stomach endoscopy & sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnmv1969

stomach endoscopy & sleep apnea

Post by jnmv1969 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:44 am

Hey Good CPAP'ers -

Can anyone tell me about their experience of having a stomach endoscopy, and how the docs managed your sleep apnea? I know that intubation is used during a typical anaesthesia procedure - but what happens when they are trying to get a thin camera down your throat at the same time?

Thanks in advance -

JV

LSAT

Re: stomach endoscopy & sleep apnea

Post by LSAT » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 am

Absolutely nothing to fret about....In most cases you are administered versed. With that med you are actually partially awake during the procedure, but you don't remember it. The procedure takes only about 10 minutes after which you will be groggy for a while. Most people go home about 30-60 minutes after completion. (I have had 5-6 of this procedure).

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue May 16, 2017 9:34 am

jnmv1969 wrote:Hey Good CPAP'ers -

Can anyone tell me about their experience of having a stomach endoscopy, and how the docs managed your sleep apnea? I know that intubation is used during a typical anaesthesia procedure - but what happens when they are trying to get a thin camera down your throat at the same time?

Thanks in advance -

JV
It would be very unusual to be intubated during this procedure. You will not have any problem breathing. Here is a description of what to expect - http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorder ... ndoscopy#1

For most people, it is an easy procedure. It's also quick.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Tue May 16, 2017 1:27 pm

xxyzx wrote:not sure what the question is
are you wondering how you breathe when anesthesia puts you out ?
that is there problem not yours

let the docs worry about how to get all that in your throat
i dont recall my wife having any anesthesia and she has had two endos

naturally you should tell them the situation before you take your clothes off
as at taht point my anesthesists didnt give a crap
just sign that release from damages if thigns go wrong
and they will wing it

1/5000 die from the anesthesia

my 3 experiences were all terrible showed me that i will never ever have anesthesia again
as well as that anesthesists are liars and many totally incompetent
they asked my meds but the first guy was from iran and didnt know what the meds were
i had to explain them to him and what they did

i would have to be unconscious from a plane crash for them to be able to do that anesthesia to me again
Without a clue, you just ramble on. In the best case, wasting the OP's time. In the worst case, causing her needless confusion and worry.

bigdave36

Post by bigdave36 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:05 pm

I just had an upper endoscopy a month ago. Nothing to it. They gave an osa (obstructive sleep apnea) band for my wrist and I suspect monitored me a bit closer..No intubation. I was out about 30 minutes and on my way home after about 30 minutes more. They put me out with propofol. No problems or worrys at all. Didn't bring or need my machine either....Good Luck

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 am

xxyzx wrote:
Hang Fire wrote:
xxyzx wrote:not sure what the question is
are you wondering how you breathe when anesthesia puts you out ?
that is there problem not yours

let the docs worry about how to get all that in your throat
i dont recall my wife having any anesthesia and she has had two endos

naturally you should tell them the situation before you take your clothes off
as at taht point my anesthesists didnt give a crap
just sign that release from damages if thigns go wrong
and they will wing it

1/5000 die from the anesthesia

my 3 experiences were all terrible showed me that i will never ever have anesthesia again
as well as that anesthesists are liars and many totally incompetent
they asked my meds but the first guy was from iran and didnt know what the meds were
i had to explain them to him and what they did

i would have to be unconscious from a plane crash for them to be able to do that anesthesia to me again
Without a clue, you just ramble on. In the best case, wasting the OP's time. In the worst case, causing her needless confusion and worry.
=========

i have more than a clue
and you are just an internet troll
As one who is very sensitive to med side effects and who was scared to death about undergoing anesthesia, I wanted to chime in. I have posted about these experiences previously but it bears repeating in light of what I feel are your unnecessary scare tactics.

For various reasons, I decided I wanted to speak with an anesthesiologist prior to my 2015 septoplasty vs. waiting on the day of it when I didn't feel so great due to being in a dehydrated fasting state. The person I met with listened very carefully and took my concerns very seriously. She assured me that all medications would be minimized and interestingly advised me to not take the Versed that is typically given as a preop medication to squash anxiety. I did very well and thanks to this doctor, I no longer had fears about being put under anesthesia which served me well when I had to have another procedure under GA this year.

