newbie to cpap how long does it take for me to get good sl

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Novello1234

Re: newbie to cpap how long does it take for me to get good sl

Post by Novello1234 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Yes I have not gone for titration yet I am told by the vendor who is looking at my data that my apneas under control but still can't sleep well last night same thing changed to a different mask and like this one better

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed May 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Finding a mask that works for you is very important. Every face is different and what works for one person will not work for someone else. I don't want to alarm you, but I have gone through more than 12 different masks and have found two that work for me. I keep one of each on hand all of the time.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 pm

How long dies it take yo get good night sleep

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Novello1234 wrote:How long dies it take yo get good night sleep
You keep asking the unanswerable. I was fortunate, I started getting a good night's sleep after two nights. But I still have some restless nights thrown in there. Other take weeks or months to adjust. There simply is not one answer to your question. If you don't feel rested we will need to see Sleepyhead data to look for issues, and you need to be consulting with a sleep Dr. as to feeling rested and if there are other possibilities for you daytime tiredness.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Kohkie

Post by Kohkie » Fri May 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi. I am new to cpap just got my trial machine this Tuesday. First day I slept well 2 nd day not that bad Last night I can tell
That I did not sleep well . I slept on my sides mostly previous night slept on my back my doctor says my sleep apneia is worse on my back. How long dies it take to get a good night sleep. I would like to know how long it takes please. Thank you. For reading my post
Hi Novello,

1st of all you should sleep in the position you are most comfortable. Your machine can be adjusted for a good AHI in whatever position you like to sleep. I sleep on my back in an adjustable bed so I have my upper body in a raised position. It's comfortable and by not sleeping on my side I have a better chance of my mask not leaking.

You are lucky to get a loaner machine until your next sleep study. I would not worry too much about the settings on this machine, since you will probably get a totally different machine once you've had your next sleep study. 2.0 is a decent AHI. I try to keep mine at 0.X range, last night it was 0.9. That is something you will deal with once you get your regular machine.

I have been on CPAP for 5.5 years now. A CPAP does not guarantee a good nights sleep. It's a great help, and you should sleep better, but we are all going to have bad nights every so often. I suffer from insomnia, so occasionally I don't get a good nights sleep. However, from my first night on a CPAP (my sleep study) I noticed a huge difference in my quality of life. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea my non-CPAP AHI is 63, so I was extremely sleep deprived. Therefore, I noticed a difference immediately. It might be a slower process for you.

On April 25th I got a new machine and a new mask. Right away I noticed that my numbers went up. In the last 16 days I have made small adjustments and gotten them back to where I like them. I'm sleeping great, except when I have insomnia, so life is good.

Hopefully I answered a few of your questions.
Tami

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:58 am

Thank you kohe read your response I agree it may take time I have some good days and some days where I don't get enough sleep I need to be patient I have the loaner I think for a few weeks only and then I purchase my second study is not until June I am do new to this and learning I like the second mask I am trying what do u think of the red med air sense 10. Also what is the data or graphs people refer to

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat May 20, 2017 12:37 pm

The ResMed Air Sense line is very good. Just make sure you do not get the "CPAP" model. This model does not have full data capability. It will give you basic AH I and usage data. The data people talk about is the data some machines will report using software such as "Sleepyhead". This software will show you minute by minute what your leak rate is, what your pressure is, when you have events and exactly what kind of events they are.

Last edited by Okie bipap on Sat May 20, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi what is the cpap model and does Redmond come with sleepyhead sofelware. I know my vendors has access to my data on lie

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Sleepy head is a free software that was developed by a CPAP user. The software is compatible with many different machines.

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 pm

How does it work with resmed machine

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Novello1234 wrote:How does it work with resmed machine
As near perfect as it gets
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Novello1234

Post by Novello1234 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Update I slept better on Friday and Saturday night it was ok not the greatest. Last night however it took me long time to fall asleep not a great night. My new mask , I like . I am comfortable with it . I guesss I am setting my hopes nigh that the cpap machine will work quickly for my sleep . I will probably need to wait for my second sleep study to see what is happening . The vendor is saying that the data he sees is my apnea is under control I have no clue why my sleep is inconsistent. For those who have gone 2nd time for sleep study do they change or adjust pressure. I am currently on 7 for pressure .My machine starts at 4 when I start it . Thank you for listening