cpap and dental decay

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Liam

Re: cpap and dental decay

Post by Liam » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:56 am

Its funny no one stops to think that it could be the air pressure forcing its way inside your teeth unnaturally. I don't think its from dry mouth or from grinding or from a mask being too tight, that's nonsense.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:23 am

Liam wrote:Its funny no one stops to think that it could be the air pressure forcing its way inside your teeth unnaturally.
noone considers that, simply because the pressure from any CPAP-device is not high enough to do such things! (and if air could be "forced into" your teeth you have a whole lot of different problems!)

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 am

I have been using Cpap for 23+ years and have had 2 cavities and 2 caps during that time. The thing to be aware of is the quality and honesty of your dentist.

Years ago I changed dentists when my wife's friends highly recommended a dentist. Prior to that, I had only one cavity in my life. The new dentist stated that I had 6 cavities. I visited my regular dentist shortly after and his checkup found no cavities! Never went back to Mr "Six Cavities". Then I moved away and tried four different dentists over a 18 year period and two cavities where filled by two different dentists. Each small cavity was on two different wisdom tooth's. I finally settled on a local dentist that seemed competent for 7 years. During that seven years he only filled one cavity on one of the wisdom teeth. I recently changed dental insurance and another local dentist was covered at a higher rate and seemed to be worth a try since she also was a professor teaching dentistry at a highly rated dental university. A cap fell off so I went to this new dentist and she re glued the cap. It didn't feel right and I figured I needed to give it some time to adjust to the cap again, since I had lived without the cap for 5 weeks. Within a month that re glued cap fell off again. I took the cap back to the same dentist and she re glued it again. This time it felt good right away and stayed on for a month. I thought I had found a new dentist. So I went back to her for a checkup and cleaning. She told me I had four cavities and she wanted to replace two caps. I told her I have never had that much dental work done in my entire life. She just shrugged and said "you don't have to do all of it". Guess what, that cap she re re glued fell off again within a week. I decided that was the last time I would see Mrs "Four Cavities & Two Caps". I waited six months and went back to my previous 7 year dentist. He told me I had no cavities and that all that was needed was to re glued that cap. He did have to modify the cap a little since I had waited six months to replace it and the surrounding teeth had crowded in a little. It has been four months now and that cap is still felling great. Be careful what dentist you let work on you. If I had stayed with Mr "Six Cavities" or Mrs. "Four Cavities & Two Caps" I'm pretty sure my teeth would be like Swiss Cheese now, holes everywhere, and they would be driving Cadillac's or BMW's.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 am

The dentist makes a HUGE difference.
I have had the same dentist for over 45 years, with the occasional detour due to insurance changes.
I am about to switch over to the dental college, reluctantly, because my last crown cost me over $900;
and Medicare does not see fit for seniors to chew, see, or hear.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Liam wrote:Its funny no one stops to think that it could be the air pressure forcing its way inside your teeth unnaturally. I don't think its from dry mouth or from grinding or from a mask being too tight, that's nonsense.
Yeah, NO.

The pressure is all around your teeth, so it's a net zero effect.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Liam wrote:Its funny no one stops to think that it could be the air pressure forcing its way inside your teeth unnaturally. I don't think its from dry mouth or from grinding or from a mask being too tight, that's nonsense.
Liam, this is very unlikely. Dry mouth is a major cause of cavities and is often caused by things OTHER than cpap - meds, diabetes, I'm sure there are others. Of course, sleeping with your mouth open can also cause issues. The amount of pressure from a cpap is simply too low to cause what you are describing. My dentist was diagnosed last year with both diabetes and sleep apnea, so we discuss a lot of that now at my visits (which are every 9 months unless I have a problem - our negotiation between every 6 months vs. 1 time per year).

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm

palerider wrote:The pressure is all around your teeth, so it's a net zero effect.
Oh, really?? Have you ever considered this??

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:23 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
palerider wrote:The pressure is all around your teeth, so it's a net zero effect.
Oh, really?? Have you ever considered this??

