Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask review thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

beet

Re: Respironics DreamWear Gel Nasal pillow mask review thread

Post by beet » Fri May 26, 2017 4:52 am

I'd appreciate hearing whether users who find the P10 irritates their nostrils get less irritation from the Dreamwear Gel.

I've been alternating between the P10, which does irritate my nostrils, and the original Dreamwear, which I have trouble breathing through when my allergies are worse than average.

It's weird that Philips doesn’t provide a cushion sizing chart for the Gel Dreamwear. I use a small Dreamwear and a large P10, so I probably would need to try the Gel kit with all 3 sizes.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 26, 2017 7:47 am

beet wrote:I'd appreciate hearing whether users who find the P10 irritates their nostrils get less irritation from the Dreamwear Gel.

I've been alternating between the P10, which does irritate my nostrils, and the original Dreamwear, which I have trouble breathing through when my allergies are worse than average.

It's weird that Philips doesn’t provide a cushion sizing chart for the Gel Dreamwear. I use a small Dreamwear and a large P10, so I probably would need to try the Gel kit with all 3 sizes.
Yes, I think a little less potential for irritation from the gel nasal pillows than the P10 nasal pillows...just a little less because the P10 is still very soft but sometimes I have found it to be slightly irritating. The gel pillows are squishier...softer.
I think the biggest problem with the P10 is that they tend to run slightly smaller than say the Swift FX pillows and they will try to climb up inside the nostrils and that hurts. Been there and done that. Fixed by moving up a size but someone using the Large already has no where to go since Large is the biggest one they have.

I think I can understand why no sizing chart is available for any nasal pillow mask. Nostrils vary so much not only in size but shape and it would be real hard to come up with some sort of standard that covered the bulk of the population.
I think it's just better to start with the fit pack and have all sizes available.
I think the gel pillows maybe are running a bit on the large side. I am using the Small and I kinda which I could try an XSmall but it's not available. I use XSmall in every nasal pillow mask out there (and I have tried several) and the P10 is the only one I have to use the Small in. Can't use the XSmall because it tries to sneak up inside my nose and it hurts and it also collapses the pillow and I can't breathe well.

If you want to try it and you get the fit pack and you end up really liking the mask and keeping it you can always trade any unused sizes with someone who might have your size that they don't need. Not many people here yet using it but in a few months I predict it will be used by a substantial number of people so your option for trading will have increased chances.
Like if you end up preferring the large and have no use for the small...I would trade you mine for your Small because there's no way I could ever use the large. No sense it it going to waste.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jkb1234

Post by Jkb1234 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:53 pm

That looks comfortable. I have the swift LT. Do you have to have a prescription to order?
Phillips Respironics SystemOne with Dreamwear Nasal Cushion. CPAP mode 9.0

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Sat May 27, 2017 10:08 am

Update

I'm still very happy with this nasal pillow, but I have noticed a bit of a problem. Two problems, related.

1. I have a small face (I guess), and the stems that connect to the nasal pillows are just a bit too long for me. To be comfortable for my nose, the mask part below the pillows sits right on top of my upper lip. Not where a mustache would be, but on my actual lip.

2. Before I realized that I could pull the mask down over my lip and still have no leaks, I had it up highter, and it squashed my nose up so that it was sore in the morning when I woke up and took the mask off.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:42 am

I have the older version. Is there any difference between the new and old pillow other then the material used? If I use the large should the gel large fit the same?

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 am

Bobby269 wrote:I have the older version. Is there any difference between the new and old pillow other then the material used? If I use the large should the gel large fit the same?
The differences in the sizes of the DreamWear Nasal pillows is the pillows themselves which pertain to nostril size....I would use whatever size I used in the P10 as a starting point.
The original DreamWear cushion sizing was more about width of the end of the nose...or I guess width and depth and nothing really to do with nostril size. I suppose it would be possible to need a large due to width and dept but have tiny nostril openings and need the Small.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wreckmster

Post by Wreckmster » Tue May 30, 2017 8:17 pm

I just received my new Dreamwear mask with the new Gel pillows. I have been using a nasal mask and have always wanted to try the Dreamwear mask. I recently developed problems with it leaking all of a sudden. tried for a few days to resolve the problem but couldnt. So once I read about the Gel pillow addition to the Dreamwear, I decided to go for it. Well, that was the best decision I have made since deciding to have a sleep study done. I am using a medium frame and medium pillows and they seal up very well and I sleep all night without issues. (Knock on wood) So far so good

2 Thumbs up from me for sure...

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Tue May 30, 2017 10:07 pm

At the CPAP.com link, it specifically states you get one item at one size. And warranty returns only. I didn't see anywhere to purchase any kind of return insurance.

