ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cardsfan

Re: ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

Post by Cardsfan » Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 am

The noise is in the P 10 mask. I have used a Swift NX Nano (nasal) mask for 2 yrs. I wanted to try the P10 to see if I could use the airmini with the P10 for mini mask. Last night, on my first night using the P10, I immediately heard Darth Vader inhale loudly, and exhale loudly.
Pros- much lighter headgear, no vent exhaust blowing cold air on my arms.
Cons- Darth Vadar noise with the P10.

I got used to the noise during the first night, but the P10 definitely makes a breath by breath noise I did not hear with the Swift FX Nano. If you are considering buying the Airsense mini, I suggest you try the masks that go with it before you purchase the machine. You can get mask return insurance at our sponsor. But, their website says the Airmini is not returnable according to Resmed policy.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Sun May 21, 2017 3:54 pm

southerndoc wrote: You can't access any data from the Air Mini. It connects via Bluetooth to your phone. I don't think there is any cellular connection.
So does that mean your doctor cannot get detailed data? I (wrongly) was assuming that the bluetooth connection would upload the detailed data to a Resmed server using your phone's cellular connection so the clinician is able to access it in Airview.

If not, it does not sound like an "everyday" machine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 21, 2017 4:11 pm

From what has been said earlier, it seems to be a dedicated travel machine;
even down to the suggestion that it will not be covered by insurance.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun May 21, 2017 5:16 pm

southerndoc wrote: Setting up was easy. It came preconfigured, but I tinkered with the settings a bit as my prescription is old and I've used SleepyHead data to fine tune things. You have to download an iOS/Android app to set it up. I had already downloaded the app and accepted the terms, which meant I had to delete and reinstall it. When you first open the app, you hold down the ResMed and Mini icons for 3 seconds. It then enters into clinician mode and you accept the terms. After you make your adjustments, you exit out. From there it goes to the regular Mini app menu. I'm not sure how to get back to the clinician menu without deleting the app first. I'm sure there is a better way, but I haven't found it yet.
This might work without reinstalling the app.
Using the Bluetooth screen

To open the Bluetooth screen, tap the Bluetooth icon in top right corner of the Dashboard screen
From the Bluetooth screen, you can enter Clinical mode by holding one finger on the ResMed logo and another on the AirMini logo simultaneously for 3 seconds.
From Clinical mode, you can disconnect the machine from your smart device by tapping on the Bluetooth icon in the top corner of the settings screen and following the prompts.

From https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare ... rmini.html

The setup video seems to show this near the end.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Cardinalphan

ResMed Air Mini - Initial Impressions

Post by Cardinalphan » Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Levman, looking to hear your verdict on the noise after a night's sleep. I travel with the S9 and would love to swap for the smaller size. Thanks

wcj1

Post by wcj1 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Would anyone with a Mini in hand be willing to download a sound/decibel meter to their phone and measure the Mini and mask compared to their current machine/mask please?

While 'Darth Vader' is descriptive, it is also subjective and I am now holding off on ordering because of these noise reports, which are also conflicting. Thanks much.

judyo

Post by judyo » Sun May 21, 2017 11:43 pm

in response to wcj1

Hi downloaded the decibel app and had a try - I had my phone on the pillow in the same position for each mask - for my regular machine (F&P sleepstyle 600 using a F&P petite 406 mask) the reading was between 57 and 58 - didnt fluctuate that much when inhaling and exhaling - I then tried it with airmini using a N20 mask and the reading ranged between 65.8 (when breathing in) to 77.5 (when breathing out) - so definitely noisier on the exhale. Would be interested to find out if others tested and their results.

judyo

Post by judyo » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi - just a correction to above post the higher decibel reading for the airmini was on the breathing in

Ozray67

Post by Ozray67 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:53 am

Thanks for doing the decibel test on the AirMini. It is definitely louder on the inhalation. To me the sound seems to be generated by the AirMini as it seems to be on a breathing logorithem of stronger and weaker airflow. It is not based solely on my own breathing rythmn. I am using the AutoSet function so I do not know if there is any difference on CPAP only setting. I seem to be getting used to the sounds. I think that it will all depend on how much noise you can tolerate. Most of us are quite used to some noise.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 am

Thank you everyone for your very helpful reviews.

I'm slowly going off the idea of purchasing an AirMini as there seems to be less pros than cons.

The main advantage being size, but to be honest it's not that much of a hassle to hand carry my AutoSet.

The pricing (comparable with AutoSet), lack of humidifier for F20, increased noise, increased cost of consumables and inability to source full data are probably going to be deal breakers. Just having a shiny new toy isn't doing it for me, I think it needs further development.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

mat_889

Post by mat_889 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi, You said that:

"Setting up was easy. It came preconfigured, but I tinkered with the settings a bit as my prescription is old and I've used SleepyHead data to fine tune things."

Where didi you get it and was your provider configuring it for you? Internet days are always better but I'm not sure what my prescription should be and wouldn't want to mess around with it.

Happy Dude

Post by Happy Dude » Mon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm

It just so happens that I work in acoustics. Here are my measured noise levels:

At ear, breathing cycle (ie inhaling exhaling): 44 dBA
At humidifier (close to chin), breathing cycle: 52 dBA
At humidifier (close to chin), holding breath: 42 dBA
At machine, holding breath: 39 dBA
Ambient: 21 dBA

Note that these levels are dBA, not dB. The A means that my sound level meter was set to modify electronically the sound level frequency response to an international standard to quantify the human response of sounds of differing character and loudness. Um, that means that the SLM was set to hear just like your ears. Nothing wrong with dB results though - it's all relative.

Any noise that is 20 dBA (or even 10 dBA really) above the ambient noise is going to be dominant and highly noticeable. If you were in an relatively noisy environment, say a business class long haul flight, the airmini noise may not be as noticeable. You're probably more likely to be in a quiet(er) hotle room more often though.

These numbers support my observations that the machine noise is audible but not necessarily an issue in the context of the "breathing noise". It is the character of the machine noise that draws attention, not the level.

The breathing noise interrupted my wife's sleep last night, so it'll be going back I'm afraid.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Tue May 23, 2017 6:00 am

mat_889 wrote:Hi, You said that:

"Setting up was easy. It came preconfigured, but I tinkered with the settings a bit as my prescription is old and I've used SleepyHead data to fine tune things."

Where didi you get it and was your provider configuring it for you? Internet days are always better but I'm not sure what my prescription should be and wouldn't want to mess around with it.
I purchased from CPAPSupplyUSA.com. They have my prescription on file there. See the previous posts about accessing the clinician menu to set your own CPAP/APAP levels.

wcj1

Post by wcj1 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

Thank you to everyone who has reported on the noise levels. I too am holding off on purchasing at this point.

Grumpy Bear

Post by Grumpy Bear » Tue May 23, 2017 2:31 pm

I am inclined to hold off buying as well. I hope the folks at Resmed are reading these boards. What annoys me is that with every model they change the tube and the plugs so nothing is compatible. I would love to be able to interchange tubing/nasal mask between my S9, 10 and the airmini, but of course I can't. And I invested alot of money in a Resmed battery to serve as backup and to use for camping, and of course that won't be compatible with the mini, it will have its own new battery that will only work with that machine. Its like they took a page out of Apples playbook. I think they are getting greedy. This is almost twice as expensive as other "travel" machines, and won't be covered by insurance. You can bet the battery will be at least another $500. Proprietary, one machine only, P10 mask, expensive humidificaton disks. A decked out travel outfit will be close to $2000. And reports are now that it's annoyingly loud such that people are returning it.......... Unless they wise up, this could be a flop.