CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:51 am

Curious how this therapy affects sleep (study).
bv1800 wrote: If you are on testosterone replacement therapy, consider stopping a month or ideally more before the study.
Or carbohydrates?

Personally I can see no advantage to cheating on a home sleep study. It is like lying to your doctor or lawyer. What is to gain and for who?
The sleep clinic gets money for nothin on your M-TV.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:11 am

The original posts are 10 years old.

bv1800

Post by bv1800 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:17 am

Guest wrote:Curious how this therapy affects sleep (study).
bv1800 wrote: If you are on testosterone replacement therapy, consider stopping a month or ideally more before the study.
Or carbohydrates?

Personally I can see no advantage to cheating on a home sleep study. It is like lying to your doctor or lawyer. What is to gain and for who?
The sleep clinic gets money for nothin on your M-TV.
I can't speak to the physiological aspects, but I can say that 1) my OSA was far worse when on TRT, 2) if you search this forum, you'll find threads where men reported pressure requirements decreasing 2-3 cm & 3) one of the warnings on the box of androgel & a warning in their commercials is that it may cause sleep probs or worsen existing probs. An google search will return 1,000's of reported cases where TRT resulted in worsening sleep.

As far as carbs are concerned, I've discovered that I have a sensitivity to wheat (even beer). If I consume any after, noon, I have to take a decongestant when I go to bed or my CPAP loses effectiveness & I snore (I don't snore at all without it). To your point, its not all carbs, so I probably should have just mentioned wheat.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 am

LSAT wrote:The original posts are 10 years old.
and I was replying to "todays post".

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Guest wrote:
Why do you assume that I was referring to you?

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

LSAT wrote:
Guest wrote:
Why do you assume that I was referring to you?
I didn't and don't assume. I was just pointing it out in case you had trouble following along.
Guest wrote:I was replying to "todays post".

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:56 pm

And his stupidity killed him, but he lives on in antique post limbo. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

what now

Re:

Post by what now » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:41 pm

I am taking a mandatory sleep study its for the dot they are using a device that straps to your wrist and probes on your fingertips I already took this test it said I stopped breathing 9 times I had a bad cold at that time they made me try to use the crap machine I cant sleep with this thing on my face I tryied 3different masks all kinds of setting changes I have lost sleep if I stay awake for this test will I pass

Wulfman...

Re: Re:

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:57 pm

what now wrote:I am taking a mandatory sleep study its for the dot they are using a device that straps to your wrist and probes on your fingertips I already took this test it said I stopped breathing 9 times I had a bad cold at that time they made me try to use the crap machine I cant sleep with this thing on my face I tryied 3different masks all kinds of setting changes I have lost sleep if I stay awake for this test will I pass
I would think you're going to fail miserably if you think you're going to "cheat" on your test. You need to figure out how to use your machine every night......cold or not. That's why we're here, to help people use their equipment. You need to register on the forum, list your equipment, including the settings. There are many ways these machines can be tweaked to provide optimum therapy and become second nature to the users. You haven't even scratched the surface yet. Try using the machine when you're watching TV or reading......or at other times when you're not in bed.

You need to figure out how to use it and make it comfortable and not whine about it.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:03 pm

The machines record results based on a sleep-breathing pattern, and it's very different from an awake one, so you couldn't cheat if you wanted to - never get away with it!
Last edited by Julie on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

It was a required DOT physical that found my Apnea. I didn't think I had a problem but many things have improved for me since I started 4 months ago. The best info you will get is get the test and use the machine. People will be here to help you do that.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Joshkins

Post by Joshkins » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:17 pm

many at home sleep study test now have left and right channel electrodes for your head that will be able to tell what stage of sleep you are in also.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 pm

If it saves a life, what is the downside?

ThisOneSaysNo

Post by ThisOneSaysNo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:46 pm

I have read with great interest your website.
Never have I seen so many sheeple gathered in one place defending a machine that sits by your bed WITH A TWO WAY MICROPHONE imbedded in it that is on 24/7/365.

A medical doctor told me that, with all the leads and sensors, a "sleep apnea" test was so designed that almost any reading could be read to produce a patient needing a CPAP. And the folks who do the study also get to determine if you need one, which they usually sell at a profit of course... or have stock in.

Don't believe me? Stick that chip in your laptop. The software to read the chip is FREE and DOWNLOADABLE. You can actually read where the CPAP is reaching out to its GUIDE to hook up with GPS and randomly transmit readings.

TALK ABOUT GOVERNMENT IN YOUR BEDROOM..... BUT THEN, MAYBE YOU ARE THE GOVERNMENT IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER.... YOUR SITE CERTAINLY SOUNDS LIKE AN ONGOING COMMERCIAL.

TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF, STOP SMOKING AND GROW UP.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:55 pm

ThisOneSaysNo wrote: TALK ABOUT GOVERNMENT IN YOUR BEDROOM..... BUT THEN, MAYBE YOU ARE THE GOVERNMENT IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER.... YOUR SITE CERTAINLY SOUNDS LIKE AN ONGOING COMMERCIAL.