I no longer felt the need to meet with an anesthesiologist ahead of time but I still wanted to speak to someone on the phone to express the same concerns. This person was very reassuring and interestingly, he also advised me to skip the versed. He also said medications would be minimized.

Unfortunately, I woke up with pain but heck, they did take my concerns seriously. LOL! And it was quickly relieved with Fentanyl.

I am so sorry you had a bad experience with anesthesia. As one who many times in the past got rare med side effects, I do empathize with your situation.

But just like it would be unfair for me to tell people they should never take meds because of my experiences, it is unfair for you to do the same regarding anesthesia.

49er

ajack

Post by ajack » Wed May 17, 2017 5:51 am

If they are just going in for a look, It's not a big deal. I didn't have an anesthetic, I gargled some numbing mouthwash and swallowed when told and the tube went in easy. It really is just the thought of it. Ask me if you want to know more.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 17, 2017 6:27 am

bigdave36 wrote:I just had an upper endoscopy a month ago. Nothing to it. They gave an osa (obstructive sleep apnea) band for my wrist and I suspect monitored me a bit closer..No intubation. I was out about 30 minutes and on my way home after about 30 minutes more. They put me out with propofol. No problems or worrys at all. Didn't bring or need my machine either....Good Luck
Thank you. This is the kind of post the OP needs to see. Unfortunately, it is very typical with threads like this that people like to tell their personal horror stories.

Sam: A person who had a bad medical experience walked into a bar.

Joe: How do you know?

Sam: Within two minutes, he had told everyone in the bar about it.

jnmv1969

Post by jnmv1969 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:50 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to the folks who answered my post, and set my mind at ease by telling me about their prior experiences and/or pointing me to where to find more information.

Thanks!!
JV

lego

Post by lego » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 pm

I recently had an EGD and colonoscopy and had many of the same concerns. I was told that light sedation would be used and that there would be no need for CPAP during the procedure because I would still be marginally awake. However, they did say that I might be more comfortable on CPAP while recovering. Also, I'd read that CPAP could make for a quicker recovery. I brought my machine and was glad to have it as I was groggy. Once they wheel you back into recovery they'll have you wait there for 1-2 hours. The nurses were happy to get the CPAP setup. They said it was uncommon to have CPAP there (surgical center), but not unheard of. Also, you might consider picking up an oxygen connector for your CPAP. This way you won't have to come off CPAP if your O2 gets low.

yawnny

Post by yawnny » Thu May 25, 2017 11:29 pm

I had both ends done last year. It was seriously a non event, the worst part for me was the numbing gargle stuff--honestly. I took a pass on the Versed, as I didn't see any advantage to not being able to form a memory of the event, while at the same time fully experiencing it, just unable to recall it. I did let them used a mild pain reliever, which in retrospect didn't seem like it was needed. If you really are nervous, the Versed would probably additionally relax you, if you don't mind the amnesia part. Breathing was just fine--no worries.

Don't dwell on it, it will really amaze you how easy it actually goes. This coming from one of the biggest "procedure" wusses around.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 am

"I did let them used a mild pain reliever, which in retrospect didn't seem like it was needed." Well it obviously did its job then! If you hadn't had it, you may well have wished you'd had.

DeepFriedDuck

Post by DeepFriedDuck » Fri May 26, 2017 7:44 am

lego wrote: Once they wheel you back into recovery they'll have you wait there for 1-2 hours.
Wow! 1-2 hours??? I had the same procedures. When I woke up in the recovery room, my husband was by my side, and I asked him how long I had been there. He said about five minutes. The nurse came in and looked at my pulse and checked my blood pressure. I dressed and left.

CPAP was not necessary.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri May 26, 2017 12:30 pm

DeepFriedDuck wrote:
lego wrote: Once they wheel you back into recovery they'll have you wait there for 1-2 hours.
Wow! 1-2 hours??? I had the same procedures. When I woke up in the recovery room, my husband was by my side, and I asked him how long I had been there. He said about five minutes. The nurse came in and looked at my pulse and checked my blood pressure. I dressed and left.

CPAP was not necessary.
I had the same experience...There is really no recovery...just wake up time.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri May 26, 2017 1:02 pm

LSAT wrote:
DeepFriedDuck wrote:

CPAP was not necessary.
I had the same experience...There is really no recovery...just wake up time.
+1 - same experience.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10