Smoking interfering with CPAP therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: Smoking interfering with CPAP therapy

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:00 pm

palerider wrote:
lawr1000 wrote:
palerider wrote:
shan5150 wrote:I quit smoking before I started CPAP. AHI numbers were fab and felt great. Slipped up on smoking. Stupid. My AHIs went way up so on the cigarette wagon again. So yes, smoking very much affects OSA therapy.
am I the only one that thinks this is getting a bit ridiculous?

Also Posted As:
(ashleigh81)
(Cereal Killer)
(Chevie)
(ChicagoGranny)
(Christine L)
(chunkyfrog)
(CowFish)
(DeadlySleep)
(.)
(DeepFriedDuck)
(DJFaninTN)
(dream321)
(Duck)
(FeelingAwake)
(.)
(Grand-PAP)
(grapeshly)
(Hang Fire)
(health)
(JIMCHI)
(kansihijkh1)
(LindseyMichelle)
(Little Wing)
(Marigail)
(Midnight Strangler)
(mrbreezeet1)
(poppi2)
(rangyunyun)
(robysue)
(RogerSC)
(rohdej)
(sdafdsafdsg09)
(Setj)
(STW)
(Susie Kay)
(TangledHose)
(The Choker)
(TheDuke)
(Toxibbbbbb)
(a troll)
(wangshaohhh1)
(WickedLoki)
(wm_hess)
(Wonderbrah)
(zoocrewphoto)
Yes it is. Why did you blank out . and .?
it's a little app on firefox (foxreplace) that replaces words, probably designed as a 'dirty word filter', I put some of the more egregious usernames from my foe list in there, so I'm less tempted to peek at their vitriol, and thus get sucked into another exchange of stupid.
Narn, I thought you were getting better, guess not, I hate being wrong! I'll write the date down, first time this year! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:01 pm

DeadlySleep wrote:Yes, Pale Rider, it probably looks ridiculous from your POV. But if you knew how much I enjoy smoking ... it's worth some years whacked off at the end of my life.
whack away... but I'm pretty sure the list of 'also posted as' doesn't really correlate to the person that asked the smoking question, just to the increasing sharing of IP addresses, likely among phone users.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 pm

palerider wrote: ...just to the increasing sharing of IP addresses, likely among phone users.
95% of my browsing is via phone, and I did travel recently.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 pm

poppi2 wrote:
palerider wrote: ...just to the increasing sharing of IP addresses, likely among phone users.
so YOU'RE the one using up all the IPs, eh? :stare:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:06 am

poppi2 wrote:

I have never accessed this forum via cell phone. It has probably been a year or more since I used my ipod touch. I switched to a newer one and haven't added the websites. I do travel a bit and use my laptop in hotels. And I have a portable wifi unit that I use sometimes. But it most be an old IP address as I have not accessed the list while traveling for many months, maybe a year or more. Usually just at home.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Setj

Post by Setj » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:28 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:I have never accessed this forum via cell phone.
Same with me. My userid is in that list, and I have never used a phone to log in here.
Seth

(I made a typo when I registered the user name. :oops: )

wm_hess

Post by wm_hess » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:32 am

It's interesting to note the wide variety of geographic locations. We've got the east coast covered with setj, west coast with zoocrewphoto, I'm in Colorado. I use both computer (comcast) and phone (tapatalk on Android). I had thought that ip addresses were somewhat geographic in nature.

-Bill

rohdej

Post by rohdej » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 am

If it is related to IP addresses more likely they have a common internet service provider(Xfinity, Century Link, Verizon, ?) or common transit provider (Cogent, Level 3, Tata, ?)

I'm a smoker that's using Xfinity for my ISP. if anybody wants to dig into it further.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:44 pm

If they insist upon smoking, and who are we to tell anyone how to live their lives, I suggest you get them to smoke pipes. Most pipe smokers don't inhale, the tobacco doesn't have the same chemicals that cigs do and pipes can be very relaxing.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Saladin wrote:If they insist upon smoking, and who are we to tell anyone how to live their lives, I suggest you get them to smoke pipes. Most pipe smokers don't inhale, the tobacco doesn't have the same chemicals that cigs do and pipes can be very relaxing.
plus you can get mouth cancer!!! woohoo!

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:58 pm

palerider wrote:
Saladin wrote:If they insist upon smoking, and who are we to tell anyone how to live their lives, I suggest you get them to smoke pipes. Most pipe smokers don't inhale, the tobacco doesn't have the same chemicals that cigs do and pipes can be very relaxing.
We're not talking about making out with you.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Saladin wrote:
palerider wrote:
We're not talking about making out with you.
https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclop ... 45343.html
fourth paragraph... now, go back to your pipe.. please.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:52 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
rohdej wrote: Short term the smoking is probably unrelated to the open mouth and snoring.
I would say the opposite - Smoking, even one smoke, can irritate the airways causing them to swell slightly. The swelling can cause snoring and mouth opening.
I agree but I've heard that drinking alcohol can cause the airway to contract, so drinking and smoking is better than one or the other, apparently

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 pm

palerider wrote:
Saladin wrote:
palerider wrote:
If someone wants to smoke it is better to smoke a pipe rather than cigarettes. Sorry you can't understand that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Guest wrote:
palerider wrote:
Saladin wrote:
palerider wrote:
If someone wants to smoke it is better to smoke a pipe rather than cigarettes. Sorry you can't understand that.
The lack of warnings on pipe tobacco is particularly troubling because pipe smoke contains the same toxic mix of substances found in cigarette and cigar smoke: roughly 4,000 compounds, over 40 of which are known to cause cancer in humans and animals. Burning tobacco -- in pipes or cigarettes -- also produces a "huge" number of combustion products, Thun says. Like cigarettes, pipe tobacco contains nicotine, a powerful nerve stimulant that's the primary cause of addiction to tobacco.

How much smoke a pipe user inhales can make a big difference in how harmful the practice is, say researchers. "The absolute risks of smoking a pipe depend on how one does it," says Thun. "Those who switch from cigarettes to pipes inhale more deeply and tend to create higher lung cancer risks."

The risk also depends on how much you smoke. "Pipe tobacco should be enjoyed like a fine wine," says Chuck Stanion, managing editor of Pipes and Tobaccos, a quarterly magazine based in Raleigh, North Carolina, that goes out to 75,000 pipe smokers and hobbyists. "You sip it as a connoisseur." His magazine also recommends that pipe smokers do not inhale.

But the American Cancer Society insists that all pipe smokers inhale to some degree. And not inhaling deeply won't necessarily protect you against lung cancer. Nicotine -- which itself doesn't cause cancer -- is easily absorbed through the lungs and tissues of the mouth. According to the Canadian Cancer Society, pipe smoke is alkaline, which allows it to enter the bloodstream through the mucous tissues of the mouth more easily than cigarette smoke.

Pipe smokers are particularly prone to oral cancers, most commonly of the lips, tongue, roof and floor of the mouth, pharynx, larynx, and esophagus. (The black, or air-cured, tobacco used in pipes also carries a higher risk of esophageal cancer than the tobacco used for cigarettes.) Each year, about 7,600 people in the United States die from oral cancer -- the eighth most common cancer in the world --- and the primary causes were tobacco and alcohol use, according to the National Cancer Institute. If not for tobacco use, the NCI concludes, oral cancer would be virtually nonexistent as a cause of death.
source posted above.