Extreme ongoing headache/pain!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Did you develop new headache after starting CPAP

Yes
12%
No
35%
Existing Headache Condition Improved
53%
Existing Headache Condition Worsened
No votes

Total votes: 17

FYRKRKR

Extreme ongoing headache/pain!

Post by FYRKRKR » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:19 am

We're talking extreme & bizarre...going on 3 months now. He wasn't a guy who normally got headaches until recently. Because I know ya'll ask... CT scan, MRI, Spinal tap, sinus smears, blood work all "normal" but my husband doesn't feel normal! He started CPAP 4-6 weeks before headache onset. Severe pain in left side of neck, jaw, behind ear, all over head, but mostly side and front. We've seen a bunch of great docs who are trying, but who knows. I'm researching weird things online that until 2 weeks I'd never heard of.

Anybody else?????
Thanks!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:52 am

there are some nerves that run in the area you outlined behind the ear. It could also be that the mask strap pressure is irritating a TMJ condition.

has your husband had a carotid ultrasound done?

kteague

Headaches

Post by kteague » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:10 am

Hi. I'm with Snoredog on some first-to-mind things to rule out. Has your husband changed headgear to see if pressure at different points begins to make a difference?

My mother has trigeminal neuralgia. (The web site below shows the trigeminal nerve pathways.) She would never be able to wear a facial mask as it would trigger severe pain. I don't know if this happens with all trigeminal neuralgia patients, but on the side of the face/head of Mom's pain her eye will water and her nose gets runny, while the other side is unaffected. Doc says it's caused by the nerve pain.
http://www.umanitoba.ca/cranial_nerves/ ... s.html#ptn

My only other thought is were those scans and tests of his head or did they include his neck? For 3 years I'd had every test in the books on my brain, till a new neurologist suggested checking the neck. Turns out I had bulging cervical discs so high up I was describing the pain as headaches.

Hope your husband gets relief soon. It's a good thing he's got you advocating for him.

Kathy

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:28 am

I'd say... see an ENT or a dentist and ask them to check for TMJ... that's what it sounds like to me

Julie

Extreme pain...

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:11 am

Yes - TMJ for sure!