Any tips for preparing to travel without a humudifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jpek

Any tips for preparing to travel without a humudifier?

Post by jpek » Mon May 22, 2017 4:15 am

I've been using an Auto CPAP for about two years now and in that time haven't traveled outside the US. But this year I'm planning a trip. I will take my CPAP but thinking about leaving the humidifier behind. Reason: it's lighter and less to pack, but mostly I'm not sure how easy it will be to buy distilled water where I'm going -- and I won't have a car to lug it home. I've never slept without a humidifier, and I'm not sure how to test if I'll be able to do it on a trip, especially taking climate and weather into account. Any advice anyone?

I did get an HME gadget (Heat Moisture Exchange). It's a little thing that fits between your mask and has a sponge that is supposed to trap the humidity of your own breath. I know that travel CPAP machines use it, but they're supposed to be universal. I have my doubts though. My Wisp mask has a fairly long (1 foot?, or longer) little tube that connects to the main tubing. The HME will have to sit at the end of that tube, where it joins the main tube. But that seems too far away from my face to capture moisture. Am curious if anyone has tried the HME with similar setups.

Julie

Re: Any tips for preparing to travel without a humudifier?

Post by Julie » Mon May 22, 2017 4:19 am

Don't worry abuot getting distilled water (but are you sure it's not available where you're going?) because many of us don't use it at times either. Tap water, unless it's known to be bad, can certainly be used short term (or even long term if you're prepared to clean your tank often) as the major problem is not that you need 'distilled' for you personally, but that the tank will become sludgy quickly. Just clean it when you get home.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 am

I would definitely take the humidifier if you are not used to CPAP without, especially if you're going somewhere with low humidity. Where are you going?

I use tap water all the time in the UK, I get a very small amount of limescale build up at the base of the tank, not enough to effect the humidifier from working. At some point I may use descaler if I cannot easily remove the limescale.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

jpek

Post by jpek » Mon May 22, 2017 5:06 am

I'm going to St. Petersburg, Russia. Definitely a high humidity place -- a former swamp. But cold in the winter. And the central heating might create a dry environment. Not sure yet what season I'm going in, fall or spring or winter.

I would practice first without a humidifier, but I still don't know how to predict how it will be THERE without a humidifier.

What a de-scaler?

jpek

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:19 am

jpek wrote:I'm going to St. Petersburg, Russia. Definitely a high humidity place -- a former swamp. But cold in the winter. And the central heating might create a dry environment. Not sure yet what season I'm going in, fall or spring or winter.

I would practice first without a humidifier, but I still don't know how to predict how it will be THERE without a humidifier.

What a de-scaler?

jpek
A descaler is something you would clean your kettle, steam iron, shower heads with to remove limescale. I find kilrock to be the best, you can buy in tablet form
which may be more convenient for traveling.

Kilrock Big K Multi-Purpose Descaler 400ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003FTJ9ZU/ ... izbW2VXW6Z

Edit: Not sure Kilrock do tablets but other brands do.

Last edited by Hannibal 2 on Mon May 22, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine!

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon May 22, 2017 5:23 am

Descaling may be overkill for the likely small amount of e.g. pink slime you might end up with and often just a Q-tip (rinsing well after use) is enough to get rid of it.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:28 am

Julie wrote:Descaling may be overkill for the likely small amount of e.g. pink slime you might end up with and often just a Q-tip (rinsing well after use) is enough to get rid of it.
Yes you're probably right Julie, I haven't needed to use descaler yet and if I did it would be purely asthetic I think, to get into the nooks and crannies.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 22, 2017 8:09 am

jpek wrote:I still don't know how to predict how it will be THERE without a humidifier.
The "There" is an unknown that you can't possibly factor in now. Something you just have to experience "there".
There's no way to know if the ambient humidity "there" is going to be sufficient to prevent any nasal issues that might result from not enough moisture by going without the humidifier.

Now you could try it at home when ambient humidity is really dry....to cover the worst case "dry" scenario and it might give you an idea as to what might happen if things were really dry.

I would at least plan on taking the humidifier...it's not taking up that much space and I wouldn't want to risk the trip being spoiled by having nasty nasal issues make me miserable because the nasal mucosa was unhappy with the humidity (whichever way it ends up being).
To me a trip like that would be a trip of a lifetime and I wouldn't want to risk making myself miserable just because I didn't use my humidifier. I have been there with the nasal mucosa being unhappy with the humidity...and it is miserable. Really bad allergy like symptoms that last for about 3 days. Don't risk it.
At least take the humidifier and have it available just in case you find out that your nose isn't so happy with the humidity available over there.

