THIS MIGHT BE A SILLY QUESTION

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BOBBY

THIS MIGHT BE A SILLY QUESTION

Post by BOBBY » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:25 pm

I AM NEW TO CPAP,so i would like to know why do people use a hummidifier is it used to stop having a dry mouth and feeling thirsty all the time, BOBBY

Lana

Post by Lana » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:34 pm

Dear Bobby,
There is no silly question about cpap, we are all in this together. I didn't know importance of having humidifier until I started having nose bleeds. My DME company told me on my first visit humidifier is optional! Imagine that. After descovering this forum and reading posts about people who have humidifier I have called my DME and requested one. Surprise, they didn't have problem giving me one. My nose doesn't bleed anymore but my mouth is still dry. I think its because at some point during the night I probably open my mouth and breath thru it. Anyhow, to answer your question, humidifier makes breathing more comfortable, it warms the air we breath in and thus prevents "drying out". That is my experience and understanding. Maybe other people have different view on this?
Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe!

rested gal

heated humidification

Post by rested gal » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:12 am

Lana is so right about there being no such thing as a silly question in this therapy.

Most people do find that heated humidification makes using a cpap more comfortable. It's one thing to breathe room temperature or even cool air normally through your nose. It's quite another thing to have that air blowing under pressure, directed into your nose. IMHO, a heated humidifier ought to be "standard issue" with all machines. It can always be turned off if not needed, but most people do need at least some heated humidification to prevent their nasal passages from becoming too dried out. It's really a "must" for those who need to breathe through their mouths and use either a full face mask or an oral interface like the Oracle all the time, or who need a temporary mask switch for nights when their noses are too stuffy to breathe well with a nasal mask.

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:20 am

Lana and Rested Gal have said it all. I ditto their remarks.

Judy

Todzo

Re: THIS MIGHT BE A SILLY QUESTION

Post by Todzo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:25 am

BOBBY wrote:I AM NEW TO CPAP,so i would like to know why do people use a hummidifier is it used to stop having a dry mouth and feeling thirsty all the time, BOBBY
i think they noted that a lot of people complained of dry nose and/or mouth so someone suggested they use a humidifier and - bam
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 am

Todzo wrote:
BOBBY wrote:I AM NEW TO CPAP,so i would like to know why do people use a hummidifier is it used to stop having a dry mouth and feeling thirsty all the time, BOBBY
i think they noted that a lot of people complained of dry nose and/or mouth so someone suggested they use a humidifier and - bam
Replying to a 9 year old post????

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 pm

9 year old post! Lol,

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:29 am

Initially, I had the same reaction as LSAT.

But in thinking about it some more, this actually is a good topic for newbies and anyone else who wants a refresher course. Now personally, I wouldn't have responded to a 2004 post but what the heck?

49er

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:52 pm

No silly questions here as well.
The short and fat is that moving air dries wet things like your nasal and mouth tissues.
This is why we like to hang laundry out when there is a breeze--or turn on the dryer!
Heated humidifiers should NEVER be "optional"--that is what's truly silly!

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 am

chunkyfrog wrote:No silly questions here as well.
One thing that really appealed to me about this thread is simply the very much cooperative and pleasant environment. Helpful ways. Nice looking beautiful avatars. I hope we can get back to that.
chunkyfrog wrote:The short and fat is that moving air dries wet things like your nasal and mouth tissues.
This is why we like to hang laundry out when there is a breeze--or turn on the dryer!
true
chunkyfrog wrote:Heated humidifiers should NEVER be "optional"--that is what's truly silly!
so why is it that I live and sleep for all my life without a humidifier but when I use CPAP – bam – I need a humidifier?

Am I using more air?
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:51 pm

so why is it that I live and sleep for all my life without a humidifier but when I use CPAP – bam – I need a humidifier?
It's supply-side economics. Manufacturers started supplying humidifiers. The market responded to the supply with demand.

I never use a humidifier. But I do live in a subtropical climate. Air condition runs continuously for much of the year but still I don't need the humidifier.

At the urging of my doctor, I did use a humidifier years ago. Occasionally I would not put water in and go to bed without turning it on. Eventually realized I did just as well without it.

There are some reasons (besides supply) that drive users to use humidifiers. They have mask leaks or mouth leaks (nasal interface) and the additional airflow does cause drying that was not there pre-CPAP. Or they set the CPAP directly in the flow of a HVAC outlet and it causes drying that was not there before.

Then there is also the case that in dryer climates the air causes drying to a non-CPAPer.
Sheffey

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Todzo wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:No silly questions here as well.
One thing that really appealed to me about this thread is simply the very much cooperative and pleasant environment. Helpful ways. Nice looking beautiful avatars. I hope we can get back to that.
chunkyfrog wrote:The short and fat is that moving air dries wet things like your nasal and mouth tissues.
true
chunkyfrog wrote:Heated humidifiers should NEVER be "optional"--that is what's truly silly!

Am I using more air?
What I do know is that my average liters per minute of air used on CPAP were two liters per minute higher about three years ago.

With them being lower now I no longer need or use a humidifier.

I believe that working to breath at more reasonable levels day and night did indeed make the difference.

rkuntz123

Post by rkuntz123 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:20 pm

If you live in a northern clime relative humidity in your heated home can drop below 20% during the winter which will really dry you out if you don't use a Humidifier. Summer time or some place south with a relative humidity of 80% or higher and I doubt most of us would need humidification.

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Summer time or some place south with a relative humidity of 80% or higher and I doubt most of us would need humidification.
Our humidity level is 90-100% much of the year. If I spend a bit of time in the grocery store, when I come out my eyeglasses fog up.

But in the home the humidity stays around 50%. The A/C is running for much of the day and night.

Again, I am in a subtropical climate.

I believe if the indoor humidity fell below 40% or so, I might enjoy the humidifier.
Sheffey