SMALL LIGHTWEIGHT MACHINES, CPAP is Like a BALL and Chain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
proxcause

SMALL LIGHTWEIGHT MACHINES, CPAP is Like a BALL and Chain

Post by proxcause » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:22 pm

I use the resmed with a heated humidifier. It is becoming a regular ball and chain. Who makes the smallest lightest machine with a humidifier. Heated is not a requirement, I think passover technique should be fine. Please enlighten!!!!!!

Paul

Smallest CPAP

Post by Paul » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:37 pm

I use the Goodknight 420. It is tiny - like a box of tissues - and weights 1.5 pounds. You can attach any small passover humidifier to it.

Good luck Paul

rested gal

420G

Post by rested gal » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:14 pm

The Puritan Bennett Goodknight 420G is, as Paul said, a very small straight cpap machine that you can attach a separate humidifider to.

I have the same small size machine in an autopap - the PB Goodknight 420E. The separate humidifier I use with it is the Fisher and Paykel HC150 heated humidifier.

I'm not a doctor, but I'd suggest getting a heated humidifier even if you feel quite sure you don't need humidification or are pretty sure you'd be o.k. with just a cold passover type of humidifier. Why? Eventually you may buy a mask that will produce an air flow more drying to your nasal tissues or your throat. If there comes a time when you need to use a full face mask for mouth breathing (nose stopped up with a cold or allergy or sinus problem) you might be very glad that you have a heated humidifier you can switch on. When you don't need the extra humidity that warmer air can carry, just keep it turned off.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:23 am

You can learn more about the 420G Here:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/139

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:12 am

Is this machine really quiet?
What does "passover" humidifier mean. Is it used separate from the machine itself?

Thanks,
Judy

rested gal

passover humidifier

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:09 pm

JudyAnn, a "passover" humidifier means there is no heating element to warm the water. It's just water sitting in a chamber with the air flow from the machine passing over the water before the air flow continues on through the main hose to your mask. No heat for the water.

Air can't pick up much moisture from unheated water, so "passover" humidifiers are next to useless in my unprofessional opinion. I've heard unheated humidifiers called any of these things: "passover" or "passive" or "cold" humidifier.

I think there is one brand of "passover" (unheated) humidifier that is a little better than most passover types. It has a larger area. I think it's called an "Oasis". But the best by far for picking up moisture are heated humidifiers.

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:51 pm

RG,

Thanks for explaining this.
Another thing is I did not think you could add a different brand of humidifier to another brand of pap like you do. That's interesting.

I am learning a lot each day about all of this and its appreciated so much.

Judy

rested gal

adding different brand of humidifier...

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:08 pm

JudyAnn, I was only explaining what I've heard about "passover vs heated" humidifiers. I have no idea if you can use other brands of humidifers with all of the different brands of machines, especially if the machine has come with an "integrated humidifier." I suppose one can run a short hose from any machine to any brand of separate humidifier, but my experience is only with two machines:

My Puritan Bennett 420E autopap (my favorite) does not have an integrated humidifier. I use a separate Fisher and Paykel HC150 heated humidifier with that autopap. It has a short hose that goes from machine to humidifier. With that brand of autopap, yes, I could buy any brand of heated or cold passover humidifier that I wanted, and connect just fine.

My other autopap machine is the Respironics Remstar. It has an integrated heated humidifier. That works perfectly well, too.

My personal preference is for two units...the small 420E autopap that doesn't take up any more space on my nightstand than a couple of books stacked on each other. I can then set the separate heated humidifier (also small) anywhere I want it...down on the bottom shelf or on the floor. A short hose connects the two.

Either way is good - separate or integrated humidifier, but "heated" is the key. If a person doesn't need or want the warmer moisture, the heat can always be turned off.

Paul

Small machines and humidifiers

Post by Paul » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:52 pm

Hi Judy Ann

Humidification is up to everyone. Some people insist on heated humidification as the only comfortable way to do CPAP. Some people use passover. Some people use none.

I have never used heated - only passover. For the last month I have been using my CPAP without any humidifcation and I am fine. I have read other people on here who don't use any wither. Everyone is different and you need to work out your needs and what works for you. However, be aware that as you change from one setup to another you have have a little adjustment period.

If you are interested in the Goodknight 420 - I love it - Puritan Bennett, the maker, is supposed to be releasing an integrated heated humidifier to go with the machine very soon. I assume it will be nice and small like the machine - although I have not seen any images of it.

Good luck working out what will work best for you.

Paul

rested gal

humidification

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:22 pm

Hi Paul,

I agree that everyone is different and that many can do without heated humidification just fine. There have been a few nights when I forgot to turn the heater on and did ok. On the other end of the spectrum, there've been nights when I turned it up too high and didn't like the feeling of breathing "thick" air that was too warm, too heavy...uncomfortably warm even with no rain-out problem.

When I started out, I used a straight cpap for several months with no humidifier. I didn't suffer from the lack of humidification. Later when I got my 420E, I decided to give heated humidification a try. I found that I do like heated better than none, as long as I keep it down low. You're so right about everyone working out what they need. Machines, masks, humidification - preferences vary with each individual. It's nice that there are choices.

wading thru the muck!

CPAP ball & chain

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:57 am

Check out the October cpap.com news letter. The TINY! Goodnight CPAPs are goint to have a nice integrated heated humidifier (similar to the remstar) coming out in January

This looks like a fantastic combination.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:05 pm

Hey, who knows, 20 years from now, they might be the size of a credit card or maybe they will have a complete cure for this without surgery or equipment.

Oh, come on self, wake up from your dreaming.

Anyway, I'll be an old, old lady by then and still be looking for a better "mouse trap".

Judy

rested gal

small size

Post by rested gal » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:44 pm

LOL, JudyAnn...who knows? Let's keep dreaming!

In the "Interviews and Pre-release Product Information" forum of this site, I was reading some of the questions people have for the Puritan Bennett rep about the new Knightstar 425 Bi-pap coming out soon. One person asked, "Are these new machines (the 420 series) designed only for travel or are they a reliable option for use just at home?"

I'm not a rep - don't work in anything to do with the medical field or home health care. I'm just a "leaf blower" user like most others here. I do have experience using my favorite machine - the Puritan Bennett Goodknight 420E autopap. Mine has made a few trips (very easy to pack) but I really bought it to be my primary machine at home. It's such an amazing workhorse in a small package. Takes up soooo little space on the nightstand, and is so lightweight to carry in one hand when I take it to my computer desk to do a download of the highly detailed overnight data. The software it uses (bought separately if a person wants to monitor their own treatment) is great. The 420E hooks directly to my computer with just a cable. No "smart card" or "card reader" needed to see tons of data.

I also have a Respironics Remstar autopap with software and the required smart card/card reader...it's a fine machine too and gives me the same good therapy - but in a much bulkier, heavier package. I got the Remstar to use as a back-up machine if ever needed. Between those two machines and their software, the PB 420E autopap is my favorite. It does a great job for me at home or away.

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:42 pm

OK, fine by me. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am dreaming of getting an Auto Spirit w/software so I can take charge of my dreams and a few more masks along the way.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Judy

TerryFlower51

PB420 questions

Post by TerryFlower51 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:33 pm

Can I use the PBGK420E autopap w/out making use of the computer hookup stuff or is it necessary to do that so the machine runs properly?
I just want the simplest approach initially so I can get used to the machine.
Also, has anyone used the nasalaireII with their 420E? How does it compare w/Breeze nasal pillows? T