ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WomblingFree

Re: ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

Post by WomblingFree » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:05 pm

I bought the Airmini and, as others have reported, also found the N20 very noisy.
ResSleep in Oz told me that the N20 is 2dB noisier than the Autoset version of the same mask. Thats a lot!
If my wife wakes up, she cannot get back to sleep again because of my noise.

Anyone using the mini with the P10 mask? How noisy is that one?

heyjudeonline

Post by heyjudeonline » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 pm

You definitely don't need a mount, but I can tell you that the mask is a darth vader killer. I HATE it.

heyjudeonline

Post by heyjudeonline » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 pm

old 9 model with P10 nasal mask....so little sound, it's just like a person breathing. Much louder with Activa mask.
New mini - Horrendous. You can hear the mask sound outside the bedroom. Wakes me up! What a shame.

heyjudeonline

Post by heyjudeonline » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank goodness for the 30 day trial period. Sending the airmini back and upgrading to Airsense 10 from my S9 - that will do me until they have done some work fixing the mask issue on this prototype release.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:32 pm

heyjudeonline wrote:Thank goodness for the 30 day trial period. Sending the airmini back and upgrading to Airsense 10 from my S9 - that will do me until they have done some work fixing the mask issue on this prototype release.
Where/who has a 30 day trial on a machine?

gosman

Post by gosman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 am

Are there any better alternatives in mini from any of the other companies? And I must have insurance (medicare) pay for it.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:51 pm

gosman wrote:Are there any better alternatives in mini from any of the other companies? And I must have insurance (medicare) pay for it.
IF you want insurance or medicare to pay for any cpap it will have to be a full size cpap, afaik.
I travel with a full size cpap all the time.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 pm

hobbs wrote:
heyjudeonline wrote:Thank goodness for the 30 day trial period. Sending the airmini back and upgrading to Airsense 10 from my S9 - that will do me until they have done some work fixing the mask issue on this prototype release.
Where/who has a 30 day trial on a machine?
Well for everybody who is "renting" their machine, if it was REALLY a rental, that would mean that if you decided you didn't like it you could bring it back to the DME.

You notice how a particular machine transaction goes back and forth between being a rental or a purchase depending upon which one is worse for the patient in whatever circumstance?

gosman

Post by gosman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:42 pm

I have found that each Resmed product that has gotten smaller has gotten louder. I sent the air sense 10 back and gladly use my S9 every night which is the last great quite cpap machine!

Frequent Traveler

Post by Frequent Traveler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:17 pm

I too got the Air Mini and was excited about not hauling my Airsense 10 around. The size and trans-portability of the Air Mini is excellent but... the Darth Vader sound made due to the special Humidifier connection is unbearable. Since it sits about 10-15 inches down the hose from your head, as you try to fall asleep its all you can hear and focus on. It sounds so loud (although to my wife it was not very loud - so that was a plus), I could barely fall asleep with it as it is way too loud. I later tried eliminating the humidifier are and just run a straight hose through it and the noise as considerably less but I have not yet tried to sleep that way. I hope Resmed figures out a fix in a hurry I am using the p10 mask which is what i use with my Airsense 10.

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:48 am

Just sent my Airmini back for a full refund within the 30 days.
Tried a N20 and P20 mask but the noise is the same.
Although it sounds like its generated in the HumidX box, actually its the mini itself generating the noise and transferring it up the tube so its not a mask issue at all. Resmed acknowledge this and have said thus "The noise is actually conducted noise, that is the noise from the device travels up the tube and hits the vent. The way the noise is compressed and then exits the vent and spreads makes it seem like vent noise."
Don't believe me? pull the mask off the hose and stick the hose in your mouth and breath. Amazing amount of noise coming out of the machine.

I thought the unit showed great promise but its simply too noisy for both me and my wife. As its the unit at fault, it'll take a complete redesign to fix so maybe a version 2 model once they clear all the current stock.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:17 am

WomblingFree wrote:Just sent my Airmini back for a full refund within the 30 days.
Where did you purchase a machine that had a 30 day return policy?

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes, exactly what DME gives you a 30 day trial period on the Air Mini? As far as I have seen, the only thing returnable is the mask, to exchange it for a different mask type. I did now know you can return the machine itself.

OldSaint

Post by OldSaint » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 pm

Was impressed by the features of the AirMini – lightweight, compact size, small power supply and no water type humidifier required. Exactly what I was looking for, a convenient auto CPAP machine that can be used at home and for travelling. Tried it for a few days and was utterly disappointed, not with the machine but the N20 nasal mask setup. It required the AirMini elbow with the HumidX chamber that created a lot of “in your face” noise (like Darth Vader).

On starting the machine, the noise was tolerable at first but as the pressure ramped up it got louder and louder. When the pressure reached 16 cm/H2O the noise was like a jet engine. I tried using earplugs but to no avail, as the noise echoed in my head.

The second thing wrong was the mask elbow setup with the HumidX chamber and the air vents hanging around my chin area. This resulted in the cold air blowing on to my neck. Tried rotating it the other way only to have the air hitting my forehead. This setup is unlike other mask types where air vents are at the tip shooting air away from the face. Please note the tubing from the machine also has no heating option.

Because of these 2 factors, I was not able to get a decent night’s sleep. Lucky for me I was able to return the machine and get back my money as ResMed in Australia has a 30 days Refund Scheme promoting this AirMini.

If ResMed can overcome the above issues with the mask setup, I would rush back and get one.

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:46 pm

hobbs wrote:
WomblingFree wrote:Just sent my Airmini back for a full refund within the 30 days.
Where did you purchase a machine that had a 30 day return policy?

ResSleep (part of ResMed)