I can't say as I've ever had any mushroom clouds pop out of my teeth, no.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I don't think it funny, but to think its NOT from dry mouth, or from grinding, or from a mask being too tight, would be funny.

Point: Teeth are solid and sealed by enamel. Atmospheric Air Pressure is 14.7 lb per square inch at sea level avg. 10 cm of water pressure equal 0.142233 lb per square inch of pressure. So you are trying to tell us, 0.14 (10 cm) to 0.28 (20 cm) lb per inch more of pressure is destroying our teeth. despite teeth being solid and sealed.

Orville, I don't think that bike will fly! Jim

One more trip into the way back machine......
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm

You cannot argue with science--but some still try.
Think creation "science".
It would be comical if the idea wasn't so damn terrifying.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Well all i know is when i try to use cpap my teeth really hurt and feel like theyre rotting. And the first cpap machine i ever had must of been broken because it gave me a hiatus hernia and messed up my breathing to this day. 4 years later. Wish i never started using the thing, i only did because i had mild sleep apnea from my orthodontist who messed up my braces. This world just destroys.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Guest wrote:I have been using Cpap for 23+ years and have had 2 cavities and 2 caps during that time. The thing to be aware of is the quality and honesty of your dentist.

Years ago I changed dentists when my wife's friends highly recommended a dentist. Prior to that, I had only one cavity in my life. The new dentist stated that I had 6 cavities. I visited my regular dentist shortly after and his checkup found no cavities! Never went back to Mr "Six Cavities". Then I moved away and tried four different dentists over a 18 year period and two cavities where filled by two different dentists. Each small cavity was on two different wisdom tooth's. I finally settled on a local dentist that seemed competent for 7 years. During that seven years he only filled one cavity on one of the wisdom teeth. I recently changed dental insurance and another local dentist was covered at a higher rate and seemed to be worth a try since she also was a professor teaching dentistry at a highly rated dental university. A cap fell off so I went to this new dentist and she re glued the cap. It didn't feel right and I figured I needed to give it some time to adjust to the cap again, since I had lived without the cap for 5 weeks. Within a month that re glued cap fell off again. I took the cap back to the same dentist and she re glued it again. This time it felt good right away and stayed on for a month. I thought I had found a new dentist. So I went back to her for a checkup and cleaning. She told me I had four cavities and she wanted to replace two caps. I told her I have never had that much dental work done in my entire life. She just shrugged and said "you don't have to do all of it". Guess what, that cap she re re glued fell off again within a week. I decided that was the last time I would see Mrs "Four Cavities & Two Caps". I waited six months and went back to my previous 7 year dentist. He told me I had no cavities and that all that was needed was to re glued that cap. He did have to modify the cap a little since I had waited six months to replace it and the surrounding teeth had crowded in a little. It has been four months now and that cap is still felling great. Be careful what dentist you let work on you. If I had stayed with Mr "Six Cavities" or Mrs. "Four Cavities & Two Caps" I'm pretty sure my teeth would be like Swiss Cheese now, holes everywhere, and they would be driving Cadillac's or BMW's.
Riding the Way Back Machine, Again
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Liam wrote:Well all i know is when i try to use cpap my teeth really hurt and feel like theyre rotting. And the first cpap machine i ever had must of been broken because it gave me a hiatus hernia and messed up my breathing to this day. 4 years later. Wish i never started using the thing, i only did because i had mild sleep apnea from my orthodontist who messed up my braces. This world just destroys.
Almonds...Cashews...Pecans.....

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:04 pm

@Liam:
I am sorry you are experiencing these feelings.
Is there any way you can get help to get you past these impressions?
As mentioned before, your tooth pain is probably due to a poorly fitted mask.
Many of us suffer the consequences of ignorant (at the time) dental practices;
but most of those dentists are DEAD, and safe from litigation.
We just pick up the pieces, do the best we can, and proceed.
. . . "I cried because I had no shoes; but then I met a man with no feet."
Work on getting perspective--your health may depend on it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:@Liam:
I am sorry you are experiencing these feelings.
Is there any way you can get help to get you past these impressions?
As mentioned before, your tooth pain is probably due to a poorly fitted mask.
Or getting older.