new and wake up almost immediately after falling asleep?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
crob

new and wake up almost immediately after falling asleep?

Post by crob » Sun May 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Did any of you start off unable to stay asleep at all? I am falling asleep and waking up immediately. After an hour of repeating this, I am giving up. I wake up and feel like I have to adjust my breath as if it is not normal. I find falling asleep fairly easy.
I have a ResMed auto AirCurve 10 ASV bipap set to :
min epap of 4
max ipap of 12
biflex setting of 3
ramp off

I am trying to show pics of the short amount of sleepyhead data.....hope to do this soon.

Lucyhere

Re: new and wake up almost immediately after falling asleep?

Post by Lucyhere » Sun May 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Your min epap of 4 is very low making it difficult to breath. Try raising the pressure to 6 and see what happens.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 pm

What is your minimum and maximum PS?
Why are you on ASV....what was your diagnosis?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon May 22, 2017 2:16 am

When I was waking quickly after falling asleep, it turned out my settings weren't adequate to address my breathing issues. Hard to sleep when one feels on the verge of smothering. Maybe when you've responded to the questions and some tweaks are made to your settings your ability to stay asleep will improve.

crob

Post by crob » Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 am

I'm not sure what min and max PS is? Does an auto bipap have these? I do not see them written on my script.
I have mild obstructive sleep apnea.
My AHI on my initial home sleep study was 8.8.
AHI supine 9.9
AHI Left 2.7
AHI Right 10.2
AHI prone ).
Do these numbers just reflect what positions I slept on most that single night?

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon May 22, 2017 4:54 am

PS - pressure setting(s) on an auto (non-auto Cpap has only one pressure) are those prescribed by your doctor based on your sleep study results. 4 and 20 are the machine default high and low (possible) settings - the machines can't be set for higher or lower than those. However, too many doctors are not familiar with Pap equipment and believe that even a low setting of 4 is adequate - on an auto machine - to be able to prevent apneas at much higher levels (e.g. 10 or more), but that's not the case as it can take too much time for that to happen, so the majority of us adjust machines to start at somewhat higher low pressure setting levels - instead of 4, we use 7, often more than that, and don't feel deprived of air as we do at 4. It's not a good idea to arbitrarily jump from 4 to e.g. 10 at one time tho'... you might need only 6 or 8 to be effective (the low pressure setting vs the high one is the meaningful, useful one... forget the high setting (e.g. 20) for the moment). Move your low pressure setting from 4 to (as mentioned above) 7 for a few nights and see how you feel and what your AHI reading is - that's the one that gives overall results of the night's sleep. If you feel rested and 'treated' at 7, you can leave things there, but if you still have problems, then it may be time to download appropriate software (Sleepyhead) that we can work with you on to see what else is taking place overnight before moving your pressure around randomly.

The results (figs) of how you slept during your study reflect the AHI's seen when you slept on your back, your side, etc... back sleeping provokes more apneas, side sleeping does not. But those figs are from the study and what you may see (on Sleepyhead) are likely to be slightly different.

crob

Post by crob » Mon May 22, 2017 5:08 am

Thank you!
If you look at my first post on this thread, isn't the min epap of 4 and max ipap of 12 the pressure settings on this auto bipap?

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon May 22, 2017 5:17 am

Yes. You could leave the high setting at 12, but many like to keep it higher (as I said, the default high is 20) to allow any events incidentally higher than 12 to be recorded..

crob

Post by crob » Mon May 22, 2017 5:53 am

What do you think could be not allowing me to stay asleep? What are some possibilities?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 22, 2017 6:48 am

crob wrote:I have a ResMed auto AirCurve 10 ASV bipap set to :
Is your machine an ASV bilevel? If it is then it is a very special bilevel machine and it does indeed have PS in auto mode.
PS is kinda important depending on the problem.
It's the setting difference between the inhale pressure and the exhale. If you are on bilevel auto (even plain and not ASV) there will be PS (Pressure support) settings shown and they are very important settings sometimes depending on diagnosis.
Not all Bilevels (or BiPaps which is Respironics marketing term) are ASV machines...some are nothing more that cpaps with greater flexibility in pressure support.

You maybe should get the available software and register here at the forum and post one of the software reports daily details.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 am

Crob - If I misunderstood the nature of your machine (and therefore gave the wrong advice) I'm very sorry.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 22, 2017 7:17 am

Julie...your advice may not be all that wrong...if the PS is set to 0 and ASV machine is working/functioning pretty much like apap in auto adjusting mode. It's what we do when we "dumb down" and ASV to make it work/function like cpap or apap....play with PS a bit.
Default settings for PS on ASV is probably 0 Minimum and 15 Maximum but since the minimum EPAP and Max IPAP have been changed and aren't default settings then I am not going to assume that PS was left at default settings.

I have seen some ASVs with both PS minimum and maximum set to 0 which pretty much makes the machine a glorified apap. Useless for treating centrals for sure no matter what max IPAP is.

We really need to know for sure what mode and all the exact settings before doing much speculating about anything.
Plus the diagnosis really needs to be known if ASV really is the machine here. Max IPAP of 12 won't do much to help centrals even if the PS minimum was 15 because max IPAP has tied its little hands.
crob wrote:What do you think could be not allowing me to stay asleep? What are some possibilities?
Well it's really hard to do anything but make a WAG (wild ass guess) when we don't have all the pertinent information that is available but off hand...how about sub optimally treated sleep apnea events causing you to wake up?
How about leaks?
Get the available software and start digging and make educated decisions instead of wild ass guesses.

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 am

also, the 4 may be too low an initial pressure and you are waking up because of low o2?
I would try 6 as a minimum pressure

crob

Post by crob » Mon May 22, 2017 1:04 pm

I did touch base with the home health care agency who gave me the cpap. Talked to a respiratory therapist. She told me to put in a call to my doctor to ask for a sleep lab titration. She said in the short times that I have been on it, I had many events.
I have not had a sleep lab titration. Only a home study.
And of course the doctor is not in today!!

crob

Post by crob » Mon May 22, 2017 1:05 pm

I had been prescribed the bipap because I was struggling with the exhales on an auto cpap.