Newbie - feeling miffed!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Noliro

Newbie - feeling miffed!

Post by Noliro » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:29 am

HI again, I had my first night with a machine using the ResMed S7 that is on loan. Also used the Standard Mirage mask.

I am miffed because the technician at Vitalaire really did not give me enough basics yesterday. She did fit the mask and set the machine but did not have me turn it on and off or put the mask on myself. So here I am at bedtime trying to figure out which way is up and which buttons to push. I probably messed up her settings doing it!

Then I woke in the night and what am I to do? How do I put the darn machine on pause? So I pushed a few buttons which did little and finally just took off the mask and let it send out air into the room while I went to the bathroom. Fortunately I had asked hubby to sleep in another room.

I also tried the Swift pillows and found it much noisier. However I would likely prefer pillows to mask as I sleep almost on my stomach with a piece of memory foam to support corner of head.

I found the air too warm and so had the humidifier control turned almost all the way down and was still too warm.

Also I was not told anything about cleaning. There is not a booklet in the bag of stuff. I feel that there is much I do not know and feel that the techie should have told me more and had me go through the steps. Perhaps I should have foreseen the problems and insisted.

So, is this what I should do?
1. fill the humidifier and put it on machine. Can heat be turned off but humidifier still on?
2. Push ON at back of machine
3. use flat bar towards left to start?
4. put on mask of pillows

I'd really appreciate any advice you have.

Ann

kteague

Not properly instructed

Post by kteague » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:05 am

It's hard to know what questions to ask until after you've tried it without enough instruction. If not too inconvenient, I'd take it back to them and say you need more training - actual "on the job" training where they walk you thru your use of the equipment as if you were going to bed and in other scenarios. Making sure the patient can use the equipment is supposedly why they charge so much, so don't feel bad. You're not expecting them to do extra - only what they're supposed to do. Ideally you could test masks for comfort and leaks with the machine on and you in the position you sleep in.

Now, if it's too much trouble for you to go back, the only warning that was drilled into my head was not to let even one drop of water go up into the machine. I was told to not move the machine with the filled humidifier attached but to always detach the humidifier.

Good luck. Hope your frustrations are in the past real soon and you're telling us how well rested you're feeling.

Kathy

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:29 am

Why not READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! If the DME company did not give you any of the instruction books, They can usually be found on eBay.

...or, if you fill out your profile, maybe someone on this forum, who has a
machine like yours, can help you.

..it's not rocket science, just a simple machine, with a few easy to operate
buttons, just a bit more difficult to operate than a microwave, but easier than a VCR..

People have more fun than anybody..

Noliro

Post by Noliro » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:38 am

Oldgearhead: I stated in my opening sentence what machine and mask I was using. I have not filled out the profile as this may be temporary...I will likely end up with a different machine and mask.

I would love to read the instructions but they did not give me a booklet to do so. I looked at the ResMed website and could not find any there.

I would appreciate anyone using the ResMed S7 to respond to my questions. I know it is not rocket science!

Ann

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:56 am

People have more fun than anybody..

Noliro

Post by Noliro » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:10 am

That seems to be the one but why should I buy a manual for a machine that is only on loan to me especially when it is not the one I expect to end up with?

Besides it will take time for it to be sent to me. I still maintain that Vitalaire should provide me with a manual or other instructions.

Thanks for looking it up however. I did not know that manuals were available there on Ebay. I ususally look to the manufacturer if I need one. It is good to know that Ebay is a source for manuals if I cannot find elsewhere.

Ann

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:18 am

Noliro, I don't think any new cpap user should be expected to have to go searching for the user's manual for their machine. The clinician manual would not be included, so a person would have to look elsewhere to get that...as in the link oldgearhead provided. However, the user's manual definitely should have been included in the bag with your machine, even if it's just a loaner machine or a rental.

But most of all, the person setting you up with machine and mask should have done exactly what kteague suggested. Should have spent the little bit of extra time to make sure you understood how to work the machine and humidifier. With a few minutes of OJT, as kteague said.

Good advice from kteague about being sure to empty the water out of the humidifier if you plan to go back to the DME for additional help.

As for cleaning... each person has their own routine that they feel comfortable doing. Personally, I just add more distilled water as needed to the humidifier. I don't discard the water from the night before. I just add more, up to the fill line (be careful not to add MORE above the fill line) and I don't "clean" the humidifier water chamber more often than every several months. Same with the air hose...I rinse it out every several months. Mask...I never take it apart to clean it. Ever. I simply use a soft cloth and mild soap/water to gently swipe the outside of the cushion or the nasal pillows where the silicone actually touches the face. Keeping the mask surface clean helps it seal better. Clean your face every night, at least where the mask will be touching it, to keep skin oils from interfering with a good seal.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:24 am

WOW, oldgearhead, your good at mean and nasty statements.
Are you trying to help or just part of the problem?

