Power failure=Suffocate?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Power failure=Suffocate?

Post by Guest » Fri May 12, 2017 11:00 am

More deleted posts. What a way to live. Cleaning up things you don't agree with on the internet is a daunting task.
Guest wrote:
cands wrote:I have actually slept right through a couple of power failures.
It has been just the contrary for me. When the power went off I immediately woke up. It seemed like the noise (fans or motors) just were slowing to a stop as I woke up.

For others still concerned or who want to continue sleeping when the power goes out you can build yourself a battery setup to power your cpap. What else you gonna do in the dark anyway?
Guest wrote:
Hannibal 2 wrote:What about mouth tapers with nasal masks?
God Bless them
I honestly think the brain will wake them up. It's called survival instinct, leave a pull tab.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri May 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Cowboyup wrote:Been using my Resmed S10 for about 2 months. I sleep about 8 hrs a nite and my AHI went from 78 to less than 1. I use the Phillips Amara View full face mask.

What happens if the power goes out? Could I suffocate? Should I buy a computer UPS system or set up a power failure alarm to wake me up!

Thank you!
Unplug the machine some time and try it. Your anti-asphyxia valve should open and you'll breathe with a little more restriction than not having the mask on at all.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri May 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Hannibal 2 wrote:What about mouth tapers with nasal masks?
Most people wake up when it happens or they rip the mask off, force their mouth open, etc.

What we don't know is how many "died quietly in their sleep," because they never post here after death.

If the power comes back on, nobody might realize the power was off. A coroner is probably not going to do an extensive investigation for some "poor sick geezer on a breathing machine who died quietly in his sleep" if there's no evidence of foul play. I'm not sure how you'd distinguish that kind of suffocation from natural death anyway. People tend to lose consciousness with little fuss and die when O2 concentration is low.

Heck, even the Chief Justice of the US supreme court wasn't autopsied when he died apparently not wearing his CPAP machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.