So if you get the wrong size, you just have to spend more money and hope you can sell the previous one?
Or spend $70 more for the fit pack, and hardware you don't need?

Ed

Very helpful stuff:
"Taming the Mirage Quattro" http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 30, 2017 10:24 pm

EdNerd wrote:At the CPAP.com link, it specifically states you get one item at one size. And warranty returns only. I didn't see anywhere to purchase any kind of return insurance.

So if you get the wrong size, you just have to spend more money and hope you can sell the previous one?
Return insurance is only available on complete mask packages. Never has been available for replacement parts which is what just the gel pillow happens to be.

The Fit Pack isn't $109...if you call (like I mentioned in the first post here in this thread) and ask you can get a special discounted price and that is $89...you gotta call though.

Now if a person already has the DreamWear original frame, etc and just wants to try the gel pillows....figuring out the size to order could be a problem if you never have used a nasal pillow mask and don't have a clue as to how the sizing works.

KenM

Post by KenM » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 am

Pugsy wrote:
EdNerd wrote:At the CPAP.com link, it specifically states you get one item at one size. And warranty returns only. I didn't see anywhere to purchase any kind of return insurance.

Return insurance is only available on complete mask packages. Never has been available for replacement parts which is what just the gel pillow happens to be.

The Fit Pack isn't $109...if you call (like I mentioned in the first post here in this thread) and ask you can get a special discounted price and that is $89...you gotta call though.

Now if a person already has the DreamWear original frame, etc and just wants to try the gel pillows....figuring out the size to order could be a problem if you never have used a nasal pillow mask and don't have a clue as to how the sizing works.

I got lucky. I used the small Dreamwear cushion.
I ordered the small Dreamwear gel pillow, and its a good fit. Took a gamble on the size as I have never used a pillow before. the Brevida is kind of a hybrid between cushion and pillow. Thats the only other nasal type mask I have used and that size was the XS/S

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Wed May 31, 2017 11:35 am

My wife's first mask was the AirFit P10.
The pillows weren't the issue - it was the headgear.
Now she uses the Dreamwear - fits a lot better.
Could go to the DME and find out what size she had on the P10.

But if I had to order two of the pillows, I'd be just as good if I ordered the whole Fit Pack.
Yeah - that makes more sense.

Thanks for the help!!
Ed

Very helpful stuff:
"Taming the Mirage Quattro" http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8

Post by Guest » Wed May 31, 2017 11:44 pm

I don't really get the Dream-ware nasal pillow mask attraction.
The Resmed P10 is the perfect nasal pillow mask. Great air diffusion that the Dream-ware lacks. Dream-ware has an air vent in the pillow Housing and another one at the top of your head.
It blows on my pillow and makes noise, the one in the nasal pillow blows out on my pillow or my wife or whatever is in the way.
Why would anyone want all the silicone tubing of the dream-ware mask pushing on their face when you can have the less intrusive and simple headgear of the P10?

Post by Guest » Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 pm

It's marketing 101
People have to have the latest and greatest product as they believe it has to be better than the product before it.
Marketing counts on this inherent instinct in the human animal.
Problem is when the best has already been presented to you, you find reasons to skip over it and keep searching for the holy grail.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:12 am

The Resmed P10 does not have the hose coming out of the top of the mask. My first mask was the P10 and the hose just got in the way and disturbed my sleep. I realise that you can solve this problem with hose hangers but the Dreamwear solves it for you. The one issue of the Dreamwear is leakage when you are side sleeping. With experimentation on how tight I make the nasal piece this is not as bad an issue as it originally was and my leak rates are well under what they should be and don't register as bad on SH.

Now that Dreamwear have created a pillow, this should all but totally resolve the problem. My nasal gel pillows have arrived in the country (10 days ago) but are still having a long winter nap at an Australia Post facility. I'm looking forward to seeing how the pillows work.