KimberlyinMN

Post by KimberlyinMN » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:05 pm

I was also told to not wear moisturizer to bed. That's probably the hardest thing for me out of everything to get used to. (How am I going to look younger if I can't wear the miracle stuff to bed??)

I was told to use regular Dawn as a soap to use for washing the mask. I just run some warm water in the sink and put just a teensy bit of the soap on my finger and swipe around the mask and forehead silocone parts and rinse it off.

Kimberly

Noliro

Post by Noliro » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks Everyone for the helpful suggestions. I think I will try another provider. Ann

sleepylady

Post by sleepylady » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:35 pm

Noliro,

You shouldn't have to search for the patient's manual as that is supposed to be sent home with you. I began with an S7 lightweight and it doesn't have a pause feature. If you get up in the middle of the night, you can either leave the machine running while you use the restroom (as I have done for almost a year) or you can turn the machine off.

I have found with my machine, that the water seems too warm if I have the machine plugged in. So I have an electrical strip where I can flip the switch to turn the power off to the machine and humidifier. When I get in bed I turn on that switch. This way when the humidifier really gets the water warm I'm asleep and then it doesn't bother me. You may want to try this.

I'm also a stomache sleeper and I use the Headrest (formerly Aura) nasal pillows. This is a great interface for stomache sleepers as the air vents up. I had one scary experience with the Swift when I burrowed my head into the pillow, thus cutting off the exhaust port. I woke to the feeling I was suffocating...not a fun experience.

As Rested gal, I don't dump out my water and just refill as needed. You can turn the dial down to 0...that may help.

Melinda

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:51 pm

Oldgearhead, that post did come out a little...abrupt. I doubt you meant it that way, but let's try to keep the atmosphere here one of helping each other, eh?

Noliro,

The others are right in that your technician should have spent more time with you, and that you should have been given a user's manual. Definitely try to get one from the place you bought your machine - they owe it to you.

As someone else already said, CPAPs don't have "pause" features. You have to either turn it off or leave it running. I prefer to turn it off - I feel that leaving it running night after night when I get up to use the restroom will, in the end, increase the hours put on my machine and wear it out faster. 6 minutes a night times 365 nights is 2190 minutes, or, roughly 36 hours per year. That just seems like a lot of "wasted air" to me. It's a personal preference thing, though.

Is your hose close to your head when you're wearing the swift? Sometimes the sound of air rushing past in the hose can create more "noise," and it's helpful to have the hose up and away from your head. (Boardies have lots of suggestions on how to do this, by the way - you can use the search feature at the top of this page and search for "scrunchie" if you want to see some). This also helps because you don't get the hose tangled around you.

You can indeed just use your humidifier without the heat. All you do is just leave it off instead of turning it on. This is known as "passover humidification." The air still picks up water droplets by passing over the water, but doesn't use heat. I don't like heated air, either, so I understand.

Also, don't blame yourself for not thinking to ask everything. CPAP can be very complicated, and there's a lot to learn. Anytime you have a question, feel free to come to this board and ask.

Take care, and welcome.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:17 pm

CollegeGirl wrote: "This is known as "passover humidification." The air still picks up water droplets by passing over the water, but doesn't use heat. I don't like heated air, either, so I understand.
I.ve been going one farther, I leave the water out too, no cleanup at all, acts as a muffler. In the winter, probably will need the distilled water again. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:26 pm

me too, Jim. But she asked if you could still use it, without the heat, so that's how I answered.

I have asthma, and nothing brings me closer to an asthma attack than hot, humid air. I like mine cold and dry(er).

FYRKRKR

Post by FYRKRKR » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:28 pm

I'd just like to add a comment (my opinion) about the moisturizers, as they are so important to our skin. As a cancer survivor, I'm not going to NOT moisturize and feed my skin. THAT'D BE STUPID, so I sure as heck ain't going to not moisturize because of a sleep disorder. So why should the other ladies and fine, handsome guys also suffer? Here's my take on it...

You can use a good face moisturizer as long as it isn't greasy nor does it leave a residue on your skin with a bunch of chemicals and oils that will get on your mask. That's what the equipment manufacturer is afraid of - it might spoil their "delicate parts."

If you use a quality product that is absorbed into your skin and allow enough time between preparing for bed and actually putting your mask (or whatever) on, then I figure I am fine. I do at least 20 minutes.

On the flip side, by NOT applying a moisturizer to your skin after washing, your skin will naturally start pumping oil out of your glands faster than you can imagine - which will do more harm to your skin and the equipment than any quality product ever could.