Any tips for preparing to travel without a humudifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jpek

Re: Any tips for preparing to travel without a humudifier?

Post by jpek » Mon May 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Thank you for the advice, everybody. Rick thanks for the thorough water explanation . I didn't realize potable distilled water is a US thing. Wonder why. CapnLoki, what kind of filter and muffler? Those sound like car parts LOL?

By the way, I have some kind of build up on in my humidifier chamber anyway, even with distilled water. It's not visible, but it gets kind of slimy after a while, and it's hard to get off. I might try the vinegar solution.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 pm

jpek wrote:Thank you for the advice, everybody. Rick thanks for the thorough water explanation . I didn't realize potable distilled water is a US thing. Wonder why. CapnLoki, what kind of filter and muffler? Those sound like car parts LOL?

By the way, I have some kind of build up on in my humidifier chamber anyway, even with distilled water. It's not visible, but it gets kind of slimy after a while, and it's hard to get off. I might try the vinegar solution.

Warning, do not use "distilled water" from a gas station!

Post by Guest » Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 pm

jpek wrote:By the way, I have some kind of build up on in my humidifier chamber anyway, even with distilled water. It's not visible, but it gets kind of slimy after a while, and it's hard to get off.
Couple things to look at...
Read the label on the bottle - sometimes people end up buying what they think is "Distilled" but it's labeled "Spring", "Baby", or some other kind of water "in a bottle".
Also the water will trap particles that get by the filter, esp. when/if the filter is not in place for some reason. This will tend to grow a film on the bottom. When washing/rinsing/cleaning my chamber I always use "Distilled" and never tap. Despite what many think tap can contain bacteria as well as minerals which is what we are trying to (avoid) clean out.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Guest wrote:
jpek wrote:By the way, I have some kind of build up on in my humidifier chamber anyway, even with distilled water. It's not visible, but it gets kind of slimy after a while, and it's hard to get off.
Read the label on the bottle - sometimes people end up buying what they think is "Distilled" but it's labeled "Spring", "Baby", or some other kind of water "in a bottle".
Also the water will trap particles that get by the filter, esp. when/if the filter is not in place for some reason. This will tend to grow a film on the bottom. When washing/rinsing/cleaning my chamber I always use "Distilled" and never tap. Despite what many think tap can contain bacteria as well as minerals which is what we are trying to (avoid) clean out.

Clean it out with 50% vinegar solution, just like I suggested when distilled water is not available (earlier in this stream). If possible, put it on pre-heat.

jpek

Post by jpek » Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 pm

D.H. wrote:Clean it out with 50% vinegar solution, just like I suggested when distilled water is not available (earlier in this stream). If possible, put it on pre-heat.
Not sure what pre-heat is.

Are you suggesting the 50% vinegar solution should be cut with tap water or distilled?

Post by Guest » Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 pm

D H. wrote:
Guest wrote:

Clean it out with 50% vinegar solution, just like I suggested when distilled water is not available (earlier in this stream). If possible, put it on pre-heat.

jpek

Post by jpek » Wed May 24, 2017 3:48 am

For some reason this got posted higher up in the thread:

Are you suggesting the 50% vinegar solution should be cut with tap water or distilled?

jpek

Post by Guest » Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 am

jpek wrote:For some reason this got posted higher up in the thread:

jpek
When cleaning I use distilled for reasons mentioned above.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed May 24, 2017 10:39 am

Note that many xPAP machines have a pre-heat feature. This feature allows you to fill the tank a while before bedtime, and pre-heat the water in the tank so that it reaches the desired temperature by bedtime.

The Dreamstation (at least the better models) has this feature and it will keep the water warm for 30 minutes. My old Everest-3 CPAP (from 2009) had this feature and kept the water warm indefinitely .

P.S. Distilled water is preferred.

jpek

Post by jpek » Thu May 25, 2017 3:20 am

I see. Does preheat have some advantage for controlling buildup, or are you just mentioning it as a comfort thing?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 am

Comfort thing only.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu May 25, 2017 6:27 pm

jpek wrote:I see. Does preheat have some advantage for controlling buildup, or are you just mentioning it as a comfort thing?
Pre-heat is a comfort feature, but it is useful to use it when soaking the water tank in vinegar solution to clean (if you have the feature). If not, try soaking it cold and see if that removes the deposit.