If you can drink the tap water you can use it in the humidifier. The worst thing that will happen is that little bit of mineral build up which is easily removed if it happens.
You can also use bottled water if you wish and again the worst thing is maybe some mineral build up on the water chamber walls.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Mon May 22, 2017 11:37 am

This keeps coming up - maybe the best version of an answer will get pinned to the top section one day.

1. There isn't a law that sez it has to be distilled water. That's just "the manufacturer recommends". And I think they give that kind of 'may contain nuts' advisory, like many other businesses do these days, to avoid getting sued.

2. Outside of the USA, and in many countries in Europe, getting the right kind of distilled water is difficult. And it's usually expensive.

If you go to an automobile-product store or a multi-product supermarket and ask for "distilled water", they will happily sell you some. But it's the kind designed to go in car batteries. It is not 'potable' - that is, fit to drink. You should not put this kind of water anywhere near your mouth or your XPAP machine.

3. In some countries (and outside of the USA), if you go to the pharmacy, they can sell you medical grade distilled water - which is safe to drink, and can go in your machine. But as I said above, it will cost you. And they might have to order it for you - meaning: they might not have it in stock. And you need it today ...

4. There is an alternative - bottled water - which in most countries is now widely available. And provided the bottle has never been opened, it is safe to drink.

Bottled water comes in three varieties:

a. the kind that is carbonated - that is, has had carbon dioxide blown into it under pressure, to make it fizzy or bubbly when opened.

And whether you like that taste experience or don't like that taste experience, you do not put carbonated water in your humidifier. Things will get weird when the heater plate warms up.

b. the kind that has not just some minerals in it, it has extra minerals in it, as a kind of vitamin-like supplement.

So, along with the usual calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate, there are traces of sodium salt, potassium salt, copper, zinc, and so on. And people drink this kind of mineral water for their health. In Italy and France, for example, it's quite the thing.

You do not put this kind of mineral water in your humidifier. That will really f**k it up.

c. the kind of water which (i) has no bubbles and (ii) has fewer minerals and (iii) has less calcium carbonate and less magnesium carbonate - and which some people call 'still' or 'soft'.

Beverage purists and refreshment gourmands say this kind of water brings out the taste of expensive tea or coffee when they are made with it. And even on its own, most people find it appealing, or that it has a 'clean' taste.

In many countries, this latter kind of bottled water is the nearest thing you will get to the distilled water you can readily buy in America which is both safe to drink, safe to use in your humifidier, and cheap. Well, cheap-ish.

The YMMV warning: still, bottled, soft water will probably leave some residues in your tank - but not as much as tap water does.

And said residues come off quite easily after a 15-minute soak in a solution of one part distilled vinegar to three parts water.

And, er, that's it.
Last edited by rick blaine on Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 am

I use a PR 560 without humidifier for travel and on the boat. I've found that without the humidifier, there's a strong "Darth Vader" noise, so I use a muffler and sometimes a filter to cut down the noise. I use a basic, unheated hose because these add-ons don't quite fit with the heated hose. Make sure you try out your setup before you leave.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Buy the lowest priced bottled drinking water--the more costly, the more likely to have extra minerals.
HVAC is unpredictable enough, you leave nothing to chance.

Post by Guest » Mon May 22, 2017 2:19 pm

jpek wrote:I would practice first without a humidifier, but I still don't know how to predict how it will be THERE without a humidifier.
I don't know a way to predict but I know how to prepare.
jpek wrote: I've never slept without a humidifier, and I'm not sure how to test if I'll be able to do it on a trip, especially taking climate and weather into account. Any advice anyone?
Try sleeping here w/o the humidifier so you know. Then pack everything you will need to use a humidifier on your trip.

I've not seen or tried one but I do remember when I was young mom had some kind of filter that was supposed to remove the minerals from the water for her iron. Prob no one irons any more much less demineralize their water to use in an iron. Just a thought.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 22, 2017 2:43 pm

jpek wrote:

jpek
You are not following the critical path by thinking about this so much without first trying it at home.

For all we know, you live in a tent in the Everglades and will do horribly without the humidifier. Or you could be living in Phoenix and not even miss the humidifier.

First things first.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm

My advice is to be prepared for anything--tben play it by ear.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm

As already stated, see what's it's like to sleep without humidification before you leave (for several nights running). If you're OK with it, that should be fine.

If you decide to take your humidifier, you can use any potable water (except carbonated, flavored, or colored). When you get back home, soak in 50% vinegar solution. If available, put the mixture on pre-heat for up to half an hour.

I went to what used to be called Yugoslavia and used either bottled or tap water (depending on local advice in each place). By the time I got home, they tank really looked kind of disgusting. However, I did the above and it looks good as new.

Last edited by D.H. on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.