAP machine is spying on me, but I can not say that it is impossible to spy on someone with a CPAP machine. All of the hardware, the means to install the firmware, and the means to upload the data may be there.

Didn't Pugsy claim that her dog was setting off her snore detector?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 pm

well, why don't you pop yours open, and look up the specs of the pressure sensor, and see how grounded your hypothesis is.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

novatom

Re: Re:

Post by novatom » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:41 pm

49er wrote:
novatom wrote:
chrisp wrote: Any sleep aids or muscle relaxers or alcohol will cause untreated sleep apnea to become worse. Not what you are looking for I believe.
Really? Because during my sleep test and titration the clinic allowed me to take my prescription sleeping pill (30 mg Tamazepam). In fact, before my sleep test the clinic dr. recommended that I take it so I would be able to sleep. I guess the titration was OK because the SA was being treated at that point.

This is the first time I've ever heard this.
Interesting Novatom. Sleep doc did not want me to take Temazepam without being on the machine because of this concern. As a result, I took Ambien for the sleep study which she approved taking without anything and only slept a bleeping 2.5 hours.

For the titration, took the Temazepam and slept nearly 6 hours. Unfortunately, it makes me so groggy in the morning, I have to drink more than the usual amount of caffeine which kind of defeats the purpose. Anyway, I only take it on a PRN basis which is a whole other post.
I don't really remember the Dr's reasoning behind it but my hunch is that they are more interested in the physical aspects of my sleep activity rather than how I am affected chemically. Therefore he must think it's more important that I am actually able to sleep during the test. It may also be that he weighs the results taking into account the sleep aid as well.

Magan

Post by Magan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:20 pm

trodello wrote:Is this possible? I have mild to moderate OSA, and I need to pass a physical soon. My job may depend on it. Is there a way to make the readings more favorable?

Magan

Post by Magan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:28 pm

What is the easiest way to pass the sleep apnea test with the home test kit

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:33 pm

I wrote down the answers of the person taking the sleep test next to me.

If the question is serious I don't know what "pass" means, you want to have apnea or don't, and without knowing why you are asking wouldn't want to answer anyhow.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Magan wrote:What is the easiest way to pass the sleep apnea test with the home test kit
By "pass", do you actually mean "FAIL".......as in needing to get a CPAP machine to treat your apnea?

If not, why would you want to or think you can "rig" the test? If you have sleep apnea, you NEED to use the therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Wulfman... wrote:By "pass", do you actually mean "FAIL".......as in needing to get a CPAP machine to treat your apnea?
Exactly what I wondered. If that's what it means I totally understand. I was worried mine wouldn't be detected on the night of the study but oh was I wrong. I was a bit disappointed to see that whoever started this thread in 2005 appeared to have only one post, I was dying to learn why someone would not want their apnea to be detected.

Heart Jumping

Re:

Post by Heart Jumping » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Liam1965 wrote:You could always copy off of the guy in the bed next to yours.

Just be sure you don't get caught, or they might take away your hose.

And I think we all know how painful THAT can be.

Liam, who has NO idea what he's saying.
LOL! I hadn't read the thread, someone with the same joke as me....10 years earlier .

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:10 pm

I wonder how the OP made out. {{{Ten years ago}}}
Was he able to fake not having apnea?
Did he get the job, in spite of having a health condition precluding that job?
Was he found out and dismissed before someone was harmed?
Was his diagnosis correct? If positive, did he ever get therapy?
We may never know; but one can certainly guess . . .
Deceit and denial provide their own punishment.

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:00 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I wonder how the OP made out. {{{Ten years ago}}}
Was he able to fake not having apnea?
Did he get the job, in spite of having a health condition precluding that job?
Was he found out and dismissed before someone was harmed?
Was his diagnosis correct? If positive, did he ever get therapy?
We may never know; but one can certainly guess . . .
Deceit and denial provide their own punishment.
Out of curiosity I did a little Googling, thinking the only ones that would test for apnea would be the transportation industry or something really serious that is governmental. Sure enough, it looks like some in the trucking industry are testing for it. I can see both sides of this one.

http://www.truckingtruth.com/trucking_b ... witch-hunt

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Heart Jumping wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:By "pass", do you actually mean "FAIL".......as in needing to get a CPAP machine to treat your apnea?
Exactly what I wondered. If that's what it means I totally understand. I was worried mine wouldn't be detected on the night of the study but oh was I wrong. I was a bit disappointed to see that whoever started this thread in 2005 appeared to have only one post, I was dying to learn why someone would not want their apnea to be detected.
I was actually using my own experience in this scenario. On the night I had my split study, at the time the sleep lab tech came in after I had completed the first half without the machine, I asked her......."Did I pass?" She said......."Yep, you passed".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

snorebeard

Post by snorebeard » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 pm

Also, airline pilots. Not sure I would want you to fly my plane

Machine is System One Remstar Auto CPAP with A-Flex

conexn

Post by conexn » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:19 pm

If it is a home study like the one my doctor wants me to take, simply put it on someone else, that is what I am going to do, like my 12 year old son that sleeps very well. Problem solved, he gets a study, just not the one he wants.

The reason I do not want to take it because of what I want to do, become a pilot. Although you can still get a pilots lic with this condition it is much harder and you have to get all kinds of BS wavers. I mean the only reason he wants me to have the stupid thing is because I am over weight, and I get pissed off a lot, with what goes on in this world, who would not, at least anybody that cares what direction their country is heading, or the dumb drivers on the roads that cut you off, and damn near kill you. I do not snore unless I am like dead tired, I wake up refreshed, lots of energy, focus well, no other problems other than a bit over weight and tired of putting up with stupid people every single day, and the corruption in Washington.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Forget apnea altogether - I would not want to fly with you for 5 minutes, anywhere, anytime! You're a nasty, ignorant, crude person and I hope you never get your license!